1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,
    This whole week I spend time in cleaning my house. Organizing house..
    2 bedroom cleaning
    kitchen
    God room
    bathroom
    living room

oh ho.. am tired now. will post some pictures soon !

But ladies, whatever I clean holds good for few days or max a week. After that I need to clean again. Horrible..
    Any tips? You want me to clean then & there? as am working daily i cant clean...

1 person likes this.
  2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have been quite busy since the beginning of the year. The first two days were visits with two families for pujas, and temple visits. My son's friend is staying with us for the last two days and two more. I am on my toes making three meals--pastas, breads, naans--since he is non-Indian I am giving different options for him. Son leaves on sunday and I hope to catch some nap from monday.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lakshmi, i sometimes come to nanmangalam. i like the neela varna perumal there. and hope the results of your health check up is fine.

usha now take the rest that you so much deserve after the marathon.

anitha, we find dust just after an hour of cleaning and dusting, pollution is so bad in chennai..so we are forced to dust atleast once in 2 days if possible. it depends on your place.

regarding the mess that recurs after a few days, it is because we all have the tendency to pluck dresses of the pile randomly in a hurry. if we want to stop this we need to consciously keep the dress out the day before when you are not in a hurry if possible. it is not just working moms, even I have the issue. i am in a hurry and i do it..:hide: and my son for every dress he takes out he drops one down.. we always make fun you take one, there is one free down..:drowning:drowning

so you will get the clue to handle it soon..don't be too hard on yourself.

3 people like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I think this is one place in my kitchen i have not discussed. my knife, rollers, blender, chopping boards.

today i had removed all knifes, and the separators, the boards, cleaned them, washed them in hot water and dried and have taken a picture to give a idea.. not a must. we made a conscious decision to make space for this because i have problems with reflex, my son is always in a hurry and my daughter is sometimes very klutzy..

a neighbour of mine makes fun when i wash my knives, boards (read that as scrubbing them with so much elbow grease) reason is that being vegetarian where is the need. i beg to differ and believe that knifes though cleaned everyday, need a proper thorough cleaning once in 10/15 days..

Holds my knives, apple cutter, graters, knife sharpener, blender,scissors,peelers, vegetable bags, rolling pins, roller, cake servette, pizza cutter, bag clips, emergency match box, a antiseptic cream for emergency

Attached Files:

8 people like this.
  5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Can knives be washed in dishwasher?
    I wash knives and cutting board in dishwasher everyday also keep the cleaning sponge inside dish washer too.
    Being veg I thought this was ok way to clean. Would like to know the right way of doing it.

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lakshmi, belated wishes to your husband on his birthday and a big milestone.

AC, i have never used dishwasher, and i thought dishwasher would be doing a good job. see my maid when she cleans she may not be cleaning the handles in case of knives, in the peeler in between the sharp edges, and in case of a apple cutter, there will be a residue collected over a period of time if you don't clean it periodically.

so i soak everything in hot water, use a brush to scrub, and then clean with a scouring pad..and the chopping board, i hate the stains that steep into the board..so i clean it periodically to keep it atleast a wee bit clean...the board is 3 years old and i cut all my vegetables and fruits on that..so i would like to ensure there is nothing that goes into any of those minute cuts.

i thought of a anti bacterial scratch resistant glass board, but for reasons obvious no glass for me..

3 people like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear All
    Thank you for your New Year wishes and for liking my "before" and "after" pictures.

Dear Lakshmi
    My belated birthday wishes to your husband for many more happy returns of the day. Trust all the results are positive.

Dear OOTB
    Yes, slippery floors are a real danger. My mom's home also has this floor we bought the plastic carpet and placed them all over the home. If you place reasonably small sizes it is easier to clean. (Additional work, yes, but it is well worth compared to the safety)

Even in my home where there is a maximum amount of wooden flooring we have put small carpets (rugs) to prevent slippage.

Dear Shanvy
    Nice to read your gardening posts and see the plants too. Here it is bitterly cold (As i type it is -1 degree Celsius) and everything is frosty.

No I haven't met Sriniketan, though we live in neighboring states. Nice to read about your meeting.

Yes, I too wash knives immediately after every use. Veg or non-veg, the residues left on the knives are organic and will decompose, thus attracting harmful bacteria. They have to be washed and wiped dry before storage. Same goes for the cutting board too.

Well organised drawer. Thanks for sharing the picture. Can you give the link in thread II to this page? Thanks.

Dear Anitha
    Tell me about it; the mess that happens within minutes of arrangement. But that is what home is; if it does not get messy it is a museum :) And even museums are cleaned everyday!

So the best thing is to mentally relax first.
    After coming home take time to read a book, magazine or just sit and do nothing. But do it only for a set duration; no more, no less. Then start any work that you want to do.

During the weekdays, set aside 15-20 minutes before bedtime to walk thru the home, picking up clutter and just straightening .
    As Shanvy says, setting clothes aside the previous night is a great idea. Slowly adopt the same approach to other stuff that you need to take in the morning.
    For deep cleaning adopt one room a weekend and rotate. Keep either Saturday or Sunday completely free from deep-cleaning work.
    This way you will not feel frustrated. Best wishes.

Dear AC
    I don't wash knives in dishwasher - found the hard way that they go blunt faster. so I hand wash in hot water immediately after use, wipe dry and store.

Dear Usha
    From Monday I too will get back to the regular routine.
    Going back to my calendar:
    Yesterday - Friday- I added cleaning my handbag and de-clutter the car.
    (courtesy Flylady).

Handbag - I completely dumped everything on the table and put everything back - Found lots of coins and receipts - separated them and put them in their places after returning home. Took me me less than 10 minutes. (I did it during my lunch break).

Car
    • From work I drove straight to the gas station to fill up, and after parking in my home, picked up bits and pieces of paper and small stuff from the seats and put them in a grocery bag I keep in the car for collecting trash, and threw them out.
    • I removed the car mats and quickly hit them on the ground to remove the sand and dust particles and put them back.
    • That's it - no washing or wiping. The interior of the car is clean now. - Time taken - about 10 minutes.
    • A total of about 30 minutes extra (from filling the gas tank to keeping the interior clean). I can worry about washing/wiping the exterior when the weather is a bit warmer.

Have a great weekend. Will post as soon as I can next.

6 people like this.
  8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

talking about knives-I use knives from Cutco cutlery. They are expensive, but guaranteed free sharpening and replacement parts in case damaged ,not to mention the ease with which they cut. I wash them after each use, wipe and put away in their case.These are something to pass on from generation to another.

3 people like this.
  9. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Shanvy, Thanks for your wishes. I have darshan of Neela Varna Perumal often-10 minutes walk from my present flat. You are welcome to my place when you visit here next.

After cleaning my knives and peelers i give them a sun bath once in a while. I had fixed magnetic knife holder in my own house in Mambalam which holds knives and scissors. I gave some magnetic rings to my carpenter and asked him to fix those rings in a wooden frame. He did a nice job and i got my magnetic holder. Your draw which holds the things looks compact and holds almost everything.

Kkrish, Thanks for your wishes. Your routine of decluttering is simply superb. You energise everybody here by your encouraging and appreciating words. Nothing can substitute for a few sincere words of praise.

Our check up done in Royappettah and our report is coming only today. But dh's appointment with the cardiologist and his echo is only on Tuesday evening. Also we have our family pooja in Mylapore temple on Tue morning. So I am planning to get the report only on Tuesday. We dont want to go all the way to Royapettah today, only to get the report.

Hope all of you are relaxing and enjoying your week end.

Lakshmi.

2 people like this.
  10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

kkrish I only have few knives and dont even own a knife sharpener. these are ordinary walmart bought knives very inexpensive
    however the quality has been really good so far the shine of the blade still like new and cuts like new too
    and always been washed thru the dishwasher unless the cutting has been light.
    maybe we got lucky. i will from now on try to wask more by hand so I can have them longer now that we are so used to them.

1 person likes this.