1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

House Keeping

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by shakila banu, Jan 23, 2008.

1. shakila banu

shakila banu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Andaljagan, sitting and folding the clothes would work out very well but it is time consuming but once you rub rub and do the dress looks so neat as it is ironed and also while you are doing you will come to know whether that dress could be worn for how many days the time limit to throw it away or to be given to the poor. Regarding arranging the wardrobe especially the underwears mine i have kept only the bras and panties in one polythene cover knotted in the blouses section since the polythene covers do not consume place wheras the boxes consume some place. Like wise the same for my children socks pairs tied together and kept in one polythene cover. How do you manage to keep all the remote controls for tv dvd etc. Have you created a definite place for it. Thank You . Keep posting. Bye.

2. shakila banu

Dear andal

I am sure folding the clothes in such a way looks very neat but ofcourse it is time consuming. Regarding the wardrobe arrangement i have kept my bras panties etc. in one ploythene cover with a knot instead of boxes polythene cover as it would not consume much place. like wise my children socks also kept in cover with a knot. How do you manage to keep your remote controls for tv, dvd, vcr, have you created a definite place for it. Thank You. Keep posting.

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear SB,
    Seems like this thread is going great!!! Okay.. now on to Bedroom...we have two bedrooms in our house..Since its just 2 of us (me n DH), the master bedroom is ours and we keep the other BR as guest room.In our Bedroom, theres a double cot + a steel locker(bero) to keep valuables and hubbys formal wear.I keep my sarees in there.We have a huge Wooden wardrobe divided in to 4 parts.I keep one for all my clothes worn at home.Other one is for hubby to kep his casual clothes.The 3rd one for keeping all inner garments+socks+towels etc..and the other one for bed covers, pillow covers guest towels...So its well arranged! A wall hanging and a clock in BR tats it!

4. shakila banu

Dear aishu

Good to read your post. In my too we have two bedroom and only me and my hubby and two children4 years and 1plus year girl and a boy respectively. We use the master bedroom the other bedroom arranging and re arranging often. Not getting an idea still yet going. Nice to read all your posts. Keep posting.

5. shakila banu

Dear friends after starting this thread slowely i am involved in organising each and every tiny item in a definite place. If you have many floppys at hope you can use the nuggets cover cut it into floppys size paste it with a gift wrap . By this way the floppys all go to one or two neat boxes. Hope this idea would be useful to you all. Keep posting. Bye.

6. anupama

anupama New IL'ite

Hai,
    A very nice and usefull section.
    The socks bin is a very nice idea.

We have 2 bedrooms too.. and we have planned a loft to be a cupboard (2 rows and 3 columns) with glass doors, since its 2ft depth,2ft height and 10ft wide i store all my woolen clothes,bedspreads,towels and things that we don't use more often there and to the front i put all the fur toys(i don't give my children to play since they accumulate dust and the fur causes wheezing )that comes as gifts in the front. so that u don't get a view of things behind.

I also have a 5 yr girls and 1+yr boy who stops crying at the view of the toys.

Also put the toys/puzzles/crayons etc in seperate boxes (rectangular to stack them in the kids cupboard).

I also have a 5 feet foldable ladder with rubber bushes so that i can use it single handed to easily load unload the lofts and cleaning.

Regards,
    Anupama

7. shakila banu

Dear anupama
    Good to read your post. Now friends lets slowely move on to the kitchen area which plays a very important role in womens life. Lets discuss nook and corner about it in the following weeks. Bye keep posting.

8. jaykay

jaykay Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    This is quite an interesting and useful thread. Why no new posts after February?

The socks bin is a good idea and I am following it now.

One thing that I find useful is to have the phone near a sofa or a chair. I hv kept the phone on a small decorative stool. I hv kept a penstand with a few pens (all in writing condition), pencils, gemclips, rubberbands and a postit pad to note down things. The address book is also kept here and a small curio to brighten the place.
    This is very handy.

I have a chest of drawers to keep all paperwork ( I would like tips on how to organise it though!!!). In one of the draws, I keep all the manuals, DIY instruction leaflets, spare nuts and bolts etc.

Please continue to give tips !!!
    jay

9. pushpabp

pushpabp New IL'ite

Very nice ideas. please keep posting

10. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Folks,

Peeping in after a long time.

Sitting/drawing room: We have a low shelf for TV...below it there are 3 drawers and between the drawers and the glass top there is space of about 5" to place the DVD player and the set top box. In the drawers you can arrange the cassette, CDs etc.

For seating we can have the arrangement according to the size of the room. These days you also get good sleek seating arrangements.

Bedroom: The dressing table has storage space behind the mirror. So the daily use clothings, and whatever other things that are usually displayed on the dressing table goes behind the mirror. In India dust is a huge problem and with difficulty in finding doemstic help, this is easier as things don't gather dust.

Beds with storage, becomes handy to store linens. An almirah can be used to sore all valuables and heavy clothes. Wardrobes can be used for regular dresses and other misc. things. Lofts can be used to store bags and other winter clothing.

In the guest room half the wardrobe i have used to store my products which i sell from home. (we are into designer sarees and initation jewellery).

Restrooms: Here too we have small storage behind the mirror and below the basin.
    so toothbrush, paste, razor foam etc all goes behind the mirror. Only one soap dispenser sits on the basin. Bucket, laundry basket goes below the basin. a couple of granite slabs or steel organisers in the corner to hold all the toiletries.

Kitchen: Arrange all the drawers in such a way that whatever you are using regularly is handy and the other things go above. If you have space to have 2 platforms then you can use one for cooking and the other to hold all the gadgets with plug-points handy.

I think this is enough for today...will get back with more tips later.

roopa.