1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Clean House - A way of life

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ptamil2007, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Kala:

Some tips which might help you:

1. For Clothes, assuming you are using a washing machine. Sort by clothes which can be washed together.
    2. Wash in the evenings, dont feel odd that most of people wash in the daytime. We have to adjust to our lifestyle.
    3. Keep washing on alternate days like Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

For every weekend, do not overload yourself with housework only/. A little planning can help reduce chores.

For e.g: Cleaning of bathroom and toilets: Every thursday 10 minutes before taking bath.
    Clean them and directly go and have a bath

Set timers for every task and measure how much time it takes for you to do it. This way, you can plan the timings accordingly

2. Kalanandakumar

Kalanandakumar Silver IL'ite

Washing clothes in the evening what a brilliant idea.. never thought about it at all... Yes i use a washing machine and I shall try to wash it alternative days...
    And I have to come up with a time table for the rest of the work as well so that I will not be over burdened with so much work on weekends.....

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Way to go Kala.
    Planning reduces our work load by 50%
    Plan ahead and have a easy life

4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Thats a lovely thread.. how did i miss all this..

anyways i can join u guys only when i move to new house...
    Until then hang on and check me how i am creating mess at present house.. ofcourse along with my son

5. Kalanandakumar

Planning for some thing... Shall adhere to it for one week and share what I planned and how much I executed .... Thats Pavitra for the motivation :)

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

:)
    You are welcome anytime Priya

Here are few tips when moving house: (from my experience after having moved 3 houses in 3 years):

If you are shifting nearby location, plan to shift in small batches
    Clean out one area of the house at a time
    Keep separate cardboxes for kitchen, bedroom clothes etc..
    While cleaning out the kitchen, throw the unwanted stuff in the old house itself, take only the needed ones to the new house.
    Empty the jars, clean them, dry them, refill them - then pack them.
    I know it is a lot of work, but it is worth it

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I just finished my declutter challenge and happened to see this thread. Better late than never, thought I would share a few tips :thumbsup

The thumb rule used was that anything that was not used even once in the last 5 years, may or may never be needed again is good enough to be decluttered/discarded. After several guilt trips(oh, should I really throw this??) and sentimental traps, I did get rid of most of the unwanted/unused stuff.

Discard or Donate these:

1) Clothes
    All clothes that had not be worn for many years, had shrunk or faded in color, was either too tight or too small, was an impulse buy or a dress that looked good on the hanger but not on the person :bonk, go to the charity collection.
    2) Books
    Any book that will not be read ever again(novels and story books), go to the library donation collection.
    3) Kitchen Utensils
    All utensils that could not be used for cooking but kept aside(non stick pans with the entire coating gone), irregular sized vessels(burnt, melted etc), old cups(decades old??) etc go to the trash.
    4) Medicines
    Expired medicines, medicines which we could not recall the purpose for nor had the prescription for etc went to the trash.
    5) Cosmetics and beauty products
    Cosmetics, mostly impulse buys, which were used only once for curiosity in the past so many years and will be never used again went to the trash.
    6) Paper
    Old calendars, expense diaries(previous years, decades), notes not needed anymore, news papers and magazines went to the trash or recycle bin(where available).
    7) Misc items
    Items like half used sun screen(long expired), half used coconut oil, age old perfume, broken toys, broken artifacts, clocks that may never work, broken gift items etc go to the trash.
    8) CDs and Casettes
    Hundreds and thousands of cds and casettes were copied over to the computer and written to dvds or secondary storage with much higher capacity and original cds discarded.
    9) Shoes
    Discard completely worn out/torn shoes that you have never worn for the past year or so and donate those that are decent enough to be worn by some one else.
    10) Food products
    Discard spices, powders, flours, mixes,any food ingredient that is past it's expiry date.
    If the expiry date is no longer visible on the packet, it is time to discard the same.

Organize these:

1) Clothes
    Sort clothes according to season and pack those that you may not use for that particular season.
    2) Bills and Documents
    File utility bills, bank statements, medical documents, legal documents, educational certificates, employment letters and other id cards, bank cards etc in their respective files, clearly marked and arranged.
    3) Photographs
    File all photographs in proper albums. For those that have become dull and decayed with time, scan them and preserve them in the computer.
    4) Books
    Organize important books and notes with clear titles, easy to access or reference.
    5) Personal Items
    Gifts, Greeting Cards, Letters - file or store only those that are of sentimental value or important. Discard stuff like 1990 season's greetings from the Electric company mass sent to all the customers etc.

End of the declutter challenge, house looked pretty spacious, neat and organized, only that my family kept hiding from me, fearing that I might throw them out as well in the process :bonk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. Kalanandakumar

Some how I feel this thread very interesting and motivating....
    This weekend I could finish washing all my clothes. I washed them in three batches Friday evening, Saturday morning and Sunday evening... This way I have completed all the lot that was lying in my laundry bags from 2 weeks... Thanks Pavitra for the guidance...
    1) I was also able to clean the utility... discarding all the waste materials unused for some time and not needed in future....
    2) Cleaned my bathroom... Have kept only the thing which are used on a daily basis.. rest are in the shelf... this way the bathroom looks so neat and tidy....

Thanks all for your lovely tips and patience for listening to me guiding me...

Love to all - Kala

9. tictactoe

tictactoe New IL'ite

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. suninana

suninana New IL'ite