1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Did Anyone Lose Weight By Walking 10,000 Steps A Day?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by abc00, Jan 29, 2017.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

If anyone lost weight by walking 10,000 steps a day please share your success story and any device you used to count your steps (fitbit etc). Im planning to start soon.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I guess it depends on different body types. It didnt help me lose weight but it helps me maintain. For me, sensible diet is very critical to weight loss.
    I use LifeLog app on my phone.
    I dont drive, so in a typical day activities itself will result in 4-5K steps outside the house. So with a little effort , I can easily meet the 10K target. In fact at the height of Pokemon Go craze for couple of months I was averaging 15-20K per week. Walking helps my digestion/bloating, gives me good sleep, keeps me brisk and active - but weight loss ? nah!

yesican and momsky like this.
  3. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Yeah, I agree. The daily 10K steps alone is not going to help. It depends on the pace of your walk (casual stroll vs brisk walk/jog). Tracking and trying to achieve 10k steps everyday is good for being active and avoiding sedentary lifestyle. But by itself, it cannot help you to lose weight much though. If weight loss is the key goal, then a combination of good diet (with calorie counting), cardio (brisk walking and others), and some weight training to build muscle mass is ideal.

4. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

10,000 steps helped me maintain my weight . I don't lose a pound with that goal. Some duration of high intensity cardio, good diet helped me in the past. I am still learning strength training regime.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Weight loss is always based on calories in vs calories out. If you consume less calories than you burn you see results. You could use a calorie tracking app to track your calories consumed vs calories burned. That will give you an idea of what sort of workout you should do to lose weight. I do know of someone here who did watch what she ate while nursing an injury and still lost weight. @Gauri03 did that.

Weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. Now to look toned you do need to add some form of strength training into your regimen. Cardio exercises can be used as an excellent caloriea burn tool. Both help release endorphins to help feel upbeat and better. I always feel better and more positive on days I work out.

Hth!

blindpup10 and Gauri03 like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 is correct. You can lose weight by walking 10K steps if you watch your calorific intake. 10K steps are approx equal to 4 to 5 miles depending on your stride length. Assuming you are in your 30s and need to lose 20-30 lbs, you would burn between 70-90 calories per mile. So by walking 10K you are burning approx 300-450 cals. If you can keep that deficit by watching what you eat, you will lose weight. I lost a lot of weight but it was all done by counting calories and zero exercise. Later I started running which accelerated the weight loss dramatically. But I never stopped counting calories.

chocogal26 and Laks09 like this.
  7. Aabha82

Aabha82 New IL'ite

10k steps seems to work for a lot of people. Is there somebody who actually did it? Hows the result judging only by that 10k steps.