1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning routine

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ramyanand, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Wow, i am very impressed with all the hard work everyone does. apart from kitchen (daily) and bathroom (weekly) i clean whenever i feel like it. I recall reading some where - 'a clean house is a sign of a life misspent' - i.e. so busy cleaning that no time to have fun. I don't want to use this as an excuse but prefer to do something fun rather than clean!! I miss the servants in India though..

Mythraeyi

1 person likes this.
  2. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Mythraeyi (unusual spelling!)
    I do not want to diss all the ladies who take time to clean their houses - after all cleanliness is next to godliness.
    But I love your quote
    'a clean house is a sign of a life misspent'

This is going to be my excuse ...er.. philosophy in life.

Gayathri

3. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

My routine just like all of others here in Indusladies...

DAILY : mop,wipe the kitchen floor and counters after cooking, wipe the counters and floor of bathroom ,put everything back in the same place(boring)...especially...everyday, my DH drops his bath towel on floor for me to to dry it outside...when I tell him he put it on drying stand ...I hate to do this.. and fold the previous day clothes .....put the used cothes in laundry........water the plants(If needs)..Clean the dinning table after each use..Make beds....ours and BILS .....Clean up mails...I sometime pile up junk mails...and shered later...throw garbage.......Clean pooja room to do pooja, cooking

WEEKLY: Laundry, dusting before vaccum....vaccum the house ,ironing, clean the fridge when I bring vegetables from shop......clean mould in bathrooms and clean toilet and bathtub....clean sinks when those has mould.......clean kitchen racks when needed.

MONTHLY: Take off all the unnecessary items from kitchen racks...

YEARLY:Clean store room....BIG HELL..

After all these..I have to study for my exams and my DH says I waste much time on unncessary things and I don't finish all my exams soon.........for that he never helps on anything......Not even once he did laundry or vaccum.......:-(.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi mythraeyi
    I like the quote!!
    I remember a dialogue in a movie.."veedu veedu madhiri irukkanum..museum madhiri irukka koodahdu"
    that is "home shud be like a home(sometimes messy) and shud not be like a museum(which is maintained spic and span and highly organized)
    I agree that cleanliness is next to godliness..but as u said the whole day shud not be spent in cleaning and organizing without fun..i mostly skip my cleaning routines when i have to spend time with my son..whenever he wants me to play with him..

Cheers
    Ramya

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello All,
    I used to clean everyweek my apartment like dusting, moping, sweeping, bathrooms, kitchen etc.
    Now it is very big house and I don't find time to clean and I get very tired also...
    So my cleaning ladies come in every alternate week to vaccum, dusting, mopping etc.

But still clean bathrooms every week and kitchen everyday like sweeping, mopping, cleaning stove and counter tops....

~Punitha

6. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

hi all,
    I took to this thread basically because this is my weakest point and our main subject for fighting. Sometimes I tell my husband since you can't find fault in me in other things I keep a messy house (ha ha ha). As someone suggested I envy people who have clean house. I try to put some order in my daily cleaning routine (a looooooooooooooong way to go) but I have found a useful method now without making me feel lazy or bored . I take up one shelf in the fridge and kitchen per day. This kind of motivates me to do and kind of maintained this routine. Keep posting probably i can get inspired by some of your cleaning routine and start off. (considering I am a daughter of parents who are thoroughly organised). If I ask my father for a paper last sunday all you have to do is just count the number of paper and pull it out. On the contrary in our house it can be anywhere . Fortunate;ly I have a good memory and remember where I saw it last. Please do keep posting your routines so I get motivated.

One more nice way to defend myself. I keep saying ethu veedu . Fivestar Hotel ella. or something to that effect.
    hoping to get motivated to keep an organised home.
    Thank you all
    uma

7. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

House is not a museum it is our home. Home is made of people and not things or dust free!.. So have a home warm and inviting and have a smile . That is the best home people would love to come. When one wants people to fill the house and enjoy, the spic and span goes back seat.

Gayatri is doing a good job and enjoying. It is stress free and in the long run, good.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi folks,
    I am happy that there are so many like me. I too feel that only doing the cleaning work is ' All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl". My elder sis is 54 and she is commuting around 80 kms daily to office. She does not have children and only bil is there. She does not have visitors and we siblings also do not go there often. Bil is a clean fanatic. Sis does all the work as it is difficult to get a maid in Kerala. Above that, they have built a house with 2 bedrooms in the first floor and the stairs going up from the dining area, in an open way. This makes it more difficult, when cleaning the dust will fall down also. Both of them do only the cleaning routine daily and on weekends they wash the outside walls and balcony etc. They look down upon all of us as we are not like them. But there is no time for anything else in their life.Bil atleast watches tv and spends time on the computer. But sis seems very tense and moody because of this. But she says she loves that, I don't get it.
    My friend I mentioned earlier is also like that, she does only these chores daily, no browsing even if they have the computer etc, and she is well educated also.
    For me, even if I keep the house spic and span, hubby will never even try not to mess and there won't be any appreciation too.
    But folks, my mother and the above said bil are arriving on Sunday. SO I am on a cleaning spree these days and today I did a whole clean up of kitchen. Oh, my bones ache even now.

9. shakila banu

shakila banu Bronze IL'ite

hi lata its really a good idea to keep table mat inside the fridge
    Thakns for your idea
    shakila

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

There is a website that tells you how to organize the various cleaning routines. I follow their tips whenever possible and it works well for me.
    It is www. flylady.com