1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Ever approached an un-green stranger?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by OOPALL, Aug 19, 2010.

1. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Dear IL's,

I am curious...
    Have you ever approached a stranger and encouraged them to be more eco-friendly? :hiya

I've taken on many a litterbug and will continue to do so....how dare they throw their garbage around other people's spaces? Most of them used to respond by picking it up but in the last few years a lot of folks just tell me to mind my own business. I feel if its in my space where I live, walk or play, its is my business.

And I've told people about putting out their campfires completely....which isn't always appreciated except I usually take either a shovel or a bucket of water with me!

I jump all over the people who walk their dogs and let them do their thing in my yard or yards visible to me. Some promptly pick up the poo and others don't have a bag with them. *I* don't own a dog, so I don't want to have to deal with its waste, either! Yesterday evening while on my walk on the trail, I witnessed a dog with his owner and her 3 friends. The dog, carefully dug the ground for his business, did his business. The dog's owner got ready to leave without picking up after her pet. We exchanged glances, except mine went from glancing at her to the pile let by her pet.

I took a few steps and looked back at the pile, yes still there!! I asked the owner, are you going to clean that up or do I have to smell it in on my way back? And I added, lets help keep the trail clean and be responsible as a team of us volunteers try to keep it clean.
    She seemed a bit shocked but I wasn't going to let her off easy.

I suppose there have been other cases......I tend to be rather touchy on this area!

Oh, yeah....the roofing guys who were tossing nails down into the yard across the street....got on them big time because a mower would make a bullet out of those, not to mention the danger to bare feet! A few nails even made it down the side of the street, where my tires would be endangered or someone else's!

Pour in your comments!!

Thanks,
    Oopall.

2. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hmm not a single reply so far:bang

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Still no reply

4. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

I really appreciate your efforts. Someone has to take a step. Even I am like you, except that in India to take such steps seems too far fetched.
    Atleast In US people are more civil and would think twice before littering.
    Suburbs of mumbai are so dirty , sometimes I don't understand how I am going to survive here. Especially in rainy season it is pathetic with potholes, garbage , floods, diseases. Driving is nightmare in monsoon and I don't take my car out from june to sept.
    I wish people here take little steps towards improvement.

5. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

I too thought when you have so many garbage bins around, people wont litter.But it doesnt matter with some people.Even here in the US I see soda cans, broken beer bottles laying here and there on the lawn.To my utter shock was on July 3rd around 8 pm, a person from the 4th floor throwing a lighted cracker and just goes inside.My husband and I were sitting in the balcony watching with shock becoz parking lot was very nearby.

Talk about some pet owners.Oh my!!All the way poop and not at all worried @ disposing them in the nearby pet disposal cans provided all around.Apartment office keeps sending warnings after warnings.For sometime, they try to follow.

So individuals should understand their responsibilities.They may act like they follow but the next day, they may repeat the same.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  6. iamsudha

iamsudha Senior IL'ite

We don't yell at strangers for messing things but when we go to the beach we spend the first hour or so to pick the litter and put it in the garbage cans.

It started as something that my kid's schools required and has become a tradition now. We do that for the first hour or so and then have fun at the beach.

Recently when we went to the Tirupati temple, they give prasadam in leaf bowls inside the temple and there were garbage bins kept to drop those leaf bowls but I noticed many of those dropped outside the garbage bin. It was so fulfilling to pick those all up and drop them into that bin. Many people were watching. Though it's not a big deal and there were employees to do that, I felt good to do that. I never thought I'd mention it ever and nor did I want to. I think it's the Lord that made me think of it now.

Other than some urge to help, I don't think I am a green buff. Yes, it does bother me to see people mess things up but it surely gets the better of people when they see us clean up after them. I don't do that everywhere but temples, beaches, and landmarks like the Taj, Niagara etc are where I feel the urge the most.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi April1981,
    Thank you so much for the first FB. Oh here in US it is just depends on what area you live in. There is a good mix here as well. Some people are more "environmental friendly" than others.
    As long as we do our part, perhaps it will catch on !!

Thanks!
    Oopall

8. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Soumya,
    Thanks for your reply. Isn't that something...some folks don't even consider other's safety. Yes, it is very true, you cannot change the habit by just acting one day... you have o follow through and make it a routine. I get onto people about doing their part.

Thanks again!
    Oopall

9. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Iamsudha,
    Thanks for your reply. Great...your are keeping our beaches clean!!!!:thumbsup

Thanks.
    Oopall

10. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

In india, the streets and compound walls are open to public to whatever they want. you cant question them. They can spit, they can pass urine, throw the cigars and put the garbage on anywhere.

But what i hate most is spitting pan parag. i hate people doing this. but I am helpless. But what i can do is keeping my place clean.

andal