1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Suggestion For This?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SGBV, Sep 9, 2016.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Its been exactly 2 weeks since my MIL passed that nasty comment about me, though casually. Although it did not trigger any fights, it did sure break my heart.
    Although I knew her so well, and never expected any good remarks from her, my heart would have expected some acceptance since she is much much better in the past few years, and was mingling so well with us.
    She is our neighbor and closely connected to our family (kids) in so many ways.

I've posted this issue in a separate thread 2 weeks back. For the new readers, this is the thread: They Have Not Changed At All......

Since that incident, neither myself nor MIL made any attempt to contact each other despite living very close by.
    FIL would come daily and pick my DD to play at their place.
    DH goes there at least once after work. That's it.

Last week MIL underwent a cataract surgery. But they did not tell us anything about the surgery till 30 mins before they left for the hospital in another city. That too only to my H over the phone. He immediately took leave and joined them to the hospital. He spent almost full day with them (1/2day in hospital and at home).
    BIL and co-sis were there at hospital, and then came back to PILs home. BIL stayed there for 2 days by taking leave, then left. Co-sis is still staying with PILs, helping MIL. She doesn't have kids, and a house-wife.
    It seems BIL's family were already well informed about MIL's surgery, and it is BIL who suggested the hospital and doctor for MIL.
    And it seems they were aware of this surgery well in advance and even our neighbors knew it. But she did not bother to inform me or tell me at least before she left.
    It bothered me. So, I chose not to visit her even for a matter of courtesy after the surgery till now.

It has become a problem at PILs house, mainly for the BIL. He repeatedly told my H that he must do something to bring me there. My H suggested once but I told him the reason. And how I was hurt to hear MIL's non-acceptance on the other day. So, he understood me. I also told him that how they discriminated him against BIL's family on this matter. Though he lives in the same locality unlike BIL.
    Because my H always believes he is like a leader and his parents always consider him first. At least that's how PIL use to act before my H. All their drama is behind his back.
    So, I revealed at least this matter with evidence.

Now that, BIL doesn't allow co-sis to visit our home. She came the other day to take my DD to play. But it took a couple of mins for DD to get ready. BIL was shouting from the other end, and literally called back co-sis. That's the last day she came here.
    She is so naive and subservient kind of doormat wife.

In fact BIL is more cunning than PILs. He is highly insecure with our reunion (in the past few years) and specially PIL's love for my kids. Apparently MIL has promised my DD to give some of her jewels casually. Since then he wouldn't let MIL to carry my DD, and always say she is the reason for her joint pains.
    He has openly asked PILs to write off their family home and MIL's jewels to him, to which our other BIL said no objection (he is well settled in UK, and a very nice chap). There were no questions from us, as PILs have denied everything to us since beginning. We too said no problem, as we are very well settled here, and never expect anything from anyone.

Given the fact that he serves MIL like a queen these days, and makes his wife to be a slave to MIL to please them shows he is staging a drama.
    Cataract surgery is not something serious and physically draining. MIL is active and perfect, but he projects as if my H and I are careless about MIL, where as he and his wife takes good care. Which is true.

Although MIL spoke venom, it is really her honest statement about us. I feel thankful for knowing it. But I really don't want our families to stay like enemies despite living so closeby.

Shall I visit MIL for the sake of visiting since she has undergone cataract surgery?
    If so, it can wind up this cold war for now. Things will get back to normal.
    Of course my mom would keep a long face for a while, since she knew all these drama in detail. But it will give me some inner peace.
    I feel miserable these days as though I've done any crime. My foolishness.
    My H says never mind. But not sure what he actually thinks.

What do you suggest folks?

2. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

You feel miserable because inspite of everything you have an affection for the relationship. You also have a good heart. If you want to make up for the sake of harmony, and especially for your own peace of mind, then just do it.

Go with a small gift or dish you have made. Sit for an hour with her. Make small talk. Ignore any taunts or jibes. Smile pleasantly, compliment her sari/something, compliment your SIL if she is there. All very very light. A little formal. If there is tension just keep praying quietly. If anyone refers to what happened earlier, just say, "why talk about all that? It's over. It happens in families. Now is not the time. You rest. All is well." etc.
    Don't apologise, don't overdo, & mostly don't expect anything.

Stay for a very short while. And then, give it lots of time. You know what they are. So, just be the better person and be happy.
    Also, pamper your mum! :p Agree with her complaints, but do what you think is right.

Then at least, you will be relieved, knowing you have done the right thing. Sometimes, that's all we can do.

Take care. Take heart.
    images (80).jpg

Sparkle, periamma, SGBV and 3 others like this.
  3. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

@SGBV

Even i would suggest you to go and see her. Make a formal visit. Just get some fruits and visit her. Just talk about her health and leave.
    I know you are hurt that she didnot accept you. And she did not inform you both about surgery. Atleast you will be peaceful and you may not face any issues in future also.

SGBV likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Go with your husband and kids.Spend some time.Ask if you can help in any way .
    No need to bring up that incidence,no need to forget that incidence.

sindmani, Rihana and SGBV like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks dears... As far as I know them, there won't be any talks about the past issue, I am sure. If at all, I would go with my H only. So, she would be definitely sweet on our face. There would be so much easiness and lot of warmth.
    So, facing them is not my problem... The real problem is combating with my own ego and the hurt. I feel whether it is indeed necessary to bend down, and respect formalities with the people who didn't care any damn about my respect. Even if I do, it wouldn't be anything from the heart, but just an act - knowing they are also acting.
    I hate faking my self...

At the same time, I my heart says that I am doing something wrong, like planting for a long time hatred with this. So, I am indeed conflicting.

sindmani likes this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I fully appreciate the situation you are in. Your hurt is understandable and justifiable.

All the same given how things are now, the dignified and gracious thing to do would be to visit her. Just pay a courtesy call. Provide lip service - if only you'd told us before, we could've organised it such that we could have helped you. No need to talk about or discuss cold war - you've discussed it with your husband and that's what matters.

Ignore everyone or anything else. Take the high road. Even if it is manipulation, you will then hold the upper hand.

Tell your husband that hurt as you are about what happened, you wish to do the right thing by visiting his parents - not for him, not for them but because that's what you think is the right thing to do.

As for your mother, yes. I suppose she isn't going to agree. But she doesn't have to. Repeat the same thing to her. Tell her you are going to do what's humane as per your moral code. That you want to ensure you stick to the integrity you wish to pass on to your kids. The way you behave towards them isn't a reflection on them but a reflection on you. Since you know her true colours and are still going to do this, you are not being a fool. Far from it. You are beight the bigger person and that matters to you.

Then be at peace. Xx

APS45, charanya147, Manojs and 2 others like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....the fact that you are questioning means some part of you feels that you should visit...for whatever reason,that doesn't matter.

If you are not sure.....go because you should not regret later.Going makes you look like the bigger person and that is never a bad thing in relations like this.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    sindmani and SGBV like this.
  8. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

Then fake it for a bit n give it time. One day, something will settle.
    Go with your H, let him talk. You are there but not there.....you know?

SGBV likes this.
  9. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Short and formal visit with kids and h is enough.

Rihana likes this.
  10. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

I also advice you to go just for formal visit . I know its hard to even fake to ppl who doesn't respect you , but just count it as one more compromise out of so many we women have to do to make Marriage work. At least they cant say you didn't even come to visit when she went through surgery later.