1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. shaluu

shaluu Gold IL'ite

And all this time I was wondering why there are no Indians active in FlyLady forums :)

kkrish, manju, shanvy Thanks for an amazing thread!

I am currently working on the monthly habit "Make my bed"

2 people like this.
  2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Last three days have been very hot and couldn't do any serious stitching apart from doing routine cooking, cleaning, washing etc. Anyway it is just beginning.

Now the summer has started, I bought a small mud pot to full it with water. I neitherlike ice water nor it likes me. Instead of second cup of coffee or tea, I started making buttermilk, each day with different flavor like curry leaves, tender lemon leaves, with jeera powder, coriander etc,. My DH relishes. Started keeping a glass of buttermilk or rasna or tang for DD as her afternoon break drink.

Tomorrow night be busy as my MIL's nephew and his son are coming as he is going to write an entrance exam after 12th here in Chennai on Sunday. Also Sunday being Tamil New year will have some extra work tomorrow. Should buy vegetables and fruits to keep in front of God as Vishu kani. Sunday will be busy with cooking, pooja etc. Evening planning for a get together at my SIL's homealong with PILs as my DD's and SIL's DD's birthday falls next week. Planning to cook together at her home. My SIL's elder daughter who completed 12th is bit relaxed now and she has some preferences, offered to lend me a hand as my SIL is not much into non traditional cooking.

WISH YOU ALL A VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS GET FULFILLED WITH GOD'S BLESSINGS

BELATED WISHES FOR UGADHI. MAY YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD YEAR AHEAD

Regards
    Manjukps

2 people like this.
  3. doors

doors Gold IL'ite

@soundvijay

May his soul rest in peace. Yes, time is the healer and am sure god will give you all the strength to you and your mom to overcome the terrible loss.

4. shaluu

shaluu Gold IL'ite

Want to fold all the washed clothes and put one load to laundry. Let me see how it goes

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear sound,
    Hugs to you my dear. My prayers that He gives you and your family the strength to pull thru this difficult time.
    Time will lessen the pain, but until then stay strong for your mother.
    May his soul rest in peace.

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Belated Tamizh New Year, Ugadhi and Gudipadwa wishes to all!

I had a very productive weekend this time.
    On saturday:
    1. Took down all the curtains and cleaned the windows.
    2. Changed all bed and pillow covers.
    3. three loads of washing machine including curtains.
    4. organized all bookshelves and kids study tables.
    5. swept and mopped the floor.
    6. Did bathrooms.
    7. Organized the kids wardrobe and the dressing table.
    8. Finished a bag full of clothes that required mending using machine, still have some to be done by hand.

It was very tiring and it almost consumed my whole day, i did have a wonderful time with kids as they helped me with folding cloths and straightening their books. I also had long chats of phone with my parents as i was going about my work, so it didn't seem so strenous. of course my DH helped a lot with the cleaning process and also taking the kids out for class, taking out the trash for recycling.

Sunday, since it was new year, did a dry mop, wiped kitchen surface before starting cooking. we made vadai payasam, mango pachidi along with the normal cooking for puja. We had my bro's family for lunch and in the evening took my kids to paper cutting and baloon sculpting class organized by a comunity center. the kids had a good time and so did i. I have recently started the shiva's trilogy 2 by amish after finishing the first part. i really like both of them a lot :) have to get the third part before i complete this one!

2 people like this.
  7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

The weekend was good. On Saturday did elaborate cooking vendhaya kuzhambu with brinjal and green sundakai (I like it very much), rasam, yam masiyal, spinach. Usually I do this elaborate only when we all could have food together like in weekends. Other days since I have to keep in lunch boxes it will be mixed rice with any vegetables or any one chitrannam with a veggie / fried rice etc. Then, night also I do one veggie as side dish for chapathi most of the days.

Guests left to visit my PILs and SIL, had dinner there and came in the night. In the evening I went for veggie & fruits shopping bought flowers. Washed all the pooja items including lamp. Cleaned pooja room, Arranged fruits and veggies along with coins in front of mirror in the pooja room for vishu kani. Cleaned the kitchen before bed.

Next morning, Sunday, first thing we went to pooja room to see vishu kani. As guests had to leave around 7.30 made dosa for b/f for them and curd rice for their lunch as I had to cook for pooja after taking bath. Once again wiped the stove top before bath. After bath I did vendakai sambar, rasam and mango pachadi seasoned with neem flowers, cucumber curd kichadi, avial, urad vadai, paal payasam. After pooja had our brunch. After heavy meal when others dozed off for some time, I prepared the naan dough to take. Then left to PILs place to receive their blessings, then to SILs. There we had arrange for a get-together / party for my DD's and her DD's birthdays. There I did sweet corn soup, veg fried rice, aloo stuffed naan, paneer butter masala, curd rice. Had taken few specific necessary items like ajinomoto etc. Everybody enjoyed the dinner. My PILs had only naan with pickle as they wont take onion yesterday. Finished our dinner with ice-cream. My SIL's eldest DD was very happy, to see these items made at home. While returning around 9.30 visited my parents, back home by 10 pm.

Today I was much relaxed as I had some balance food of yesterday morning which I had kept in fridge. So just cooked rice only. Others left and I was just doing some experimentation in my blog. My cousin helps me a lot in that. Since I don't want to disturb her often I am trying to code those myself by following few examples and things she taught me. As today is my DD's DOB we had arranged for Sai bhajan at home. Did Charkarai pongal as prasaadam. Dinner was curd rice.

Hi Akila,

Too much of work for single day. Are you having some magical power or something? Please let me know the secret!!!

Since I am not working, I do all those washing and tidying in weekdays. My week point is folding clothes. I leave it to pile sometimes. Today before hitting bed I need to fold three loads of clothes while seeing the match. The heat also hampers. If I need my DH's help like doing cobweb cleaning, then will do it in the weekend. Now kids being grown up I insist them to clean their study shelf by themselves. For wardrobe I help them, but I involve them. Mostly my DS escapes in context of too much to study being in 12th now. I am much worried for him for his lack of organizing his things if he is to get into hostel next year. But also console myself, whatever I am doing, he would have observed, when he needs to face he will become more organized.

Regards
    Manjukps

4 people like this.
  8. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Hope all your new year celebrations went on well. DH was out of station but still made sakkarai pongal, ven pongal, urad dhal vadai, sambar etc. for kids. Went to temple in the evening

Kids have started going to school by bus and now i get full 4 hours for me to be alone. They are enjoying the bus ride. Since i had organised the wardrobe, getting ready in the morning is hassle free. One day my elder DD saw me keeping their stuff ready for next day like shoes, bags, uniforms all in one place, from next day she started doing it on her own.:thumbsup The floor use to be scattered with toys, crayons, books and papers, if i say, "pappa veedu azhagaave illa" (baby, house is not neat/beautiful), quickly she kept the toys and crayons and books in their respective places.:cheers Don't know how long this strategy will work.

Now more time is required to sit with kids for their homework, activities etc. As i plan before, no hassles as of now. (Thanks to this thread):)

@ manju mam, nice to read about your visit to madurai and meenakshi amman temple. Where do you get energy to do so much of work mam? Don't worry regarding your DS, whether he will manage or not. Once they are alone, they will handle and manage on their own. For us they are always kids, and protect them more. I need not tell you mam, you will be more matured than me. Yesterday was the first day for my kids to go by bus, i was so worried and tensed, but they were happy when they came back and more happy to go by bus today. We are only worrying too much

@prana thanks for those lovely photos of your house, in cities you can't see such house. Does your house has 'thinnai' outside where you can sit and enjoy the afternoon breeze. My grandma's place had it, they were also near your place.

@akila, proving to be a super woman, what is the magic gal? Good that you get time to read also. Same pinch, i have started to read the trilogy "The immortals of Meluha", very interesting, came to know from the other thread of Book Lovers.

@kamala mam, how is your health mam?

Hi to doors, anupama, abhigail, latha mam, shanvy mam, jeniflora

shara

4 people like this.
  9. SoundVijay

SoundVijay Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I am trying to be normal so concentrating more on work now a days. So got up at 5.45 and helped MIL in kitchen work. Loaded my clothes in W/M and dried them and cleaned the floor. Gave food to my DD and started to my office.

Yesterday night went home and prepared dinner for me and my DD. Gave her food. washed vessels and cleaned the sink and gas stove.

Hey all its good to see you all keping yourself busy throughout the day. Want to be back to my normal life. Hope you all would help me by your words :)

Regards,

Sound.

4 people like this.
  10. shaluu

shaluu Gold IL'ite

Have been completing breakfast preparation before 7 AM for the past two days. Want to make this consistent so that DH gets his breakfast before leaving for work