1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time saving Tricks for indian Cooking

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Ruhi, May 11, 2009.

1. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

How you guys store the half chopped onion. Most of the time i require only half of the onion for cooking and I'm forced to store the remaining. i store it in a closed box or warp it in a cover and refrigerate it. As its not good to store the chopped onion, what you guys do in those situations.

2. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Buy smaller onions:)

I bought a vegetable cutter with 3 types of blades...it worked for onions, potatoes, tomatoes till now...cutting is really fast with this tool:)..ofcourse you still need to peel and probably cut into medium sized pieces before it goes into a cutter...

there are lot of cutters in the market...invest in a good one...the uniformed cutting also makes it easier to cook...

1 person likes this.
  3. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vibha is smaller onions available, i think its not :confused2:.

4. vijiananthu

vijiananthu Gold IL'ite

Hi All!

As far as I know and read, we can peel the onion and keep it. But we should not cut the onion and refrigerate. It will absorb all the bacterias and germs in the air and we should not use that...

5. mayuras

mayuras Bronze IL'ite

Hi, If you keep the onions in the fridge your eyes won't water when peeling and cutting. As far as storing cut onions, it is a big no no because 1. The fridge will start smelling 2. as vijianananthu said it will absorb th

6. mayuras

mayuras Bronze IL'ite

contd. it will absorb the germs and so it is not hygienic.

7. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

duplicate entry

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Never wash cut vegetables. Looses its nutrient value...always wash before cutting them.

9. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I need to pack lunch for my DD by 6.30 am in the morning and I leave the house by 8.00 am.
    1. Remove stalks from green chilies and store it in air tight container for 2 weeks.
    2. Make ginger garlic paste, mix few spoons of nalla ennai, make small balls of the paste and store it in air tight container in the freezer for upto 3-4 weeks. It is fresh and no change in aroma.
    3. peel garlic and keep it in the fridge for upto one week
    4. Boil dal previous night or soak it overnight to make sambar in the morning.
    5. Cut vegetables & onion, clean keerai (greens) previous night for cooking next morning. Sometimes even biol the vegetable and keep for next morning.
    6. Add little water with tamarind and microwave it 30-40 seconds. When it cools down make thick paste and keep it in the ridge for 3-4 days.

In the morning I getup at 5.15, first I boil milk, make tea. Make rice int he rice cooker. If dal and vegetable not boiled in the previous night boil them in the cooker.
    Otherwise start sambar or any kuzhamb in one burner and vegetable curry in the other burner. pack lnch for my DD and start preparation for breakfast. Whatever chutney I keep it for next day or for the night.All the cooking will be over by 7.00 kitchen cleaned. I have 10-5 minutes for reading news paper too.

Evenings are free for spending time on the net, reading and beading hobby.

10. vibha_81

vibha_81 Gold IL'ite

Try Shallots...they are from onion family but are pricey so it actually beats the purpose of buying onions in bulk...

i find that packaged onions are smaller than the onions available by pound...however i do not like buying things in packages as they mostly have one or two spoiled ones which will spoil the rest of the goods in the package...