1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does cleaning the house count as a workout?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by rathi, May 2, 2005.

1. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Does cleaning the house count as workout?
    Or is it just a daily act?

If it will count as workout, I guess it's easy for most of us Ladies to have a good workout at home, than anywhere else :roll:

2. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

Hi Rathi,

I guess it would count to be a workout, though not an extensive one.
    How many calories we burn depends on the type of cleaning and the duratiopn of cleaning, I guess!

In my opinion, anything that gets you sweating can be counted as a workout for they help burn calories.

3. sonu

sonu New IL'ite

I remember reading recently in a health & diet magazine that house cleaning activities does count in burning calories.

If am I right, it was something like 4 calories/hour will be burnt during cleaning activities.

4. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Burn calories while doing housework!

Rathi,

Yes, you can definitely burn calories while doing housework. I happened to read the following tips given by a trainer in a website...don't remember the name.

To burn calories while doing house work, do several chores at one time. For instance, make the bed, put laundry in the dryer, run upstairs to fold clean clothes and put them away. When you're making the beds, keep your shoulders back and pretend you have a book on your head. While you're dusting, roll up on the balls of your feet to work your calves.

Also, do yard work, if you have one. Pull weeks, dig holes and rake your lawn. Gardening just one hour can burn up to 500 calories.

Easy ways to burn calories, I guess at home!

5. bangaloremsg

bangaloremsg New IL'ite

ofcourse, the day to day work of hous hold is considered as the best of the work outs and burn a lot of calories........may be you ladies would be walking kilometers in kitchen and house a day..

In a lighter side, if any one seen the Rajnikant movie "baba" where he talk to the gals who do the excersize , about the asanas invovled in the day to day work at home.

6. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Yes yes, cleaning the house is definatelly a work out!

The garden is a good work out for your buttocks.

7. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Until recently i too had been of the belief that domestic chores help burn calories.I really sweat profusely while cleaning esp while sweeping the floor(dunno if it is b'cos i'd have switched off all fans).
    On a tv program recently a doctor was saying that domestic work does not count at all...we need to do more exercise to keep fit???

8. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

My granny tells me that even during pregnancy, mopping and sweeping the floors are safe workouts. These that you do while you are pregnant helps to keep fit during pregnancy and also to regain your body and health after pregnancy.

Sri

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Household chores are not workouts, my dietician insists. You can say that you are more active when you do lots of chores. One of my friends' does all the work, no maid. But she keeps bloating everyday. I took the advice of a dietician for losing weight and along with diet, I am advised to have brisk walk on a walking track (not on the road) so that pace can be even. Walking without proper shoes is also no no as the vibration may cause problems on the foot. I Lost weight, up to 10 kg and am still continuing. Only now, I am not walking as I should be. But I am determined to start again and lose another 15 kg. I should come down to 55 kg at least. Now I am 69 kg.

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi varloo mam..

thnx for ur info...i heard this here and threre but not very sure abt this..... coz most of the housewize tells they are doing lot of works so that itself is a kind of exercise...y to do separate walking... may be olden age house works we can tell i guess... coz everything done by the manually...

congrats on ur weight loss... all the best to reach ur target ....