1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

how do u organize clothes

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vpriya, Jan 17, 2008.

1. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Clothes like bra, panties, slip and petticoats. the small items are difficult to keep neat and when someone opens the closet then i dont want it to be seen. what do u do and how do u keep it neat ?
    I just put away all my indian clothes in suitcase as i dont use much in winter.
    what do u do with ur old clothes,which are neat, just expanded due to washing and dryer, or stained ones. i use those for home, but sometimes it is too many set for home.
    i have donated some which i will never wear, but indian clothes i dont donate.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Priya,

Nice to know that others feel the same way as I do where Indian clothes are concerned!! No matter how old, I just have no heart to give away the Indian clothes :) I was forced to, most grudgingly, when I made a big move from one country to anther. That was one rare exception. When I visit India, I try to make some place for good but old Indian clothes and give it away there. Atleast, I know someone will wear it!

The small clothes are always a problem to keep neat. I have bought two small set of drawers which fit well into my closet and houses all my little things. You can also buy plastic drawer sets. They are on rollers too sometimes. Sterilite makes plenty. They are cheap and practical for such small underclothes, scarves, socks etc. I have many of those spread all over the house for all the nitty gritties. Try it.

L, Kamla

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

I hope i can give some helpful advice. As I am overpicky about my wardrobe.

I have my wardrobe spanned into three section in my bedroom. Mind you ! I have taken whole of wardrobe in my bedroom. Hubby's wardrobe is in other room :queen

So I keep my main wardrobe this way. For exquisite Indian clothes, I have a big suitcase stationed in wardrobe. Next part I have used for stackup drawers, as Kamala has mentioned. In stack up drawers, i have my daily home and gym clothes. And on hanging rod in ward robe I have my office and casual wears Ironed and hanged. Then on upper slab in ward robe, I keep clothes which I dont intend to wear for few weeks. But after my Ironed lot finishes, they comes down on hangers.

Now I have three covered bins for small clothes. Like one for socks and two for under garments. Now in addition to wardrobe, I have small end table next to my side of bed, it has all my bed time clothes. And One more section in my dresser has my latest exquisite indian clothes, which I may wear in upcoming gathering.

It took me a very deep thinking to come up with this convenient arrangement for myself. I hope it helps you a bit too.

While organizign clothes , first ground rule is , dont stuff and hid anything. Find a right place for it and make a habbit to keep it there only. And very important one, Keep donating away the clothes you are not wearing. anytime you buy new dress, you should give away one old dress.
    About Indian dresses, I am also planning to take it to India to give away.

Happy Organiziing
    Ria

1 person likes this.
  4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Looks like great tips on clothes management. Also dressers help. There is a shop called container store I think they are online too They sell lots of shelves and draws to help with this kind of management.

5. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

I get 10% of the closet space for mine - and you can guess where the other 90% goes!

Sometimes, math is so weird that 'better half (meaning 50%) gets 90% of the bounty!' Not fair!!! :biggrin2:

It's a different story that the 90% apparels keep greeting me wherever I travel within my house! Ok ok, little exaggerated....but I made my point I guess.

6. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

thank you so much for the store container website...cool and neat...I;m going to visit soon..

Thanks anandchitra.......

7. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

ha ha.. that s very right. But I cannot complain. I do that unfair division all the time. BE it packign luggage or housekeeping. My stuf is all over the place. And his stuff is just few nook and corners.

Container Store is my favorite too. Visit their store in person too. You will get amazed at their stuff's neatness.

Ria

8. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Nice tips ladies.

Oh yes AC, I love the container store. Ria, the most important thing you mentioned was make a place for everything and put it there at all times. Absolutely. I am a big stickler to this and I hardly ever spend much time frantically looking for stuff.

I will add just a few things here. For underclothes, scarves, socks etc I have big wicker baskets with lids and I just dump the stuff right from the dryer into these baskets. I love it. "Dumping" is much faster than "keeping" :) So it is time efficient, plus it is a nice looking addition to my closet that occupies very little space. You can get these at stores like Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

For my Indian clothes with heavy work (bead work, zardozi) I like to hang them in hangers. I have one side of my closet designated for these clothes. I cover them with coat covers (the ones with zipper that come with men's blazers, sports coats). This keeps these clothes from being exposed to dust and I don't have to worry about " fold lines" showing up either.

For saris I have sari bags (the rectangular ones with zipper) and I keep blouse and the petticoat along with the sari in these bags so I find everything in one place.

And I absolutely give away clothes that have become so-so now or that don’t fit me well or even the nice ones that I just get bored wearing because I have used them for years.

SS

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I like the idea of the sari bag rectangular ? is it got in the regular stores this rectangle bag? please tell me as i cna use this idea. big space saver as well as time saver if we keep all items together

10. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thanks for such nice tips. Will check out the container store.
    I got saree bags from india, they are very useful. i keep my silk sarees in it with few good perfume sample cards which i get from macy's ( those advertisements inserts) and works great.

nice idea abt wicker baskets for socks and other small stuff.
    can u also share ideas how to organize artificial jewellery, clips, scrunchies etc. all my expensive ones are in those jewel boxes.
    i am trying to find the right place for all this, so it is easy to select matching ones in the morning while rushing to office.