1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic or wooden cutting boards

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kanaka Raghavan, Feb 19, 2014.

1. krvchitra

krvchitra Bronze IL'ite

good instead of a glass cutting board we can use a tile good idea

2. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Plastics are better than wood. You can wash plastic in dishwashers at high temperatures and eliminate bacterial contamination. Wood will easily be contaminated and difficult to clean properly. Tempered glass can also be used but it should be handled very carefully

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

It's my understanding that wood has some bactericidal properties in it and that using wood and cleaning with lemon juice and salt is adequate. For me, I use plastic boards (I have several) and put them in the dishwasher as soon as I use them. As for hard surfaces like granite, glass, etc. ....well, of course they are easier to clean but they ruin your knives. If you use poor quality knives I guess go for it, but if you have high quality knives you are asking for trouble.

1 person likes this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

I prefer wooden boards, as it even if small chips come off of it during cutting, there is no harm in swallowing/eating the food. Plastic may look better, but it is not healthy as chips are in-digestible. Granite/glass/tiles/marble all would spoil the knife and also indigestible, so I dont consider them as options.

The new-age is "Food Processor"

My in-laws sill use the old-age Arival-manai (அரிவாள்மணை), which looks like an inverted knife stuck to a piece of heavy wood, where you could slice vegetables directly. That may be the best option, but I have never mastered the art of using it.

"kathipeeta" (telugu)/ Boti(bengali) /"addoli(konkani)/ Arivalmanai(Tamil)/ pankhi(oriya) / vili-morli (Marathi)/ "thuriyo mane" (Kannada) / paniki (Oriya) / "Hansua"(Hun-s-oo-wa)Bihari/daat (panjabi)/ hansua (bihar)/hasiya in m.p
    Arivalimanai.jpg Arivalimanai2.jpg

3 people like this.
  5. sindhumanoj

sindhumanoj Senior IL'ite

Thanks all for that useful tips.
    I own a plastic cutting board and like most always worried about whether it is safe to use.
    How do you clean plastic chopping boards? At present I use the dish washing liquid to clean it. But stains still remain.
    Shanvy's granite chopping board is a good idea, only moving it around is difficult.
    But granite doesn't chip under pressure?

6. akilakarthi

akilakarthi Junior IL'ite

I used to clean and use my counter it is granite. No wear and tear mark till

7. Vikramguliya

Vikramguliya New IL'ite

Thank you shanvy. The information given will be useful for my current work