1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Baking soda

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by vidyasundar, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Suhasini,

Even I had this doubt for a long time and I found this information online and saved it.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.

Question: What Is the Difference Between Baking Soda & Baking Powder?

Answer: Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the two substances are used under different conditions.
    Baking Soda
    Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else they will fall flat!
    Baking Powder Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but it includes the acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent (usually starch). Baking powder is available as single-acting baking powder and as double-acting baking powder. Single-acting powders are activated by moisture, so you must bake recipes which include this product immediately after mixing. Double-acting powders react in two phases and can stand for a while before baking. With double-acting powder, some gas is released at room temperature when the powder is added to dough, but the majority of the gas is released after the temperature of the dough increases in the oven.

How Are Recipes Determined?
    Some recipes call for baking soda, while others call for baking powder. Which ingredient is used depends on the other ingredients in the recipe. The ultimate goal is to produce a tasty product with a pleasing texture. Baking soda is basic and will yield a bitter taste unless countered by the acidity of another ingredient, such as buttermilk. You'll find baking soda in cookie recipes. Baking powder contains both an acid and a base and has an overall neutral effect in terms of taste. Recipes that call for baking powder often call for other neutral-tasting ingredients, such as milk. Baking powder is a common ingredient in cakes and biscuits.
    Substituting in Recipes You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder. Baking soda by itself lacks the acidity to make a cake rise. However, you can make your own baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar. Simply mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I have another use for baking soda for tea drinkers.

In my house, my husband does the tea-making since my tea is not upto his standards. All the pots in which he makes tea have to be scrubbed to remove the tea stains, which can be a daunting task, esp. since one of the tea-pots is enamel.

Mix 1/2 cup plain vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda and bring it to a boil in the pot to be cleaned. Then just a soft scrubbing removes all those disgusting tea stains in the pot. I then transfer the vinegar-baking soda mix to all the tea-cups and let it soak for a few minutes. This gets out the tea-stains the dishwasher does not remove.

Hope this helps!

3. Suhasini02

Suhasini02 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply... was helpful.

4. Mathu

Mathu Senior IL'ite

This is useful info.Also the difference between baking powder and baking soda really was quite detailed.Thks

5. Antu601

Antu601 Senior IL'ite

6. akhi20

akhi20 Senior IL'ite

yes baking soda can helpful in many wayss.....!!!!11

7. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    Baking Soda is already getting popular amidst Ils, let me add yet another feather to its crown !
    For those of you who stay in US and live in apartments, there is a high probability that you use electric coil based stove. And, in such stoves, unattended milk / tea etc can spill over and form a stubborn crusty layer on the steel cup-like-cover plate below the coil.. And, to top it all, if you are a 'will wipe later, now I gotta run' person ( like me :crazy ) Needless to describe, what will be left is a black ugly burnt crust ! And, when you get that phone call from your SIL, that they will be coming over for the weekend etc etc.. you might start scrubbing the plates as with dish washing liquid.. it may not work well.. what you can do then is, after all cooking is done for the day, remove the plates and leave them in the sink. Just wash them with some water to make them wet. Then sprinkle Baking Soda liberally on the burnt crust.. Go to sleep.. when you are up next morning.. magic is done :thumbsup just take the scorch brite and give a maidenly brush on your plate,.. and you will see the crust coming out so easily..

Hope this is of help !

Savitha

8. neev

neev New IL'ite

Baking soda and vinegar in equal parts poured down the drain keeps the drains from smelling and clogging too ( a home brand will do)...it works like a miracle...

9. sreyaallari

sreyaallari Bronze IL'ite

Hi Suhasini

Baking soda and baking powder is not the same... Please see carefully and use it...

10. divyaladies

divyaladies New IL'ite

Hey
    Post is amazing but i have some doupt shall i ask in tamil

baking soda nalum ittlykku podura soda uppunalum onna
    (is backing soda and soda uppu are same?)

soda uppu entha brand vangurathu...how much... help me...

shall i use it for clean teeth ...plese help me