1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips please..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Selvi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Mohana..

Yr ideas was very useful and pls do inform me what flowers you are planning to put this year? I prefer perennial and hence, marigold has been coming very well every year.

As someone has mentioned, mustard is coming out nicely, but, later heard thro someone that one is not supposed to plant it!!! But, with pudhina or coriander leaves, no luck at all, any suggestion??

Waiting for yr replies..

Rgds.

2. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Hi Ami,

Thisyear is the first time I am trying with seeds for flowers.I put american daisy,snapdragon,sweet william -two weeks back, ippo lesa mulachiruku but poo pookumannu theriyalai.For coriander leaves- break the corionder seeds(halfa udachidanum) and plant it.mint leaves-plant the sticks after use all the leaves.Try panni parunga,happy gardening.
    regards,
    mohana.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

How to prevent or kill beetles/bees from the plants or flowers?

Hi friends,

Last few weeks, have been facing with the bees(not sure whether it is bee or beetles) and it is literally eating all leaves & flowers leaving behind the trace of the leaves, can u believe??

The plant's flowers were looking very pretty becoz of two colors & 4 patterns from the same plant until the bee's presence; now, everything has gone incl. the leaves. Pls pls suggest me what I can do soon.

Thanks.

4. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

insect spray

hi ami

we faced the same problem. we went to home depot and took assistance. they suggested "Garden Safe" fruit and vegetable insect spray. we followed as prescribed and lo and behold no insects after that. we now use it once in 15 days. it is great for tomatoes. i also used it on my dahlias. i did work. we would suggest this product as it worked wonders for us.

good luck gardening

cheers
    hopefloats

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Just wanted to brag.. where else i would share .. we harvested 7 okra & 1 tomato in our home yesterday.. Also 2 nice big sunflowers have bloomed along with roses.. :)

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot, HF..

will go to home depot and check for the same.

Also, one more query-lots of neighbor in our area have hung up at the branches of the tree kind of bag to collect beetles. Once it accumulates to some level, they are trashing them. Any idea what the name it is??

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Attention: Crab Grass!

Dear friends,

Hope all of you are enjoying the summer and summer vacations with your kids?! Living on the east coast, it is a great pleasure for me to just be able to go out without having to bother about jackets, scarfs and hats etc. It was really hot hot this year, but I am not complaining, although my husband moans and groans as he can't take too much heat! That aside, he is really hassled with our lawn. We have crab grass all over the place and it seems to eat up the lawn. Have any of you had this problem? If so, how did you go about eradicating it? Please let me know. Looking forward to some useful tips and solutions. TIA.
    Do enjoy the remaining hot days:)

L, Kamla

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    You people aroad share the result of your hard work in your gardens. I too have some things to share. I have planted hibiscus plants of various colours, many of them whithered in the heat. But after a long time,today a yellow flower bloomed in one of the plants. It is so nice. And Nandiyarvattai flower (I don't know its other name) which has layers, is also open today. Then lots of blue Sanghu pushpam flowers on the fence. And there is a bunch of maroon thechipoo. I wish I had a digital camera to show you the flowers.
    I have sowed the seeds of snake gourd and sometime back and the creeper had grown well and is creeping wherever possible. Flowers have come plenty in them. Last year I got 2 snake gourd, then because of the heavy rains the plant was spoilt completely. This time there are more than 3 creepers and I hope I will see some snake gourd.
    Any tips on how to make the plant yield good amount of vegs.?
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

9. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

hi varloo

do not bother about a digital camera, from what you describe i think it should not be difficult to imagine how colourful you garden will look and how proud you should be about your garden.....good work varloo......thinking about your garden only reminds me of my grandfathers garden......he had a garden bigger than his house......it was a four ground property and he had built his house in 1 ground and the rest were for his plants.......there are certain things that he followed.......like he used to always dig a small patch of land and dump kitchen waste like the pith of vegies and fruits, tea and coffee powder after use, dry leaves that have withered, water after washing rice and once the pit is full he used to cover it and dig another one next to it and do the same thing all over again. he used to do this in rotation and since it was a big garden it would take almost a year for him to complete one cycle. he used to sometimes not plant anything on a patch. he used to say the soil needs rest....i dont know if its logical but that is what he used to do, he never used chemical pesticides.......he would add cow dung twice a year.......but trust me the outcome was unbelievable....his guava's were not very big but were the juiciest and as a result we would have only the leftovers of a squirrels meal.........and my patti had her own way of taking care.........her thulasi always suffered so she used to mix b-complex tablets in water and used to water her thulasi........after she did that she said her thulasi never suffered.....it was true that her thulasi never suffered but i dont know if the b-complex was the cause for it......try your luck varloo.......and i wish you reap lots of vegies this year.

rgds
    hopefloats

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Sounds heavenly..

Dear Varloo,

It was lovely and refreshing to read about your garden. Like Hope says, one need not see the pics, you have painted a beautiful picture with your words. Gardening is a most rewarding thing. When the plants grow and yield, you feel so fulfilled. But a lot of hardwork. I do not have the energy for it. My hubby is the one who takes care of ours, but I insist that we keep it simple. On the whole, you seem to be a lady of many talents, what with your cooking recipes, rangoli, tailoring and gardening. Truly amazing Varloo.
    Hopefloats (love your name!!), your grandad's garden must have been lovely too. The way he made manure is almost professional. In Germany, we get bins for this purpose and one is encouraged to make their own manure and needless to say, the plants and trees thrive on them. Nothing can beat nature's gifts.

L, Kamla