1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Home Appliances

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vinu, May 2, 2005.

1. vinu

vinu Junior IL'ite

I use disinfectants to clean the fridge, once in 15 to 20 days.
    Though it cleans the fridge very well, later when I start storing I feel foods are picking up the disinfectant odor.

Any suggestions on what else can be used without foods getting affected?
    Thanks.

2. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

Use vinegar

Hey Vinu,

Try to wipe the inside of the fride with white vinegar.
    It prevents odor.

3. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

Throw a piece of cut lemon to prevent odors...

Hi Vinu,

You may want to try throwing a piece of cut lemon inside the fridge to prevent odors of disinfectants picked up by the foods.

Also, this helps in preventing milk and curd from picking up the odors of other foods stored inside the fridge.

4. sharika

sharika Senior IL'ite

Cleaning fridge

Hi Vinu,

You can leave a saucer with bicrabonate of soda lying in the fridge.

Also the lemons do work, just cut in half and leave in the fridge until it starts to dry out.

Also you can leave a saucer with vanilla extract in the fridge.

Good luck.

SC :);-)

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

cleaning fridge is all fine

it is better to store all the items in a tight container from ginger garlic paste to the left overs or dosa batter all these tend to give out their flavours and as u increase the storage better to increase the temp inside to maintain the equilibrum inside.......hope i have helped..regards sundarikannan

6. sumok

sumok New IL'ite

cleaning appliances

Isnt this a challenge. Esp when u are shuttling between work and home and kids and other stuff. Sometimes I am so decicated that nothing shud go waste and work towrds it, but most of the times, I forget what I store and one fine day, into the trash.

Would yu want to share tips on this. esp to ensure that nothing goes waste......keeping track of what we are storing...........and the veggies that go fast..........

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

this is what I do.

This is definitely a problem that many of us face.Inspite of my best efforts,even I have thrown away quite a lot of veggies.Now ,I am managing this a little better.I have a small fridge only...not a two door one...may be that itself helps ...I don't have space to stock a lot.

We shop for vegetables once in 2 weeks.When I store these,I keep the fast ones in one compartment and the more lasting ones in another compartment.Spinach,beans,pumpkins,banana flowers,lady's finger are some of the fast ones.I try to finish these in the 1st week itself.The rest-Chow-chow(chayote squash),beetroot,carrots,brocolli,cabbage,cauliflower,radish etc,I use more slowly.Especially beetroot,cabbage,brocoli,radish stay for even 3 weeks or more.
    I wash Cilantro once I get it home,dry it and store it in a container lined with tissue paper or paper towels.This easily lasts for 2-3 weeks.

These are some of the veggies I could remember off-hand..

Waiting to hear other responses...

:thumbsup

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Iron box related query.

Hi friends,

In our iron box, the calcium has deposited and hence, the steam is not coming properly. Does anyone know how to remove it so that can use further or do we have to buy a new one?

Anybody has the same experience, pls do share yr ideas soon.

Rgds

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Iron box

Dear Ami
    We havea steam iron and one of the cleaning instructions says that you should fill water,heat the iron at the maximum setting,then immediately unplug,take the iron to the sink,and keep pressing the steam jet button vigorously so that the hot water jets out through the steam holes into the sink,this way the holes will get cleaned.

Cheers

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks.

Thanks sunitha..will try and let you know..