1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Guidance needed - Tiles for Bathroom

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by JustMyself, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello all,

Please share good places with contact #s to get reasonably priced good looking digital tiles.

Have any of you seen a good collection of colorful digital tiles anywhere ? All I come across looks very commercial.. in the shades of grey/beige/brown colors. I like colors.. something like below. Appreciate any details available on this.

PS: Am aware below pictures are glass-tiles/ceramic. Am looking for similar in the new range of Digital tiles.. just not finding any :-(

Thanks,
    JM

paint-bathroom-tile-ideas-for-kids.jpg Bath tile color wall.JPG

2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure what digital tiles are as I prefer stone flooring like marble or travertine or classic subway tiles but my advice is not to look for big box stores as the quality/ selection is not good and most cases very generic.

You should look for local tile stores that specializes in kitchen and bathroom tiles. Visit a few of them and I am sure you will find a wide array of colors and styles.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Forgot to mention, am looking for tiles in Chennai !!! while am sitting in LA :-(

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

sdiva,

Thanks for the tips. Will try and ask my cousin to check around more.

Thanks,
    JM

5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Justmyself,

If you are not going to put carpet on bathroom floor ( I don't think in India, that is in vogue), then, think of the following :

Many bath room tiles become slippery upon use. I heard there are some new type of tiles, which are not manufactured for their look , but for their slightly rough surface , making it non-slippery.

If you have elders at home (even youngsters also fall on slippery tiles), you have to seriously think about this safety aspect. One fall leads to fracture, requiring months of treatment !

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chennai, the level of hardness in water is very high. you can't maintain most of these tiles. personally i have a tough time maintaining them. you can check out mine is the link here.http://www.indusladies.com/forums/spotless-kitchen/195731-links-only-time-management-cooking.html
    so i would suggest not to invest too much into the bathroom fittings nor tiles. if it is going to be used by your parents or in-laws, go for anti skid tiles. also ensure that the height of the entrance to western is considerably lower. as the new tred it is almost one feet above the flooring of your bedroom.

you get the digital ceramic tiles in chennai. check out kajaria's range or Digital Ceramic Wall Tiles - Asian Granito India Ltd

if you want your builder to outsource them then be sure that you check for the same and also keep in stock a few extras for replacement. the regular tiles will always be available. these are of mostly either 1/2ft, or 2 ft tiles and length and width vary which will then be a difficulty to get.

the fittings..jaguar, kohler are wonderful but do not work on the long run because of the calcium deposits from hardwater. went for high end ceramic wc and have been finding it difficult spending 10k every year just for the repairs.

you can check out wonderful anti-skid tiles. and highlighter series for the walls.

go for digital wall tiles for your wash area in the dining, kitchen back splash or above the splash..and more places..

just my 2c from ground zero.

2 people like this.
  7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Darmesh,

Thanks for your response. Yes, we are not planning for carpets. Am not a big fan of carpets either. So it was between Tiles & Granite. Chose Tiles for now, as am not in India to make the choices. we thought it would be better to move in check around in person, and then get granites after 5 yrs.

Also, Yes, we are planning for Anti-skid tiles for the floor, and digital-tiles for the
    walls. Thanks for making sure this point is brought out.

Regards,
    JM

8. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

All the best !:)

1 person likes this.
  9. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,

I was hoping, you would stop by to share your views. Thanks for the tips and the detailed reply.

By the way, am wondering would an RO plant help with hard-water at all ? If it does, is there anything that I should watch out for ? I guess it makes sense getting an RO installed, instead of spending 10K per year.. correct ?

Cheers,
    JM

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i have got the quotation and the estimates from ion exchange after the initial testing. the monthly expenses and the annual maintenance and the investment for our small apartment complex did not pan out. our association members did not accept it. And the running cost for RO plants where there is no metro and only ground water with high tds is high.

i know jm. but whether it is electrical or plumbing, a house maintenance is always going to be there. you need to spend on maintenance. your fittings spindles, the flush system in your wc, the drain pipes and many other things will need replacement within 1/2 years. gone are the days where we did only once in 10 years.