1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help with kitchen countertop!

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Selvi, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have(should i say had) White kitchen in my house.. Just wanted to keep it clean and nice I made the mistake of putting contact paper(sticky liners) on top of it. Now its worn out and I want to replace it. Problem is its coming out in layers.. Top deisgn part only comes out not the sticky part.. Its not peeling out completely. So counter top is like half green and half white now which looks so yucky..

Any ideas how to remove the contact paper? Is there any adhesive remover available for this??

:mrgreen:

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Selvi,

In home depot, you get Wall Paper remover. It comes in a spray bottle, and i think it kind of removes the adhesive too. May be you can try that for the shelf liner?? It should be pretty strong as the wall paper adhesive is strong too. So try it .

The only other thing I can think off is if you have a steam iron, then fill it with water and plug it in on high setting. Then use the sprayer nozzle to spray the counter top with the hot steam , it might loosen the adhesive. ( now I have seen portable steamers being used on HGTV for similar purposes, not sure how effective the Iron would be).

The remover seems to be more easier to do. Try it and let us know.

And hopefully some one else who had a similar problem , might be able to help more.

Vandhana

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks V.. I didnt think of wall paper remover, will try that..

I did try with hair dryer though.. Read in some website and tried that, but that didnt help much. I think thats the same concept as the iron u r saying.

Lets see if anyone else has any other idea..

:-D

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Selvi,

While using the hair dryer, did you wet the affected area with soapy water or not? If not, try doing that. You can use use clothes detergent for soap.
    There is this stuff called "Goo Gone". I use it to remove sticky patches left behind on things from labels etc. It removes the glue stains quite easily. But yours seem to be large patches. You can try it out on the most stubborn areas maybe. I think you get them at 'Bed Bath and Beyond' or 'Linen and Things'.

L, Kamla

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks kamla.. I didnt wet the area before using hair dryer.. will try it out.

And I'll try to find the goo stuff too.. (whoever named it didnt think too much abt the name, huh.. )

Thanks!
    :mrgreen:

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Yes Selvi....

:smile::):mrgreen:

L, Kamla

PS: Selvi, I was expecting since a long time that someone will question about this Philly, NJ thing. So here it is....We live on the outskirts of Philly, just across the border of PA in NJ. As Philadelphia is the closest and the biggest city, I gave that for city name, though we live in NJ. Hence the confusion:)