1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

A weight loss success story

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by shivachoubey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Tina85

Tina85 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

I had been thinking of writing to you but thought i will do some small steps and see a small shift in scale and then update you with it..I think you missed out my previous post regarding my concerns on night shift..but I got the answer to my question by following your thread.. Long back you had answered another poster regarding that advising her to start having breakfast when you wake up regardless of whether it's night or day.. And follow thru all rest of the meals..

For past few weeks I had been following your blog and this thread religiously.. I read and reread the same.. I read this thread from the very first page.. My main motto was to impress my subconscious that it was possible to loose weight.. I learned a lot from you aswellas from other ladies who regularly updated here and raised all doubts they had and slowly but steadily shed all the extra weight off..

Finally it was time for action and I starting my journey last week Sunday with a few changes here and there

1. First I downloaded food diary app in my phone.. So It was very handy application to just note all that passed thru my mouth..
    2. I had home cooked food all three meals.. In fact I cooked and froze some food..took food for work.. (Frankly speaking it was so embarrassing the first few days as here in Singapore they don do that)..

3. Started with 30 mins walking.. Now increased to 1 Hr...

With all these changes made and following it for one week I have lost 1kg today.
    My weight was 77.8 kg last Sunday
    Today it's 76.7 kg

Thanks shiva..
    Pls guide me in my journey .. Hope to receive support and motivation from you..

Regards
    Tina

2. Tina85

Tina85 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva,

Thought I would update you with the diet followed..I am workin permenant night shifts..
    So my work is from 7.30 pm to 7.45 am..
    5.30 pm -1 slice papaya/ pineapple/ banana( had any one of these each day)
    6.00 pm -2 idly with sambar and tomato chutney/ 2 dosa/ wholemweal veg sandwitch with cheese ( had any one of these each day)
    11.30 pm- 4 spoon rice ( starch less form) with dal buttermilk and veg Subji ( just the way u wrote in your blogs)
    4.30 am-vegetable sandwich in wholemeal bread
    7.30 am- one orange
    8.30 am to 9.30 am walking
    10.00 am 1 glass milk
    Then sleep untill 5 pm

This was my diet last week. Pls advise if any changes need to be done.. But if you consider my lifestyle before last week I have improved a lot.. Before it used to be rice curry chicken or fish or chineese noodles etc here in Singapore it's really difficult to find vegetarian food outside..So I had no choice but have watever was available..

Sorry for long double post.. I just poured in watever was in my mind.. Still feels theres lot more to write but don want you to get bored off.. After all you goes thru a lot of posts like this on daily basis naa..

But anyways you are doing a gr8 work by sharing and motivating ladies like me to lose weight and see life in a new way

Thanks
    Will keep you updated from here on...
    Tina

3. nehajagadeesh

nehajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

hi shiva
    its been almost 20 days till now ,my weight loss program is going in a zoom.
    my initial weight was 65 kgs
    current weight is 61 kgs
    wow i lost almost 4kgs
    goal weight 52kgs

but i'm not on harsh diet or exercise
    i used to do 30min threadmill and increased to 1hr.........but since 3days i'm having severe backpain as i had c-sec in both my pregnencies .now i do only for 20 min .but eat everything in portion sized and strictly no oil and sugar (except for morning and evening coffee:coffee).this was recommended by my dietician.......that's the reason i'm following.sometimes i do cheat...:bonkbut once in a while its o.k i think.

4. jaanu74

jaanu74 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva !!

One question... when i walk everyday..i sweat...sweat...sweat.. having body bath after walks is fine but what do i do about my hair...i can't wash my hair everyday...i mean shampooing daily will have bad effect right?... i hate to go to work without washing my hair...its all greasy etc... Do you wash your hair daily?

Please advice

5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Misha,

Of course we remember you. Lots of hugs to you babes.

Think about this. Tension, stress and work pressure will always be there. So if you lose weight when you are stress free and then pile that back on when you are stressed than is it worth losing in the first place.

There is no going back to your old habits, you have to bury them forever. Your healthy lifestyle should be the lifestyle that you should follow always no matter, what just like the way we brush our teeth every single day no matter how stressed or stress free we are.

SO give this a thought and make a permanent change. A good example of lifestyle change is, suppose if you are used to having a whole large tub of ice cream and its a must for you then opting for a small ice cream on weekend or once a month is a lifestyle change which you can follow life long. No matter what, you can never go back to eating that whole tub at one go, that habit should be dead.

Having just buttermilk for lunch is never a good idea. AT the end of the day its will result in low sugar and will make you feel hungry (even if it keeps you happy during lunch time). SO think about the dry things that you can take to your lab.

1. Youtube is full of stuff that one can get in US. Sometimes I feel sad why these things are not available here. Search Ezekiel bread. One wrap of this brand have 100 calories and very less carbs. This is what they recommend on low carb diet. The wrap will be like a roti and you can add some dry stuffing to it, roll it in a foil and take to your lab.

They also have something called as sprouted bread. Search for it too, you can carry a sandwich of sprouted bread.

2. Just make your dinner one day ahead. So when you come back home you can just attack a bowl of daal with little daliya and sabji.

3. Carry fruits and munch on them as snacks.

No worries, just go to the gym twice a week but go for your night walks regularly. You can definitely take out 30 - 40 minutes for a walk. Instead of stressing yourself treat this like your relaxing time where you won't worry about anything in this world and just love the life as it is while you walk.

Misha, you were doing good so don't give it up. It will be very difficult to start over again if you will put on the lost weight. As far as I remember the last weight you reported was 72 kgs, think about it, it you try and make little changes you can at least break the 70s barrier.

Hope you will give this post a thought.

One thing about life that will never change is that it will always be difficult and challenging. The moment you think you can relax it will push forward a challenge in front of you and you will be left struggling to deal with it. When you will have a new job, a new place you will also have new challenges, so its up to you to figure out how to lose weight with the present circumstances. The best way is to make healthy living a habit.

Most people, brush, bathe,eat, sleep, every single day no matter what difficulty they are facing then why can not they brush, bathe, eat, sleep and exercise no matter what difficulty they are facing.

Lots of love to you

regards

6. shivachoubey

Dear Tina,

Lots of love to you and kudos for bringing in the changes.

To achieve the things you never achieved before YOU have to do things that you have never done before not matter how embarrassing they are.

1. At 5:30pm papaya is fine but avoid banana and pineapple. Have pineapple once a week but not regulalrly as it is high in sugar.

Why I am asking you not to have banana at 5:30pm because,

lets say that your breakfast is 300 - 400 calories, which is absolutely fine But a banana will easily add 100 - 150 calories more to your breakfast same goes true with pineapple.

Keep the banana and have it as a small meal.

From 6:00 to 11:30 you are having nothing so have a banana in between. Try eating every 2 hours. A fruit till you have your lunch is good enough to keep your metabolism up.

Good work, this is my never fail recipe. It always works for me.

Stick to this diet till you stop losing weight and then we will make the changes.

It does not matter what time you sleep or what time you get up, so don't bother about it. What always matter is what food you put in your mouth and how much calories it has.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

7. shivachoubey

Dear Nehajagadeesh,

Good works and congrats for your weight loss.

See is this works.

1. Never use treadmill on inclination.

2. Don't hold the treadmil bars and walk. Walking by swinging your arms to and fro.

3. While walking wear a waist support. DO NOT wear waist/back support for normal working but do wear it while walking on the treadmill.

4. Lie down on your stomach with your face down. Now, lift one leg up count 10 and bring it back. Do this with both legs for 20 counts. And then do the same by lifting both the legs. You will feel tension at the small of your back, this is a great back strengthening exercise and it definitely works.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

8. shivachoubey

Dear Janu,

I wash my hair daily else my face will be covered with oil. My hair is also greasy. I have been washing my hair daily from years now and its just fine. When hair is greasy it accumulates dirt.

These are the few things that you might find useful and that works for me.

1. I use daily wash mild shampoo.

2. Give baby shampoo a try. Somehow it dried my hair but I have read that its great for daily wash.

3. Now this does sounds funny but somehow it worked great for me. There is a dove creme liquid soap available in supermarket. Its very creamy and its a body wash. I use it for my daily head bath and use a dove shampoo twice a week. Now this body wash keep my scalp soft and my hair clean. Somehow, it is working wonders for me. So this way I am limiting the use of shampoo just twice a week. See if this works for you.

Hope this helps.

regards

9. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear Shiva,
    My weight loss journey has begun and I must reach my target weight soon.
    We have made healthy changes in our food habits as well.
    That coupled with walking must actually help me.
    Thanks Shiva, for motivating me.

10. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Dear Shiva
    I felt really relieved to get your hugs and encouragement! It is so difficult to keep in mind everyone especially as you are the most sought after person on this forum, and I was pleasantly surprised that you have remembered and documented my weight too!!
    Again as always ur reply made me come back to the state where I was striving my weight loss goal. I got my multigrain atta ready, made starchless rice for the week, and also got a promise frm Dh that he wud have my dhal ready when I come back from lab. My goal for this week is go to gym for 40 minutes at least 3 times and have omellette and dhal soup for dinners. One positive thing is that I know that following diet and gymming does make changes in my weight and appearance as I have already lost 4 kgs by following it last fall.
    Thank you so much dear, hope you had a nice weekend!
    Love n hugs
    Misha