1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

General Questions on Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Sunkan m'am:

Loved the article. Thanks for sharing.

Sindhu

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing Sundari.

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi chithra,

My sun flower plant leaves is (only 3 or 4) turning out black in the edges.I water them regularly and the soil is turning out completely dry and so, it cant be over watering. Otherwise, the growth is fine and many buds are coming out.

Pls reply.

Thanks.

4. Anandchitra

Ami Dear
    Sorry I saw so late... I searched for this on the internet... looks like the problem is worms.. only thing I can think of is maybe spraying with insecticide spray..
    Really hope this helps:)

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hey Ami,

I see this happening to my rose plants here. it could be due to the heat..not sure.... they turn brownish red and then a kind black. this is what i have done, removed the leaves that are black. then wiped clean with a cloth all the branches and other leaves. then washed the whole plant from the top to the bottom, clearing any worms if any.

and then sprinkling medicines in the soil as usual. i hope this helps.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, both of you. But, chithra, visibly, dont see any worms, And, slowly, it spreads to other leaves and starts from the beginning. will try spray, meanwhile and shanvy, have already plucked out those leaves and try rest of wiping method too.

Rgds.

7. Anandchitra

Found these sources for you Ami. Its my opinion the plant and especially the leaves are infected. Please spray before the infection spreads. Hope this helps:)

Disease on Sunflower plants and leaf

ALTERNARIA LEAF AND STEM SPOT, Alternaria zinniae and Alternaria helianthi
    Symptoms. Circular to angular spots develop on the leaves. The spots are uniformly dark and often associated with the main veins. Dark-colored elliptical spots, streaks, flecks, or diamond-shaped spots without a definite margin may occur on the stem or leaf petiole. Dark circular spots may also occur on the back of the head. Seedling blight may occur if seedlings emerge in rainy weather in a field with infected crop residue.
    Survival and Spread. Survives on infected crop residue. Spread is by airborne spores. Favored by wet weather and warm temperatures.
    Other Crops Affected. Safflower and cocklebur.
    Control. Crop rotation and burial of infected crop residue. Avoid planting into field with infested sunflower stubble.

SEPTORIA LEAF SPOT, Septoria helianthi
    Symptoms. Watersoaked spots develop on the leaves. These spots are roughly circular and develop gray to tan centers with dark brown margins surrounded by an area of yellow. Spots may merge, producing irregular dead areas on the leaves.
    Survival and Spread. Survives on infected sunflower crop refuse. Spread is by water-splashed spores and is favored by rainy weather or center pivot-irrigation.
    Control. Crop rotation and burying crop refuse.

Stem and Leaf Diseases � Bacterial
    APICAL CHLOROSIS, Pseudomonas tagetis
    Symptoms. Severe yellowing develops on the uppermost leaves of sunflower plants. Part or most of the leaf may be yellowed. This condition may develop anytime from emergence until the flower buds appear. Affected plants usually recover, but seedlings may be killed.

Survival and Spread. Seed-borne.
    Control. Unknown, but at present the disease is not severe enough to require control.

Problems affecting foliage of Sunflowers

Light brown to black, spiny caterpillars, with a pale yellow stripe on each side, feeding on leaves in late June or early July. Larvae can often be detected by webbing.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………….Thistle caterpillar

Defoliation caused by ¼ to ½ inch long beetles with reddish‑brown head, cream‑colored back with three dark reddish‑brown stripes on each wing cover and/or yellowish‑green, hump‑backed larvae during June and July. ………………………………………………………………………………………….Sunflower beetle

Sudden death of plants (sunflower and weeds) in the affected circular area (50 to 100 feet in diameter). Stalks often have a brown to black pith.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………..Lightning

Brown pustules on lower leaves and sometimes stems later in the season. Severely diseased leaves yellow, dry up, and die.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………….Rust

Creamy white, blisterlike pustules on lower leaves. Tissue on upper leaf surface opposite the pustule is raised and yellow green.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………White rust

Lower leaves mottled by yellow or brown tissue between veins. Black areas on stem near soil line. Stem interior brown to black. Severely infected plants are stunted and may ripen prematurely or die before flowering.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………Verticillium wilt

Water‑soaked, circular spots, gray with a dark margin and perhaps surrounded by a diffuse narrow yellow ring. Defoliation may occur.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………Septoria leaf spot

Lighter green to definite yellowing of leaves. Definite chlorotic yellowing of lower leaves later in season. ………………………………………………………………………………………….Nitrogen deficiency

Stunted plants. Necrotic gray lesions possible on older leaves.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………….Phosphorus deficiency

Plants stunted, upper leaves distorted, leaves may wilt.
    ………………………………………………………………………………………….Zinc deficiency

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Ami,

My beans and Ladysfinger had some leaves burnt too..

Remember 2 weeks back we had that heat wave? I guess its because of that.. Dont worry, just remove them off as Shanthi says. Tell them they are fine now.. They will be happy.. :mrgreen:

9. Lathas1965

Lathas1965 New IL'ite

Hai Ilites,
    I am Lata from Kerala. See, ours is a moderate climate. I too am lacking space and doing some terrace gardening. I hd planted brinjal, ladies finger, chillies, tomatoes, fenugreek and drumstick. Initially it takes some time to arrange a garden. But later on it takes only 15 minutes per day to look after our garden. The main highlight is that we get vegetables for our family without dangerous chemicals. I am mainly using polythene bags on the terrace. I use dried cowdung and cocopeat in the bags. The main manure is neemcake. I feel so happy to know that lot of people are interested in terrance vegetable gardening.
    Thanks
    Lata

Tipu likes this.
  10. vijiananthu

vijiananthu Gold IL'ite

Hi Mam! I have also planted Ladies Finger, Brinjal, Green Chillies, Greens and Tomotoes. I put the waste part of vegetable ( I grind it in the Mixie and add water) for manure.

I want to know what is Neemcake and where it is available. I have a neemtree at home. How to use the leaves for manure. Also I get lot of dry leaves from Gova tree (Goyyaa) and Mango tree. Can I use them? Pls explain.