1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

silver items getting dark :(

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by feya, Nov 17, 2012.

1. feya

feya Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

I started cleaning my silver pooja items with white toothpaste after getting tips from this site, it used to sparkle, i had to clean them only once in 10 days. But since last 15 days i find dat the colour gets changed very soon,dat s within 2-3 days it becomes dark though m following the same cleaning process. Nothing has changed except for the weather here, winter s beginning....... Can anyone tell me wat s going wrong n how can i keep them shining????
    Thanks

2. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

hey feya...

have you tried it cleaning with lemon.. i clean my silver items with lemon... and it remains for couple of days...!!

I also think.. that like silver anklet will not become dark soon because it is daily used as we wear it... and i use silver glass,bowl and plate for my lo... and it also get dark not soon... but the bowl and other items kept in showcase gets dark fast... i dont know.. wether this logic is right or not... just wrote what i observed.

As you said that u have pooja items... i am sure you must be washing it... just wash it nicely for few mins... not a rush wash.

3. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

As far as I know, its tooth powder , not tooth paste... I have used tooth powder to clean my silver pooja articles..it worked well..

Instead, you can use "pitambari" cleaning powder which comes specially to clean the pooja items whether brass or silver. I am presently using it.

You have to wipe the things with a dry cloth immediately after you wash. This will prevent getting darken.

1 person likes this.
  4. feya

feya Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much for ur reply,i read a post in IL for cleaning silver items either with paste or powder!!! Will try pithambari!

5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

The silver articles left in cupboard or shelf turns darker faster than the ones we use is becuase it undergoes chemical reaction with the oxygen present in the air.

Polising or washing it with Pitambari is easier to clean to sparkle whereas lemon or other citric products a little more effort is needed, At the end wipe the article with a clean dry white cloth (thin) and a little of vibuthi polish it (only for pooja articles) well with your fingers it stays shiny for a longer time.

I havent tried tooth paste or powder...

Best wishes...

6. sarojavijay

sarojavijay Gold IL'ite

Use viboothi for cleaning silver pooja items. It will work well.

7. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

You can try using vibhoodhi (the ashes which you put on your forehead), It is a very good method to clean silver articles.

8. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Here is how I clean my silver things. In a glass dish put aluminium foil at bottom. Sprinkle Baking soda on top of it generously. Fill the dish with hot water & dip your silver wear in this. Give few mins and your silver htings will be clean & sparkling.

1 person likes this.
  9. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

There is a silver polish I bought here. It is a bit smelly but cleans the silver items very bright. But don't forget to wear a gloves.
    Hamsa