1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning window grills

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sita_r, May 22, 2012.

1. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Indian homes have window grills and they generally collect dust. Additionally we install mosquito nets which also collect lot of dust. Whats the best way to clean window grills and mosquite nets? Dusting with dry cloth doesnt clean it to satisfaction. Also how often should we clean them?

1 person likes this.

2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sita,
    Letme tell you what i do every weekend...if you follow this regularly,every weekend,i am sure you wont struggle...

my house has windows with many grills and ofcourse we do have mosquito nets...i do have a toddler at home and i am very concerned about dust,the place where we stay gets dusty in no time..believe me,i ll explain how dusty it becomes..i clean and dust my TV(which is kept inside room and in the corner) in the morning and for sure i can spot a layer of dust before evening..so you can see how dusty my house can get...

i am working and so cant dust daily but i make sure i dust these grills and windows every weekend...so here is how i went about cleaning these...

initially when i came back after delivery,there were thick black/brown layers of dirt that had got accumulated over the window grills and mosquito nets...few windows were always closed and few open...

items i used for cleaning which really made my job easier
    --------------------------------------------------------

(1)the feather brush which you get anywhere nowadays,the multicoloured ones and few use for dusting their cars...soft brush...like this...you can get this with both soft and hard(rough) bristles,depending on the dust you can pick...i have both to clean soft and hard dust S24PPD-S83EPPD-H.jpg
    this is a wonderful tool..i just love it..it goes around everywhere and makes cleaning really easy.. :-D
    (2)Thick but small paint brush..not the soft ones..little hard..those that people use to paint grills
    you can choose one like this...or even smaller.. Paint_Brush.jpg
    (3)Ofcourse a small handy towel
    (4)Washing brush with hard bristles or hard sponge for washing the mosquito nets

How i went about cleaning
    ----------------------------
    I took one window at a time...since i am working,i did it one per week...took out the mosquito nets ,opened the window fully..and dusted both sides..it defenetly took me an hour to dust a window with such huge amount of dust accumulated around the grills,corners etc etc..for the stubborn dust,i used little soap water,for few even cif cleaner...i used all the items that i have mentioned above for dusting...washed the mosquito net,dried it under the sun and fixed it back in the evening...
    For washing the mosquito net,i just put them on the floor in the bathroom(any out area where you have enough space for the net)..pour good amount of water using hose pipe of even mug ,but with pressure...this would remove little dirt from the net...take good amount of washing soap bar or even cif(if dirt is tough) ,put it on the mosquito net and then take washing brush or thick sponge or even these plastic wire mesh(people use to scrub themselves while bathing) ,brush it and the dirt would get cleaned in less time..dry it under the sun ..incase the dirt is very very tough,dont worry and dont spend much time in scrubbing...try for sometime and just dry it...maybe you can wash it someother day..the intensity would be less and next time it would be easy to clean...:thumbsup
    this i continued for the other windows as well..but what needs to be remembered is everytime i fixed the next windows,i made sure that i dust the already washed/dusted window so that loads of dust doesnt get accumulated and we dont end up cleaning them all over from the beginning...
    For::when you are cleaning window 3,make sure you dust window 1 and 2 a little,you need not remove the mosquito net,just dust one side and dust the mosquito net from the other side..this way your work will get reduced...
    after you are done cleaning all the windows,remember to pick the first window's mosquito net and give a wash and parallely dust its window as well with the feather brush and normal paint brush...continue this for the other windows..but for sure you wont struggle as you did for the first time..

i did this and i tell you,this way its very easy...
    the windows though might get dusty never get dirty...atleast the appearance wise it would be better...no black brown stains over the windows..
    you can do cleaning slowly yet neatly..

just one window at a time and constantly minimum dusting for the other windows would solve your problem

Hope you like my method!!!!

All the best!!!!!!!

kiran82, rosy786, Radhica and 19 others like this.
  3. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Thank you very much..that gives me lot of ideas. Even i am employed and hence its only weekends that i get for detailed cleaning.

4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

glad you liked my post..
    do try and post your response :)

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swaran
    Excellent tips...

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks VJB for your likes and feedback Bow
    thanks gopituty for your likes Bow

7. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

Swaran, a very useful tips. :bowdown

What I do : I use to clean the window grills with old tooth brush, with the help of it, I clean the nook and corner (of course with patience) of the window grills.

I clean the mosquito net thus:

1. Whenever rains, (its very hard to see the rain na ) I put the nets outside, with less work, rain cleans the nets.

2. Or I put the nets under the tap, first clean the dust, and slightly brush the heavy stains with some soap powders or solutions. Then again i will wash it under the net, and pat it dry.

This way, my house looks palich palich

7 people like this.
  8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Swaran,

That was a wonderful post.....

Lot of tips and the method looks easy too.. After shifting to my new home I had forgotten these soft colourful brushes...will buy one today itself.

swaran likes this.
  9. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

hi swaran,

very very useful tips. thanks a lot.

swaran likes this.
  10. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

hi swarna,

very nice tips you given. thanks a lot . Demolition is going on in my home. once completed me too will follow your tips in my new house :)

swaran likes this.