Finest Posts - Suggestions For Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by satchitananda, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot for the spirited words of support, Novalis! It's really nice to know that our work on the forum is appreciated.

Amulet and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I don’t think anyone here doesn’t trust you or Cheeniya sir or any one doubts both’s integrity.

Members go through myriad of emotions, so misunderstanding is one of them. Time is the best healer for any misunderstanding. Majority of misunderstanding can be removed with empathy and explanation as well. But that suits well in face to face communication than in virtual forum.

I too was very surprised to read otherwise-very-balanced member’s anguish but instead of holding her in contempt, or analyzing what led to this outburst, whether some of us can offer sympathetic ear to soothe her was my first concern. Mods have feelings too. Instead of taking her feedback in a negative way, thinking that she slighted the judges or doubted their integrity, let time be the healer.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

True Sats.
    We all sincerely appreciate your and Sri sir's roles and the responsibilities you shoulder.

Similarly the members who post articles here also do it out of love for this site, for their subject, and for the members here.
    Just as the moderators do this amidst a myriad of personal commitments, family, health and other issues, so do we, the posters.
    While the forum gives us the platform, the exemplary articles contributed by the members enhance the forum.

Therefore when a member, a major contributor during the short span of almost two years at that, is unhappy about something, I request that this not be taken as a personal affront, but as an opportunity to take a look if there is a problem in the process and if it can be rectified.

4. satchitananda

Kamala, the said member's posts are highly appreciated. It has been communicated to her again and again but she is in no mood to believe that. It is not the person's complaint but the public smear campaign she indulged in afterwards when she refused to see the mod's point of view that has been extremely painful as well as unethical. There are others who have been contributing since much longer who are still awaiting their turn.

Even the prize she has received, she believes she has been given because we were under some kind of 'compulsion'. She believes so because it was given to her for the very first nominated post. Does that mean we give prizes to posts which do not deserve it? Not all newcomers receive the prize in the very first month for their very first post. So in this case, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Viswamitra and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I understand your point and again I am not here to say who is right and who is wrong. I am not in a position to judge your and Sri sir's actions, nor can I judge the said poster's action, because each of you will have something to say in your defense.

All I am requesting you is to move on beyond this point to see if there is anything wrong with the process of Finest Post award.
    While I can come up with some suggestions, I do understand that it is the Admin's decision.

Here is my suggestion:
    1. Have two divisions - One new writer, and one for regular contributors.
    New writers - go democratic - most nominated, or most responses received.
    2. for the regular contributors' - go democratic - most nominated, or most responses received.
    3. If there are equal nominations or equal responses - go with past history of nominations.
    4. If the same poster is getting major nominations for the subsequent month, go for the next most nominated.
    5. Go through multiple iterations.. to arrive at a winner.
    This may be strenuous but may eliminate the burden of choosing the finest post and also the moderators from blame.

Just a suggestion... no need to accept it.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi,

Do you really need to explain this all? I know you are a very fair person and your personality reflects in your posts. You are doing this job as a courtesy and doing very well and doing your best. Don't take it to your heart.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda @Cheeniya, since this thread is for May's FP nominations, how about moving the other posts (including this post) to this thread: Finest Posts of Indusladies - Comments, Feedback and Suggestions

Then, the May FP nominations can continue without frequent 'rukavat ke liye khed*' and any opinions about the FP process will be in the thread meant for FP feedback and suggestions rather than mixed up with FP nominations here.

*Doordarshan used to have 'sorry for the interruption' right at the best song of Chitrahaar or concluding minutes of the week's Buniyaad/Hum Log.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. satchitananda

Thanks a lot dear kcb. That's really kind of you. I had a choice of staying silent but considering what had been done, I felt the need to consolidate the evidence. Yes, I am trying to move on, though it has left a really bad taste in the mouth.

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and kcb like this.
  9. satchitananda

Done Rihana. Good suggestion. Thanks.

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  10. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Just a suggestion :
    I do not know if it was suggested earlier, I will anyway put it here. Keep a poll for the winner of finest post . Once a single of multiple person nominates a post put that post in a poll. Give a certain amount of time(say 15 days) to vote for their favorite post. Let the Janta decide. After 15 days the poll itself will bring out the winner. If required a winner can be announced in a post.

Eg: 1) Start nominations as it is done like now.
    2) After a month long of nominations , put all the nominations in a poll on 1st of next month . Keep it open until 10th or 15th of that month . Let the janta read the posts and vote for their favorite post.
    3) Post with maximum votes is the finest post winner.

Reduces the burden on the admins/moderators who are sometimes at the receiving end. Also they have to spend a lot of time reading all those long snippets . In case of an advice thread they have to go through the post then the advice post. A tedious task right?

Disadvantage here is people may not participate in the the poll .(just thinking)

Much simpler option : one with maximum nominations is the winner.

periamma, Ammu2886, kaniths and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.