1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Washing / Cleaning of Comforters

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sheeba, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

It's time to start using the comforters for the coming winter.

I wanted to know how to wash clean the comforters? I thought of washing them like the normal clothes in the washer/drier, but with the vertical tumbler in the centre of the washer not sure whether it will be able to rotate and wash the comforter due to the length.

Do let me know some tips on how to wash the comforter?

Thanks.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    You can try to wash the comforters in big washers(without the center rod) which can be found in Laundromat in strip malls etc.

3. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Thank you

Vidhyalaksmi,

I came back to the site after a long time!

I saw your suggestion for washing comforters, thank you.

I had actually enquired in one of the drycleaning shops and they told a price for drycleaning that was equal to a new comforter price [​IMG]

However, trying for big washing machines in mall should work. Let me check.

Regards,
    Sheeba

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

how to wash pillows?

Dear friends,

Though we use the pillow cover regularly to cover pillow, it is a must to clean pillows alone atleast once in a while unlike covers. But, how??

And, also, in my washer, the rubber sides(circular one) has these green stains(like paasi) and dont know how to remove it? Anyone has a solution??

Thanks in advance and Bye

5. Shakthi

Shakthi Senior IL'ite

Why do U want to wash?

Hi Ami,

I have never heard about washing pillows. They are made of cotton and washing them would soak and make the cotton worn out.

I would suggest you remove the pillow covers and just dry the pillows in sunlight, turning them both sides for few hours. Doing this may be once in a month, will remove any germs or smell.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

you are right, shakthi..stilll!!!

Hi shakthi,

Thanks for yr response. I too never did that, but, during winter, when the infections are coming more and more particularly to the kids, it just confuses me whether keeping the pillows in the sun for a few hrs is just more than enough as we use throughout the year??

Thanks, though for mentioning once in a month, sounds ok to me..

Friends, how abt my washer's green stains query?

Anticipating a reply and TIA.

7. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Try some bleach on it

Hi Ami,

You may want to try some washing bleach on the green stuff on your washers, provided it is not a colored part. You can also put some baking soda, leave it to soak for sometime and then try scrubbing slightly.

Did you put it without use for long? Or did you leave it moist and closed? Always make sure you open it for some time and leave it to dry after use.

Good luck!

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, rathi.

Will try with baking soda and yes, use to close as soon as the washing is done. It is becoz of saving energy as it has a small light inside.

Anyways, will keep open for sometime hereafter.

Thank you a bunch for the sincere suggestions!!!

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

washing pillows

Ami,

All these from a BBC programme Houses Behaving Badly.

I suppose u cld check the label on yr pillow to see if it is washable. If it is, then it is better to wash it once in 2 to 3 months. You can set washing machine temp to the label stipulations. If u can add 5 to 10 drops of eucalyptus oil to your soap for every pillow, it will kill bed bugs almost fully.

When drying in the tumble dryer, drop a couple of tennis balls into it with the pillow. This will restore the fluffiness back & don't worry, will not crash onto the glass.

in Norway, we wait till temp drops to zero and the leave the bed stuff out for 15 mts. It will freeze up a bit, but again kill all allergens and bugs. I do this every year, but that is following the herd.

For the paasi stains, try wiping with a paste of cream of tartar. This is useful for green stains caused by grass and paasi also being veg.origin, I guess it is worth a try.

Cheers
    Vidya

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Good ideas!!

Thank you vidya..here also, now the temperature is going very down and can try the second idea as it is very simple!!

Abt paasi, am just following rathi's method as dont have cream of tartar in my hand. Though, will implement if it does not work with soda.

Rgds.