1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Use for old clothes

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by anmolhai, Mar 9, 2006.

1. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I was wondering how to use old clothes that are not torn but you are not going to wear them. Kids clothes I give away to my maid but she doesn't wear Salwar Kameez so what to do with them?? I have used some in making pillow/cousin covers . I have also used old Jeans to make handbags but what else???

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

quilting

Hi,

Try to use old salwar, kameez, dupatte etc for quilting. Old jeans can be used to make quilted bed spreads, they are light and warm. If u have dupattas in good condition, either sew new born clothes or just give them to charity hospitals to wrap new borns.

I am doing a quilting course and everyone is using old clothes. In India, we also make razais.

rgds
    Vidya

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hi vidya,
    I would like to know more about quilting. Can we study online? I have seen some sites while searching but couldn't understand from them.

4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi
    The best thing to do with still usable clothes is to give them away to charity. Destitute homes, NGOs and churches usually accept if the clothes are in good condition.

If the fabric of the Kameez is still attractive, and not faded, you can make "throws", to place on teapoys, side tables etc. or cover for the Microwave, Mixie. Just cut out largish squares of required size , line with a sturdy plain cloth ( maybe from the salwar) give all round piping for the four edges with any old zari border or lace.
    I have seen a friend using patterned silk cloth from old salwar kameez to make pretty photo frames for her child's drawings.
    You can also make letter-holders.

Manjula

5. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi,
    u can do some embrod'y works in the old clothes if ur interested,so that it'll improves ur talent morre.also any beeds or some design works in salwar means u can take it out from the the old clothes & stich to other dress.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Safa,

I am sorry, but have no idea abt online resources to learn quilting. I did a one on one course, and personally would have found it difficult to teach myself from the net.

7. lakshmi0502

lakshmi0502 New IL'ite

hi,
    what is meant by razai's ? i couldn't follow

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Razai is a thick,layered blanket. It is similar to comforter or duvet. Is pretty eco friendly and economical since one can pack off old sarees into the layers.

9. hippo

hippo New IL'ite

There is the concpt of buying utensils by giving old clothes...these "utensil seller" roam in the steet carrying utensils in the head basket....in my mother's place ( new delhi ) I have seen them .

10. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

Pl try to check up wht Redcross ppl they collect used clothes clean them and make them ready for distribution in times of natural calamities .