1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed in making soap

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by anuram09, Jul 29, 2010.

1. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi ILs,

I want to make my own soap. Regarding the procedure to make soap I found a lot in internet. But I dont have clues where to buy lye (caustic soda):bonk. If somebody knows any chemical shops in your areas(in chennai) selling lye please let me know.:hiya

1 person likes this.

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Are you sure that you want to handle caustic soda? Though it looks innocuous it can be more hazardous than acid. It causes skin burns and worse.

Lots of accidents happened in early days of home soap making in the USA. Hot caustic can cause quite a bit of damage. It has to be avoided if toddlers are around.
    Here is a list of Chennai sources:
    Caustic Soda Flake Dealers in Besant Nagar Chennai - Justdial

(My first job was in producing caustic soda and also soap making in 1960)

Arunadhri

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info Arunadhri.
    I am aware of the characteristics of NaoH. Planning to do this in my terrace. Already I have safety gloves,goggles and a lengthy bamboo stick :)
    Planning to add the lye flakes to the water and again the lye solution to oil via the bamboo stick. Unknowingly people tend to pour liquids in the lye which causes accidents. Hope that soap will come out well.

1 person likes this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Please keep up posted on your progress on your soap making. I used to think about doing that but it got pushed to the back burner with other projects.

We have a LOT of local soap makers in my area. One very popular type is goats milk soap, also oatmeal and olive oil soaps. A company in the next town makes a brand called SoapRocks which are glycerine soaps made to look like precious rock samples. (This soap is a little harsh so I do not use it.)

In the colonial period here, the caustic soda was made from running water through wood ashes and you would get the lye water from that for use in making soap. They would make very very big kettles of soap outside on wood fires and so soap making was a chore done perhaps once a year (back then they didn't wash like now either bodies or clothes so God knows if it was once a decade! (joke) ). I think back then they mainly used fat from animals and that procedure also had its dangers. The quality of the soap produced could vary hugely and then you were stuck with awful or too strong soap for a long time which I think was why folks would prefer going for industrially made soaps. I think the home made soaps were mainly from areas that were very poor or remote and lacking access. Now I think most soap here is made from vegetable source oils.

1 person likes this.
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Anuram: If you can go to North Chennai, there is an entire street that deals with household chemicals. I buy baking soda for cleaning in the bulk from a shop in Rasappa Street off Evening Bazaar Road. There are gardening equipment and hardware shop on the street.
    Do let us know how the soap turned out. tks.

1 person likes this.
  6. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tikka and tashidelek2002,
    I have fixed this friday for the experiment :0). sure will post the outcome. Thanks for the replies

1 person likes this.
  7. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,
    Yesterday only I was able to procure NaoH. I tried soap making yesterday. I took oilve oil,castor oil and coconut oil for oil base. I prepared lye solution. I mixed both when the heat is somewhere 95 degrees F. I kept on mixing the mixture with my hand using a ss spatula. Once the trace started, I heated the mixture and poured in a plastic tray. Tomorrow I am going to make them into bars and will keep in cool place for curing upto 4 weeks. Thanks for the members who did reply to my post.

8. shilpapriya

shilpapriya New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    Can anybody please tell me how to prepare sopas at home.

What is the concentration and measurement for doing this.
    Besides also please tell me what precautions to be taken ( I have toddler running all around ).

Thanks
    Shilpa.

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Anuram:
    did you use any scent in your soap? If so...what did you choose?

BTW, I was taught by my grandmother when I was a kid that all soaps you buy you should unwrap if they are in airtight packaging and let them harden and age. In this way your soap will last much longer. I know that some soaps I have purchased in India were really soft and would have improved with this aging.

1 person likes this.
  10. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

I used lemongrass oil for fragrance.
    @shilpapriya : Please google for information about lye concentration and safety measures to be taken care while making soap.

I used the following link for calculating the ingredients and NaoH concentration.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/SoapCalc.html#OFFLINE

This is my first experience in soap making. I tried hot process soap making but did a mistake. I dint cooked the soap thoroughly:bonk. Because of that glycerin got separated and my soap lost some % of its moisturising quality. Right now the soap is half cured. I took a small flake while making cubes and rubbed with water. Soap is wonderful.:thumbsup

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    1 person likes this.