1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Snacks

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Friends,
    I am currently a home maker and during mid mornings( arnd 9 :30 to 12 AM) and early evening( Arnd 2:00 Pm to 5:30 Pm), I feel like munching soemthing or other apart from my breakfast and lunch..I end up attacking junk food like chips and Haldiram's snacks.. This is completely against my plan to lose some weight...But during those dull hours of the day, I find it very difficult not to eat something of this sort. Following is what I tried

1. Stocked fruits in my fridge.. - Helped to some extent, but I was still tempted towards junkies..In fact I take apples with fruit chat masala. Tastes great,but I need atleast 2 - 3 apples to satiate myself...Sometimes, I eat fruits plus junk snacks...
    2. Stopped buying snacks..but each time I shop..I tend to pick some...If I don't get any snacks, I feel deprived..And at tht time I feel one packet of haldiram or Lays will do no harm..Husband gets me all of them and pampers me more :-(

3. Having full breakfasts, filling my tummy, to prevent munchin...Helps to some extent..But I have to have exhorbitant amounts to prevent snacking...

4. Healthy snacking..I started getting Triscuits. They are wheat flakes and I have them with Ranch. Tastes good,does not add too much fat, but I finished the packet ( 400 gms) in 3 days...:-(

5. I even subscribed to calorie plus.com. A free site where u record what u eat, but was too lazy to count calorie intake in everything I eat, specially the cooked ones..

I am so disappointed with my habits now..It s mental control, but this obsession keeps coming back and has increased my body fat, although I look not so fat ( because of my height, it s all hidden). I have to lose 30 pounds..This job has become difficult because of my stay at home. If I went to work like before, atleast I would be distarcted from FOOD..I visit gym in the eveings, burn 300 cals on eliptical..but intake is so much, that even exercise doesnt help :-(

Please tell me what do u guys do during mornings and afternoons ?

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hello MeenLoch,
    I have this habit to some extent.I try these things instead of snacking
    1.Drink water/grean tea
    2.Eat handful of pista/almonds/dates
    3.Go out for walk
    4.Make phone call
    I snack when i feel depressed,angry or moody.I try to avoid these.
    Get into some caree oriented to keep u engaged at all times.

3. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch

Healthy eating is important and in fact 5-6 small meals are recommended. In this way the blood sugar doesn't drop too low and you won't feel like you're starved. Breakfast, 10o'clock snack(teatime!), lunch, 3 o'clock, supper even a snack after supper (but at least 3 hrs beforebedtime) is RECOMMENDED. We are supposed to be grazers!
    The secret is to plan what you are going to eat and at each meal, sit down concentrate on what you eating, taste it and enjoy it - then you won't feel like nibbling too soon after.
    You must balance with 5 starches/carbohydrates (rice, bread, cereals), 300g Protein (meat/soya/bean family), 5 servings of veg, 2 fruit, 2 dairy (milk, yoghurt)and at least 2 litres of water for the day. Keep a bottle or jug of water nearby. If you have all this you won't even feel for junk food too often.

All the best. I'm on this programe at the moment.
    Regards Neesha

4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Meen,
    I also have the same prob like you.

But recently I have cut on buying snacks...a big no no no...even to my toddler(see how selfish I'm).I have started making sundals and stack it up.

Do you know the chili they make here in US? I make that often...Take some sundal of your choice,add salsa,non fat yogurt,red onions and I top it off with papad made in microwave...sometimes I any veg curry too(or coriander chutney or sometimes even sambar and vathakulambu) that I have in the fridge instead of salsa.

whenever I crave for chips or other fried food and dont have at home..I go for this...you can make this any time of the day and eat whenever you want..The appalam gives some crunch and kinda like potato chips for me...I'm a big coffee fan and so this chili (sort of...) and a small cup of coffee would be a great treat for me.This would work for me only during weekdays...but during weekends I give up everything...especially I'm a rice junkie..

Pls..stay away from the lays...a monster..my hubby can eat a whole big bag in two days when we first came to US..

But he gave up after a big belly emerged...But till date he takes up ocasional treats...How can you stay away when its sitting there in front of us...

Ladies ...pls help us...

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

1. Sharavanthika, I am going to try this soon. I have moved in recently and I was not aware of this option.. Thank you. By sundal u mean black chickpeas or white chickpeas right ? With Navarathri round the corner, I am going to try some. I am a rice enthusiast too. I cannot live without half a cup of rice in the afternoons.

2. Neesha that was a comprehensive and simple diet suggestion. What do you have at 10 and 3 o clock ? Eating slowly, having juices, having soups and salads before dinner and sleeping well reduce appetite. I read this in a magazine. Planning is a good idea. Thanks..

3. Supriya, phone call is good thing I picked from your list. Morning walk in sun is not possible for me. Besides I cannot walk in the area I stay,, very few people do.. Do u take green tea in boiled water? I think I shud try once. I got some green tea bags, but havent tried it yet..We buy walnuts for those Omega 3 Fatty Acids...But again I finished them in 3 days time...I love them.....400gms packet :-(

Thanks ladies for sharing tips. I am looking for some more ideas on Afternoon Snacking:- )..I have puffed rice...So one can try Bhel puri ...Also pop corns...after lunch I have the bad habit of eating ice creams. The Dryer's Cookies and Dough ( too good)... As I write I realize how gluttonous I am :-(

I think if we make and keep these, we will not eat junk food.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  6. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi ,
    Green tea prepared by me

MW water 1 cup 2 mts,then add 1 tea bag..let cool (dip)..then drink

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Meen,

Your condition is just the same as it was in my case when I first came to USA and not started working..............
    Then I solved this problem though I didn't stop eating ice-cream.
    Try this: cut a big apple in small pieces so that you can have a bowl........add 1 scoop of ice-cream over it and try to mix this with apple or even you can try strawberries/pears/peaches/kiwi........
    Then take a very small spoon not a tablespoon........and take as small bite as possible.
    Even do this for every meal. Eat your food in small bites.........try to munch every particle so that you will consume more time and will eat less food.
    For Chips.....don't take those at all.
    Try this out:
    Bye some corn flakes (I prefer Kellog's), fry some Poha (without oil). Then mix half and half of corn flakes and poha. You can also temper it with a drop of oil/curry leaves/very finely grated ginger/dehydrated onion and chilli (you will not need oil to fry these). Sprinkle one small spoon of chat masala and little salt.
    You can munch onto this whole of the day but remember to take small bites again..........You can take half spoon in each time..............
    Also, another thing is that, you can have sti fried moong sprouts/peas sprout.....these are high in protein content.
    Also, you can go to the library and go to the mall if you have them near to your house. This way you will know the latest fashion trend and also you can get good ideas for decorating your home...........
    If you have any hobbies like painting......stitching........knitting.......(in public libraries they used to teach these) you can pursue with that and you will observe that you are still lacking in time........
    Most important thing is that DRINK whatever juice.......soup..you can make at home.
    Stop buying juice from market and try making it frsh everyday.......I know it is not cost effective but you need to stay healthy........
    Your hubby will always love this in the evening........
    LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST...WRITE A LOT IN IL..............
    Bye and take care.

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Meena and ladies,

Yes the junk food culture here in the US, causing big problems for all. I make it a point to leave hubby and kids at home when i go grocery shopping, so I can totally skip the Chips, cookie aisle!! Yes boths my kids can finish a bag of chips in 2 days!.

For me, here is what i stock in the fridge: Cheese( low fat cheddar, mozarella, pepper jack , yogurt ) . Low Fat cottage cheese, Low fat/nonfat plain yogurt. Plenty of fruits, carrot sticks, celery. NO JUICE OF ANYKIND. I know the Tropicana and Dole and Minute Maid 100% juices are supposed to be good . But please be aware that they are high in simple sugars!. Corn ( fresh or frozen)

In may pantry I have Saltine crackers ( the unsalted ones), Rice cakes and popcorn cakes , Just this trip i bought this baked apple chips, yet to try it.

Most of the time, I try and have a really good source of protein for breakfast. So then i don't feel hungry till lunch
    But for those inbetween urges i usually end up with the following:
    1. Cottage cheese with fresh fruits or some nuts.
    2. 4 saltine crackers with a slice of cheese
    3. Lowfat plain yogurt with some granola or fresh fruit.
    4. A handful of the popcorn cakes.
    5. Celery sticks with peanut butter.
    6. Carrot sticks a cup full.
    7. Roasted or boiled corn onthe cob. Nice low fat, and filling snack. And ladies do try roasting it even if you have a electric stove. it come out really nice.

Now that the weather is turning cold, i make a big pot ful of soup of my choice. Everyday its different , and then whenever i want to snack, i just have a bowl of soup.

But i do think that when you go shopping, strictly stay away form the fried stuff as well as the icecreams etc.....

Try and include more protein in your diet in the form of beans and legumes and you will not feel hungry too often.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  9. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Listen to Vandhana ladies - she is a nutritionist - so she knows what she is talking about!! I know what you mean about not taking hubby or kids to the store! I may come home with chips once in a while - so that we can eat with pulao, etc as a treat and I but the small bag - but it is gone just like that! I have learned that protein fills you - so I eat a small cup of yogurt as a mid morning snack when I am starting to feel hungry. I try to stay away from the junk food as much as I can. If I do indulge, I make it a point to compensate by eating salads for my next meal, etc.

Meenloch - how about joining a gym if you are not able walk in your neighborhood. I have made it a point to go atleast 3 times a week and when you see how long it takes you to burn 300 calories, you will think twice before you munch down on a 300 calorie snack in 2 secs!! My approach to this is think of it as a lifestyle and not as a diet to loose to some weight.

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Whoa,
    Ideas pouring !!! S
    hobana - I visit gym everyday..But my rate of consumption is high..So net weight lost by gymming reduces. It just helps to maintain or put few kilos, instead of becoming fat faster...300 cals on elliptical trainer is what I do.

Vandhana,looks like you are totally into healthy eating..Great going..Inspiring me you know ! I have to find the crackers u say. What breakfast do you have, you say it's filling right ?
    I am a big carrot lover. Also I am working on having multiple salads and soups in my everyday food. I tried celery sticks., but don't like their smell or taste..In soups I prefer them. Popcorn cakes ? What are these ?
    I am planning to get some Energy bars for snacking. Any suggestions for brands ladies ?
    Guess what, I am bookmarking this page :-D