1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss Buddy

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by PinkRubies, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,

having soup at night for dinner will fill up your stomach, if you eat too much at night and go to bed the food will turn into fat so it is better to have soup and sleep on a light stomach you will feel a bit hungry for a few days but then you will get used to it, always have aheavy breakfast as you will end up using all that fat through out the day and this fat will turn into energy,
    you are doing good, keep it up dear
    love
    alpa:cheers

2. preetho

preetho New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Nice to see your posts. I am over weight by 50 pounds. I was a fitness freak and 62 kgs and I stand 5 feet 7 inches tall. After my wedding, I had a miscarriage and they did not do D&C properly and underwent D&C twice and they put me on steriods, due to which I developed Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. I became overweight by 25 kgs in just 3 months.

I went into high depression, as I could'nt believe that I can put on so much weight that my friends and family could not recognize me.

For a year i ate alot to forget depression, and then decided to lose weight somehow.

I have lots of motivation to do this, but somehow im not consistent in my exercises and diet due to varied work pressure.

I am looking for some help with this.

Thanks,

Pree

3. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Dear Preetho

Welcome back! There are many sailing in the same boat as yours, but having the motivation to lose weight is what differentiates you from others.

I too have to lose around 25 kgs (5'6" weighing approx 85 kg now) to achieve optimum weight. Have just got my diet settled thanks to Alpa, who has been more than just a buddy. I will be starting on my workouts from tomorrow onwards. Am here for the long haul, so I will be happy to lose weight slowly but permanently.

I will leave it to the fitness gurus to advise you on how to go about losing and then maintaining weight.

All the best! Have a great day!:)

4. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Diet on 28 August

7:00 am: Warm water and fenugreek
    9:00 am: 1 biscuit weetabix with milk and dates
    1:30 pm: 1 serving of vegetable rice, 1/2 serving for rasam rice, 1/2 serving of curd rice. Accompaniments were mushroom curry and onion raita. Had some leftover spinach kootu from the previous day
    5:00 pm: 2 plums
    8:00 pm: 1 bowl of fruit and vegetable salad + 1 small bowl (must be 50 ml) of veg soup
    9:00 pm: 1 glass milk

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Preetho,

welcome here. first sorry to hear about your miscarriage and second we are all here to motivate you and you can do it, if you were a fitness freak like i am then you can do anything the only thing we need to do is to help you out of your depression.
    now i need you to post your daily plan here and do you have gym near by your place, if yes then go and have a look at it and talk to the trainers there tell them about your problem and tell them you need a prgram, if the program is not what you wnat to do then join the aerobics class and start with it. if no gym then join yogaclass you will need to exrcise to loose all that extra weight, let me tell you i have put on 6 kilos in a span of 3 yrs though i have to reduce only 3 kilos as i was under weight before but to reduce these extra kilos is a challenge for me. Diet itself shall not help you,if you diet and no exercise then you shall have hanging flabs and it will make you look ugly.
    now i want you to follow this
    1) start your day by drinking a glass of hot water with lemon juice in it, if you are allergic
    to it add honey and no lemon, drink on an empty stomach
    2) if can make fresh fruit juic at home make aglass for you and your dh its healthy, avoid
    mangoes, avocadoes and chiku, have that after and hour or so after drinking the water,
    then eat a bowl of fruit like papaya or apples or a banana. Have a weetabix if you want
    no biscuits and in your weetabix yo ucan add some nuts like walnuts. Have your tea if
    you want to, then eat anything else you want to eat no fried foods.
    3) for your mid mornig snack, have a fruit or some boiled veggies, have lots of green
    veggies boil them or steam them add little salt and pepper to it or you can have a
    salad with no dressing add salt pepper or lemon juice see hat's salad expample she
    has made nice one
    4) for lunch have a chappatti, if you are having 4 chappatis reduce to 2 and if you are having rice then reduce the quantity of your rice.
    5) forsnack have a fruit like a small or a half banana.
    6) for dinner have home made soup i have given a recipe in this forum to hat please have alook at it, add lots of cabbage in your soup as cabbage helps to loose weight.
    7) drink 2 litres of hot water through out the day.
    8) be calm and focused and exercise your goal should be loosing one kilo a month or 2
    not more than that and eat in small quantities.

sorry i forgot to add, do not have youghury or curds at night as it will help you PUT ON weight, so you can have curds during the day but in a limited quantity.

i hope this helps but the effort has to be from you and we shall all guide you
    i look forward to your daily diet planm be honest nad write down everything

love, hugs and kisses

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hat,

good diet, what fruits are you having please let me know. congrats on starting the veg soup. try not to have too much of rice you know rice is carbohydrate have it and then exercise as it will burn out i am not denying you rice but eat in small portions.

sorry if i am harsh
    love

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  7. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Dear Alpa

You are not at all harsh. When you put in so much of effort to guide me, it is your right to ask me any questions on my diet and fitness routine. I welcome such questions/comments as I don't have anyone else to do so.:)

I have been having grapes, apples, plums, watermelon (whenever I get it), dates (not more than 3 a day). I know you asked me to eat papaya, but the papaya I see in supermarkets is raw. Can I eat even raw papaya? I have to admit one thing though, I am not exactly fond of papaya, but I will try to include it daily at least in minimal quantities to start with. I haven't found kiwifruit still.

Re rice, I know I should cut down. Perhaps I must eat 2 chappatis and have 1 serving of rice? Until now, I have been limiting myself to 2 servings of rice daily, and splitting it among sambar, rasam and curd.

Have a great day!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  8. Bartez

Bartez New IL'ite

9. preetho

preetho New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am not sticking to any diet as of now.

My day starts with oats and milk with cranberries aroun 9 am

No Mid day snacks

Lunch - rice or roti lan chapathi 2 with some curry (home made) aroun 12:30 pm

No snacks but coffee or tea at 3pm

When I come home, i feel super hungry and eat whatever I find, like fried snacks with tea

Dinner - have rice or chapathi whatever is there. around 9:30pm

I think, my diet is too bad.

I have gym in my community as well as in my workplace and I do it regularly.

I have metformin tablets for PCOD and I think only my bad diet is the reason for no weight loss.

I will try diet plan posted by alpa along with my regular exercises.

Exercise Routine

20 mins - treadmill/eliptical
    20 min - cycling
    20 min - glut kicker

then abdominal crunches and other weights for hands, inner thighs and outer thighs

10. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Dear Alpa

Yesterday I met my friend after 14 years! Naturally we ate out and so my schedule has gone awry. If you had to choose between carbohydrate-rich food (like appam or idiappam aka stringhoppers) and fat-laden food (like naan and paneer butter masala), what would you choose? I thought for a while and chose appam. Appam is like dosai, made from fermented from rice flour but no oil. It is steamed. But the killer is the stew side dish, which is usually made using coconut milk or ground coconut and then added to vegetables.

7:00 am: Warm water and fenugreek
    9:00 am: Weetabix with apple and dates
    11:30 am: 2 plums
    2:00 pm: 1 serving of rice with sambar and 1 serving of rice with curd. Side dish was beans curry. Had also left over mushroom curry
    5:00 pm: 1 orange
    7:00 pm: Half a bowl of tomato soup and 2 appams with stew

Was feeling stuffed after dinner. So dint take anything else.

I have just finished my first day of workout. Since gyms are closed here in the morning for Ramadan, I did at home. I am fortunate to have a fitness teacher as my neighbour. This is my today's workout schedule:

Around 8 mins of surya namaskar. I did it five times and counted for 7 seconds between each asana. Tried to count for 10 seconds, but couldn't. I am confident I will do that soon.

Then I did other yoga asanas. I was practising yoga regularly till 4 years back. So, I could do this without any guidance. I don't know the asana names, but will explain them. I did these asanas mainly for my abs. The first one is lying down and lifting your legs to 90 deg (10 times). Next was the snake position (10 times). I know this comes in the surya namaskar, but it really tones up the abs, doesnt it? Besides these, I did some general stretching and bending exercise.

My neighbour joined me after this and asked me to start with aerobic exercises. Since I am totally new to this, she taught me basic movements like swinging arms, moving legs, twist, how to jog, squat, etc. I enjoyed it a lot. Did for 20 mins. As a beginner and cos I am hefty, she has asked me to do this for a week for the same duration.

I really like the way my heart is pounding, the slightly sore abdomen, the litres of sweat that break out in the body--gives a very satisfied feeling!:thumbsup

Further, I think I should mention this also. Alpa, I do all the household work myself. I am in the kitchen for 2 to 3 hours a day, cooking or washing dishes or cleaning. Besides this, my kitchen doubles up as sauna cos of the hot climate here:). I also sweep and mop (with a stick) the house for 40 mins a day and then do other regular activities. I am mentioning this so that you can have an idea of the energy used.

Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if I can post the workout details here or in other threads.

Thanks for all the support:thumbsup
    Have a great day!:)