1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration of Heart rate monitor - Polar FT7

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by vibha_81, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vibha,
    Saturday I forgot my ft4 at home. Today I burnt close to 900 cals(two zumba sessions am and PM) am was a toning session. I love those toning sessions :)

1 person likes this.
  2. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

yes...vacation was good and all that walking was tiring but the rides were fun!!

you can calculate the max heart rate from the equation - 206 − [0.88 × Age] and your heart rate should be in 60-70% of the max heart rate

Mine goes from 140-175 mostly and 120 sometimes if i am very lazy:) jogging ups the heart rate like anything esp for beginners...once you get used to a certain exercise the number of calories burned would come down slowly

The HRM has a functionality called fat burning time which is calculated by the amount of calories spent in 50% to 60% of your max heart rate..basically when i am lazy or when i do normal walking...unfortunately this is a misleading feature as people can think that we are not burning fat once you move over 60% of max heart rate...it seems that the % of fat burned is definitely more in the 50-6- zone hence it is called fat burning zone but since we burn more calories in the 60-70 zone the number of fat calories burned would be more although the % of fat burned is less...hence longer exercise times with higher intensity would definitely burn more fat calories...since i almost always do everything with more intensity this was good news for me:)

1 person likes this.
  3. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

I thought Zumba was a dancing class...for toning do you guys add weights to hands and legs or is it something totally different from what i am envisioning?

4. Laks09

Vibha,
    For toning we use weights and dance with them ;) actually people use fancy weights called zumba sticks. I love the toning class since I've stopped strength training and am yet to restart it.
    Yes my trainer used the 200-.88*age and did some thing to come up with optimum numbers for me. These days I barely get challenged by the one hour cardio. I need to find something else that is new. Everybody burns upwards of 800 cals/ hr and I do half of it. I used to burn quite a lot too but now that it has become effortless, I need to find new challenges. I was also told that the more weight you lose the lesser cals you burn for any activity. As you get closer to your goal weight your body becomes efficient at burns. I have 10-15 lbs of pregnancy weight to go. I'm trying to get rid of it all before continuing strength training and toning up a little more than regular. My weight has already hit the healthy bmi and the scales are taking their time to budge these days. I would have stayed here if not for my flab.

2 people like this.
  5. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Thats great...I googled zumba sticks and saw that they look just like hand weights but longer and very colourful(gym weights look so drab in comparison)...I know I am doing mainly cardio till Jan1...after that will include lots of weight training

I used to do a lot of gymming but once i stopped i did not put on weight but lost lot of hair:)...Recently also because of my self challenge to run a lot(more than before) i noticed hair fall when i ran worked out twice a day(may be becoz my hair gets wet twice)...I think 1 to 1.5 hours is more than enough for us to effectively get a good weight..

Its much more difficult once u r in the normal bmi range because you would already been eating clean food and just enough calories...so exercise becomes the major contributor for weight loss or toning:) I am looking forward to reach that bmi...want to tone up this time!(yes it also amazes me that even i normal bmi i used to have flab:()

6. Laks09

Vibha,
    Did W1D1 of c25k. Burned a measly 193 cals. I didn't even break a sweat. Let's hope I can actually run the 5k in the 8 weeks. I've never run in my life!

*Added - I finally figured out adding the ticker to my siggy. I've been trying for ever. Yeah me!
    L

1 person likes this.
  7. Laks09

Btw, regarding flab, I was always around a bmi of 19. That's when I didn't have any flab. Any higher than that and it would accumulate on my tummy. I hate my pear shape. Wish I was an hourglass. They never get flabby once they hit a bmi of 23.

1 person likes this.
  8. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

19?:clap..cannot imagine myself even close to 22..

Me too pear shape...may be too much...my bones near the neck start showing even when i am in 70's weight range..I used to joke that i can break things with just my hips:)

i have seen very less hourglass more of pear or apple shaped...My ex-roomie was very hourglass but she had hormonal issues....will gladly take my distorted shape anyday...it is said that pear shaped ppl can lose stomach fat faster...have not seen any evidence of that so far...

1 person likes this.
  9. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

oh...yay...the sticker is up...I had seen some explaining about it in a post so fished it out and added it...and there are so many sites offering tickr services..

Did W1D1 of c25k -> I could not understand the code language:hide:

All the best for 5k!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Vibha,
    week1 day1 of an 8 weeks couch to 5k program. ;)

L