1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help to grow mint leaves!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by manisha.sanjay, Jul 26, 2010.

1. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

Hello everybody,

I am going to try my hand in gardening.I am thinking of growing mint and other herbs in pots.Once in one tv show i heard a tip that keep stems of mint leaves in water and when you see roots plant them in pot with soil.I tried it 2 -3 times but all stems dried.
    1)first time i kept along with leaves.
    2)second time my freind told that take out leaves and keep but that also failed.
    3)this time again i kept stems in water but they also dried.

I am keeping this indoor where there is no daylight nor sunlight.I am not changing water.Is this cause of their drying??????Please help me in growing this wonderful herb.:hide:

One more.....sorry for posting in same thread.......I got one money plant in my neighbourhood's flat after they vaccate the flat.I bought to my home as our watchman may have thrown it.They have kept it in plastic bottle with water.This plant was also indoor but today i have kept it in window for daylight(no sunlight comes in our house).
    1)Exactly where i have to keep this plant so it will grow properly .
    2) is it ok to keep in water or i have to transfer it to pot with soil.
    3)If kept in water how frequently i have to change the water.

One more----------when planting any seeds or plant how much soil we
    have to put in pot first and then above it.(sorry for
    this silly question)

**No sunlight comes directly in our house but i can keep both plants outside (in windows or corridors where sunlight comes)for 2-3 hrs.

Thankyou for reading long post with so many queries.Waiting for your replies.

Manisha

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey Manisha, mint is a very hardy plant and one of the easiest to grow if you a beginner gardener!! So you have picked the right plant - mint if planted on the ground easily takes over other plants and becomes the ground cover!! if growing in soil, it needs 2-3hrs sunlight and if in water about 6 hrs of light. Mint is quite hardy and if you move from pot to soil, it should sustain and grow. It needs good moisture so probably keeping the soil moist might help. I also have mint in pots and it is growing well. Here is a website that I thought will answer your questions on growing mint How to Grow Mint Indoors | eHow.com

Money plant definetly does well in indirect sunlight and it is also a very easy plant to grow :thumbsup You can keep it in water or transfer to soli, really it is your choice. For both mint and money plant, do change water once a week or 10 days or when you see algae growth. Whenever you repot, water immediately and watch the plant with proper watering till it establishes it self.

Then for planting seeds, I generally fill the pot about 3/4 with soil, and plant seeds and top it with soil about an inch on top and water it.

Mint, if you wish you can move in and out but money plant generally does well indoors with very little care. So you can piick a spot and just leave it there - it will do just fine!!

Welcome to gardening and keep us posted :)

3. manisha.sanjay

hello Srama,

Thankyou for your reply with detailed explanation to my queries.I have already gone through the site you suggested but still was confused so wrote here.Feels freindly to put up queries and get expert help i IL.

Still one more query:hide:----------can i use stems of mint which we get in grocery after taking out its leaves or i have to buy plant.

Thankyou once again.

Manisha

4. poonkananny

poonkananny New IL'ite

Mint is the easiest plant on the planet to grow and impossible to kil,, just get a snippet from someone and plant, first year it will be small next year it comes back huge

5. smitarubinsson

smitarubinsson Gold IL'ite

You can take the stems from the stalks you buy from the shop, strip the leaves and put a few (5-6) in a pot, water every 2-3 days and hopefully one will take root.

6. manisha.sanjay

thankyou Poonkananny and Smita for your reply. :)

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

About mint you got good suggestions from others. to plant in a pot the general method is to first put big pebbles so that the hole gets covered and wont get blocked withsoil as this is very important to drain out excess water next get some soil , compost and sand mixed and put it in the pot lastly put soil leave about an inch of space from the rim of pot now you can put in seeds. like coriander rub it lightly with your palm and plant it in pot for tomato any spoiled tomato seeds can be squeezed even green chilly note these need natual sunlight you can put them outside. And post about its success if any.....

8. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hello IL's
    There are some very nice suggestions here. Container gardening is very good for winter time aswell. You can have fresh herbs at your fingers tips to cook up scrumptous meals.

I have about 10 pots with different herbs on my back patio. Fresh corriander(cilantro) and mint are a must!

Happy Gardening!
    OOPALL.:)