1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips for summer!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Srama, May 17, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]April showers bring May flowers! I see some spring flowers - irises, daffodils, tulips, some wisteria popping here and there making the yard look colorful against the green back ground! I just love to sit and watch how lovely nature looks and more so when it rains.

The likes of flowering pears and crab apples trees after having bloomed in all their glory are turning the dark green that they wish to display for summer!

Our vegetable bed is all done. I see the new saplings come out where we chose to plant the seeds and the small saplings growing bigger as they get transferred in to the patch!

The furniture on the patio is out, bird feeders are filled, bird bath are full sometimes with rain water and sometimes from the hose!

I know, summer is there scorching us down in India and those of us in the western hemisphere can already feel the Sun bearing down on us, though much to our relief from the old weather. As I sit out allowing myself to enjoy the nature around me I also begin think of my yard in summer! Already!

Isn't this the perfect time to share some tips for our plants this summer! And don't forget to share anything you know for those little animals and birds that visit your yard! Here's what I am doing now -

To protect my trees and flower beds, I am done mulching!

Watering my vegetable patch on a regular basis in the evening! I am not sure where I read this tip but I was told it is better to water in the evenings than mornings! I hear you, it is any day better to water them twice a day during this time!

I am taking pains to prevent the weeds in the flower beds. While chemicals are used to prevent in some cases, I believe the all useful vinegar has a wonderful role to play here too! The other option is to lay down a layer of black fabric or plastic that is commercially available!

Talking of those vegetable beds, I know I need to protect them from hungry critters. Fencing around the patch is a good option and if you cannot do it, I believe egg shells and some chilli powder spread on the ground serves the same purpose.

Of course it is prudent to plant plants that are weather tolerant to enjoy their bounty and the bliss!

I know you avid gardeners have many more gardening tips to share for summer that can benefit us all! Please do share here so that we have a consolidated place to share and exchange information.[/JUSTIFY]

Admin Note: Check our new feature

Top Summer Gardening Tips

Similar Threads
    1. muyalkutti
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. ReshmiAbhilash
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. anjurekha
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. priyack

priyack New IL'ite

Your post really reflects your love for gardening. I'm a complete beginner so looking forward to more insights. Happy Gardening! :D

3. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Srama,

I started getting affinity towards gardening after seeing posts in IL. I saw pics loaded by so many of our veteran members and just started simple. I have a simple money plant, some mint and some miniature rose shrubs. That's it for this year.. Next year will upgrade to tomatoes, peppers etc. Will take tips from this thread and the others and hope things work out well!!

4. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Loved reading that page from your garden diary!:thumbsup

Summer here is so predictably fierce, that nothing but the toughest blooms last; so right now I have only multi-coloured portulacas, vinca roseas, jasmines, white plumeria and rangoon creeper in my garden.

Sharing some tips:

In summers it's always better to water your garden in the evening, that way the plants get a whole night to recuperate before the next day's sweltering onslaught.:cry:

Potted plants in balconies and terraces fare better in summer, if the soil on top is covered with a layer of straw or moss. You save on your water bills too.:rant

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you Priya for your lovely words! I am sure you will find a lot of information here! Look forward to reading about your gardening!

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is so nice to hear helpmeangel and what a lovely start to gardening with money plant and rose bushes! Just a question? Do you have your mint in the ground or a pot? Mint tends to spread quickly and take over but if you have enough space that is the way to go! I have mine in a super huge pot and thankfully every year, it has been coming back.

Absolutely gardening vegetables is such a joy! Look forward to your continued participation and sharing your experiences!

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you radiantflower for your response! I learnt some new names and plants, thanks to you! May I ask you to share some pictures?

Thank you for sharing those lovely tips! Please continue sharing as you remember more!

8. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Timely post as usual srama. Can you more elaborate about using vinegar to avoid weeds, please?

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And Mohana it is always a pleasure to see you! From what I understand, it should not be used in lawn or flowerbeds for I believe it an harm regular plants. Personally I have used it only in my drive way and where I have gravel in the back yard. As much as I didn't want but being unable to keep up with prevention of weeds, I have handed it to a lawn maintenance company :-( You need not dilute vinegar, just pour it into a spraying bottle and spray! As for spraying in flower beds, just read up that it might be a good idea to hand pull the weeds and then pour vinegar in that spot to get to those roots! A little more laborious! Also they suggest not to spray vinegar on a windy day!

Hopefully this has answered some your questions! Happy gardening!

10. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the reply and the wonderful tips.
    I think there is no way to avoid weeds in the veggie garden other than pulling out.