1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning silver and brass pooja items

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mohana, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

china is better than a jungle..

Dear Heena and Kamla,

I also belong to your group. I saw this thread only now. When I left Madras with my hubby for calcutta, I also felt the same...

Then , coming to the point, Pithambari powder is good , actually better than Brasso.
    Wash the brassware with vim and then put the pithambari powder and just scrub it lightly. I do like that and it is very easy. Even your hands stay soft after that unlike brasso. Another thing is brasso is smelly. Don't you think so??
    Latha :wave

2. kannamma

kannamma New IL'ite

re. peethambari

There is no requirement of preliminary washing with vim etc.
    you can straightaway use Pithambari - in the place of Sabeena..
    No strain
    No stain.
    and no skin problems.
    Just use and see.

regards
    Kannamma:wave

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Eljaype...

Nice to know that you share our sentiment. It is a boon to have a good loving family and I know of many in the western world who have no idea what it is. So sad.
    As for Pitambari...it sounds too good to be true. We don't get that here in the US. So we'll make do with the toothpaste!!

L, Kamla

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sandy...

Just saw your post. Well, until you get your silver articles professionally polished, you cannot get permanent gleen to your silver and brass articles. Even the professionally polished articles are bound to get the tarnish with time. There is just no escape from it!! Well, many are very happy about this Pitambari. Try it if you can get it.

L, Kamla

5. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Cleaning silver

Hi,

I heard one solution for cleaning silver that Salt+Little warm water+Water softner salt. I came to know this solution through some local tv channel. But never tired and I like to know where can I buy small quantity of water softner salt?

I looked water sofner salt in Lowes but they are giving 10pound bag. That much will be useless for me.So where can I buy small quantity of water softner salt?

Thank you.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello Srilak...

That is one more tip for cleaning silver. I have not heard about this, but it is never too late:)
    We used to get water softeners in Germany along with dish washer detergents and washing machine powders. I never looked for them here in US. Maybe you should check out the same aisle in your stores that has washing powders etc. Maybe some one will know and enlighten us on this soon?

L, Kamla

7. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

For silver: VIM powder for washing. Vibuthi or sieved wood-ash for polishing. Wipe dry immediately after washing. Moisture causes tarnish

For Copper, Brass and Bronze : Wash with : Tamarind pulp+salt. Dry immediately. Easy to use. Spectacular results, especialy for copper.

VS

8. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Another Tip For Cleaning Silver Etc.

Hi to all,

Here is my tip:

1. To clean Silver items, In big bowl boil water. Cut ALUMINIUM FOIL INTO SMALL PIECES. When the water boils put these pieces in it. Now put your silver vessels in that. Let it boil for few min. Remove and close it for 10 - 15 min.
    Now remove the SHINNING:-D vessels from the water and wipe. iF YOU WANT POLISH IT WITH 'VIBUDI'.

2. To clean brass, copper items use CITRIC ACID ( LEMON CRYSTAL/NIMBU SATH). With out much strain like PULI you can shine your article.

3. You can use fresh lemon juice or lemon's skin to clean the brass and copper items.

4. Peetambari is superb one and another one is ' ROOPERI'. This is a liquid and this will work more than peetambari. Really it is a magic. you just apply it and clean with a cloth. Wash with soap water as ususal. That is all. You can see the brand new silver item. This is for silver items only.

'NO STRAIN - NO GAIN' this is wrong for this ROOPERI:-D

5. You can use SABENA also for cleaning both silver and brass items.

6. Cleaning with a new tooth brush and tooth paste is the best way to remove tarnish from the nook and corner.

7. In Saudi we are getting one dish wash liquid named LUX. That is the best one to clean from the gold to brass,copper etc.,

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Aluminium foil

Dear Krishnamma,

I had almost forgotten this ! Thanks for the timely reminder. This is very useful for small articles like silver cutlery, cups and glasses. But as I am using the silver polishing cloth these days, I nearly fogot this method to shine silver.
    BTW folks, I am having real fun cleaning all the pooja items with toothpaste and toothbrush. The tarnish just disappears and it is so easy.
    Thanks for all the wondeful tips.

Have a great New Year...all.

L, Kamla

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

cleaning with brush & paste??

Hi friends,

Is this for silver vessels?? And, Kamla, what is this polishing cloth you have mentioned? I am also eagerly looking forward to shine my silver vessels.

Tried the al.foil with water and it is effective; but, not very great!!! So, desparately waiting for yr reply.

Thanks.