1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

can suryanamaskar be done along with gym workouts??

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by nebula2009, Jan 11, 2015.

1. nebula2009

nebula2009 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I would like to practice sn regularly but I don't find time at home. I can spare one hour time at the gym.. Can I do sn at gym before or after workouts??

1 person likes this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Most certainly you can!

1 person likes this.
  3. nebula2009

nebula2009 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for ur reply.. It should be done before or after workout?

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is a tough one for me to answer nebula. As a yoga student and a teacher, we do sun salutations before our yoga practice - basically to warm the body up for asana practice. Just doing Sun salutations can itself be a form exercise for mind and body if you are pressed for time. If I use surya namaskar or any other asana after a work out, it is mostly for stretching.

I have toyed with the idea of doing sun salutations myself before my work out at the gym but have never done it. So at best I can only tell you to try both the ways and see what works better. Just remember not to over stretch if you are doing before your work out, use it only to gently awaken your body and if it is after work out, be aware of your body and the amount of effort you have already put in and use the sun salutations if I may use the term as only glorified stretching.

Meanwhile if I try, I will most certainly update here. And of course there is always that option of asking a yoga teacher near your house or if there is any gym instructor, ask that person.

Or you could just dedicate one hour for yoga in the gym instead of a regular work out...ie., alternate your regular work out with yoga by yourself if you have the room.

1 person likes this.