1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pman,

Sorry for the late reply. Girl you are rocking at BMI 24 and now you want a rock hard abs.

The area of abs is a bit dicey without professional help because with time our muscles go lose. Planks are supposed to work best as you lift all your body weight with the help of your stomach muscles. Give it a try, it might help.

Ab Exercises: The Plank - YouTube

All the best.

Lots of love

3. akanksha999

akanksha999 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

Loved reading your blog. You are a real inspiration. I would be very grateful if you could please help me with these doubts I have..

Is it ok to eat only oats (Mornflakes oats in skimmed milk) for breakfast? I started it bcos it has low GI.
    And when is the best time for brisk walking - I mean before or after meals

Thanks so much and lotsa love,
    Akanksha

4. sizzling

sizzling New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

Finally located you !!!

This fat chick is now stuck at 69...

I was 88 kgs with a height of 5ft. In a years time I dropped to 69 through
    eating right and exercising at home.Need to lose another 15kgs. Somehow I don't
    subscribe to the established standard height and weight ratios according to which
    my standard weight should be in the 40's slab. I am an Indian and if I get reed thin
    I'd look like a hag for sure.

Anyway, I am giving below my diet chart for your suggestions and advice :

I work from 0800hrs till 1630hrs .It is a desk job .

0600hrs - Breakfast consisting of 3 fistful of cornflakes and cold milk(3/4th cup).
    I donot go for slim/fat free milk.Just plain toned milk.

I am out of the house by 0700hrs for workplace.

0830hrs - One fistful of puffed rice.

1100hrs - An apple.

1300hrs - Lunch consisting of 1 boiled egg and a bowl of sprouts. After half an hour I consume a cup of probiotic yogurt.

1530/1600hrs - Roasted peanuts/popcorn(not the microwave variety but what you get from the bhujiawala shop.They fry it on sand and rock salt using no oil and on iron kadai)

Get back home by 1700/1730hrs.

Consume either a small mango or a bannana.Then start my workout which is 40mins walk on treadmill with varying intensity.Plus on alternate days I workout the upper and lower body.

I finish my workout at 1930hrs.Then I have a glass of protein with milk again (it is PROTEINEX powder by wockhardt).

2100/2130hrs - Dinner comprising of 1 roti, a cup of sabzi and fish .

2230 - Bed.

Need your help !

Soma

5. shivachoubey

Dear Shanvy,

Sorry for the late reply. I hope I meet you soon in Muscat dear girl :).

As for the weight loss plateau, this is what I researched and this is what I personally agree with.

1. Plateau occurs when your calorie consumption = calorie expense. So when you lose weight you require lesser calories. The same exercise that burnt more calories will burn few calories at a lower weight.

2. To go back to the weight loss, we need to be at a constant weight for 2-3 weeks, this is a period where we let the body get used to the new weight. This is essential in cases like yours where weight loss is more than 10 kgs.

3. To break the plateau you will have to change the diet and the exercise, in short give body a shock treatment. The shock treatment shakes the weight plateau. Remember, closer to a healthy weight more frequent the plateaus will be. If your body feels you are at healthy weight it will resist weight loss.

4. To give shock treatment to the body, for 2 days increase the calorie intake and then for next 2 days decrease the calorie intake this shakes the plateau.

5. Change your workout after shaking the plateau so that body gets a new challenge and is in a confused state and lose weight.

Hope this helps.

Lots of love to you.

regards

2 people like this.
  6. shivachoubey

Dear Kshripa,

Welcome back. I am happy to know that now your husband is committed to exercise and losing weight.

Here are your answers.

It takes time to get used to low salt diet but once you get used to it then you won't miss the salt. You can either ask your doctor or Google the right amount of salt to be consumed and then stick to that amount of salt.

Your diet is fine don't cut back more. Include lots of salads and home made soup for variety and also include fruits.

The dairy is the problem. Opt for low fat curd. The skimmed milk is like water and I do not go for it but instead for double fat go for cow milk. Remember, dairy is very important while dieting so make sure to consume it but instead of full fat versions available here in middle east opt for low fat versions.

As for your exercise. 45 minutes is the least you should exercise 5-6 days a week, try making it 60 minutes.

Make sure to weigh yourself and your husband every week this way you guys will stay on track.

We all know that food with lot of spices, salt, oil is not healthy food. A simple home cooked meal prepared with less spices and adequate salt might be boring but once you devlope a taste for it you will appreciate it more than anyother food in the world. A simple home cooked meal is the food for the soul as well as for the heart and as well for the body.

All the best. Keep me updated.

lots of love

7. shivachoubey

Dear Misha,

Nice to hear from you. My life is gone a tad busy and hence the late reply. I have already sent this reply long back to you through private message so I am again pasting the same reply here.

Dearest Misha,

Lots of love to you. People who respect you based on your body are not worth getting respect from. So, in the end at your work place, your work will speak not your body.

This weekend go and search for Lycra t-shirts. You can wear Lycra t-shirts in water. In fact, they offer such t shirts in water parks in India. So, you can wear shorts and the Lycra t- shirt which will look good and you need not bother about taking it off. We get such t-shirts and shorts in sun and sand which is a sports shop and has branches all over the world including US. You can search for such t-shirts on Google. You have this weekend to shop.

Chill and relax. Moreover, once you are in water no one will pay that much attention and I am sure there will be fatter people wearing bikinies, so look at them and feel confident.

Other people's reaction is the mirror of our reaction. So, if you laugh and look down upon yourself so will others. Give two hoots to them, you have all the right to enjoy and live in this world. If they look down upon you then it their loss and you look down upon them. Don't let other people rule your mood and life, this is your life and your body and its your right to love it.

So, plan for a blast next week, shop smartly and dress smartly and have loads of fun.

Lots of love and hugs.

BTW I noticed this part in your post right now.

One word for it. Awesome. You rock.

Lots of love once again.

8. shivachoubey

Dear Akansha,

Read your thread and its an awesome start for weight loss. We all are with you.
    Thanks for the appreciation.

Nothing wrong with it. The portion size is written at the back of the pack so follow the portion size. If you love morning flakes have them by all means. If you get bored with them add new options and alternatives.

You won't be able to brisk walk after meals. Try it and see. With full stomach you won't be able to walk fast. The best time is just before the meal. Walking will make you hungry, so you can come back and have your food. Your metabolism is high after exercising and hence its the best time to have a meal.

You can go for a stroll or light walk after 30-40 minutes after your meal, but brisk is done on empty stomach.

Lots of love to you.

regards

9. shivachoubey

Dear Soma,

Finally I found you !!!!!.

Welcome to the thread.

Awesome work for reducing the weight. Congrats and keep it up.

Once you enter the 60's range things become a tad tough. But without things being tough we won't appreciate and have fun losing weight. What fun is there if weight loss is easy (thats what I tell myself.)

1. If you want your weight to move with the same diet, shift to only cardio 60 minutes and no weights for few days. You will see the weight moving down.

2. Try the above for 2 weeks and see the difference.

3 When you return back to weights here are the changes you should make.

A) Instead of 1 egg, have 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. B) Try getting 1 roti in your lunch. This way you will have a diet for life. Dinner is fine.

Try the above points and let me know if the weight shifted. Increase your cardio and give up weights for 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Lots of love

regards

10. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Dear friends!

Thank you so much for the timely help, and morale boost. Shiva your e-mail was awesome, made me forget all the negativity I was thinking, Vani (Pman) thanks much for your e-mail too, I could not buy that swimsuit but it def gave me an option and moral support. Pink rubies, thank you for soothing words! Geeta damle, Thanks! I got the link…. All your replies helped me overcome my anxiety.

Ok, I had gotten tight lycra capris and a light blue top over it- it was great- I had the best of the times there, I enjoyed it to the hilt! I had all the splashy and other rides, once I was there, I just forgot about all this and had a blast!  Love u guyssssssss

On the weight loss front, My eating habits are bit erratic, I am eating less these days- mostly on egg whites / veggie patties (soya- morning star brand)- I am walking for 50- 60 min, and have increased the speed to 4.1 but I do walk between 4 and 4.1, sometimes 4.2 but not there yet. I don’t keep track of calories, and so this week my weight is 71.9 Kgs. I am going to keep walking at this speed this week, but would incorporate free hand / weights 2 times. Also, instead of eating a sandwich in the afternoon I wud try making it half and add fruits. Lets see – I know the basics given by shiva- so wud re-read those before making any changes in diet coz I don’t want to use up all the tricks that our body needs for weight loss once plateau hits.

Thanks!
    God Bless,
    Love n hugs,
    Misha