1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Mystical Diamond - [the Tanjore Empire - Series] - Chapter 3

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Oct 30, 2018.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Continued from The Tanjore Empire - Series - Chapter 2

CHAPTER 3​

Emperor Elangovathiarayan got to know that the Empire was under attack from all sides during his absence and the Palace was under siege. The kingdoms of Kalyani and Vatapi from Deccan Region had joined forces for control of the Tanjore Empire.

He immediately remembered about the Diamond the Maharishi had given him. He understood that the Maharishi had given it to him for a reason. He had to utilize it for his people. Meanwhile his army was defending their fort bravely and they were being led by two young men Krishnan Raman and Prince Mutharaiyar. Elangovathiarayan proceeded straight to the neighboring kingdom of Mysore whose King Veera Bhadra was his close ally. He had to assemble a fighting army to fight back the opponents from the Mysore border and lay claim to his fort.

He summoned his hundred and eight soldiers and his network of secret informers, carefully built by him and joined forces with Veera Bhadra’s small but effective Army and waged a fierce attack which repelled the Enemy in no time and restored the balance of power in the Empire. The people of the Empire once again hailed him as the descendant of the Lord Himself and there were celebrations all around the Empire.

The glory of Tanjore Empire was restored and the music season had commenced. Emperor Elangovathiarayan was being groomed and decked to oversee the celebrations. Elangovathiarayan noticed his barber carefully cutting off few strings of white hair. He was worried that he was getting older and needed to groom his Prince Mutharaiyar. Krishnan Raman and Mutharaiyar were childhood friends and they excelled in all types of combat training though Krishnan Raman was the blue eyed boy of Elangovathiarayan.

He wanted to pass on the baton to Mutharaiyar and was looking for an able bride for Mutharaiyar. Various Kings from different states and even kingdoms outside the continent were keen to give the hand of their daughter for Mutharaiyar. Elangovathiarayan chose Krishnan Raman to select the bride for Mutharaiyar. After much deliberations, Kundavai was chosen to marry from the neighboring state of Vengi. Elangovathiarayan also sought proposals for Krishnan Raman but Krishnan Raman chose not to marry and serve the Empire for his life time. He was not a man of great learning but was viewed as a young monk with great respect. Elangovathiarayan was touched by the dedication of Krishnan Raman.

"Look my dear boy, you have to marry for the sake of your father Airavata."

Elangovathiarayan exhorted Krishnan Raman as he talked to him privately

Krishnan Raman stuck to his stand of dedicating himself for the service of the Empire.

"If not now at least later I hope you change your stand. OK I have also called you for another reason."

"What is that about" asked Krishnan Raman

Elangovathiarayan talked to him that he intended to crown Mutharaiyar as the next Emperor and looking for dates.

"Wow that's great to hear."

Krishnan Raman was ecstatic

"And you will be the next Commander - in- Chief."

"Why me? There are so many able ones my Lord."

Krishnan Raman was hesitant.

"I chose you as you value my son's life more than yourself and also want to pass on a secret."

"What is that my Lord?"

Emperor Elangovathiarayan told him about his journey to Mount Kailas and the secrets of the Mystical Diamond."

Krishnan Raman became emotional as Elangovathiarayan kept telling him. He was touched that the Emperor kept so much faith in him.

He vowed that he won't reveal the secrets of the Mystical Diamond and pledged himself for the service of the Empire.

Elangovathiarayan had a lasting advice.

" The secrets of the Diamond must not be revealed unless it is in the interest of the Empire.

A vow broken is like a broken mirror. It cannot be pieced together again. "

Krishnan Raman vowed that he will keep the promise.

Meanwhile the entire Empire was jubilant with news of the Marriage of Prince Mutharaiyar. As the marriage celebrations were underway, Elangovathiarayan fell sick. He was under the care of his most treated Physicians but Elangovathiarayan felt that his time is over. He was content that the Empire was in safe hands. His son Mutharaiyar was very able and had a very good friend in Krishnan Raman.

Airavata was in tears. He stood close to Elangovathiarayan till he breathed his last. Krishnan Raman was touched by his father's bond with the Emperor. They were very much like brothers. He was happy to have a friend like Mutharaiyar who was very much like his younger brother. And now his younger brother was to be crowned as the Emperor of Tanjore. He felt sad that Elangovathiarayan could not be able to witness the crowning of his son. The coronation of Emperor Mutharaiyar took place with pomp and glory. He married Kundavai under the protective gaze of his friend Krishnan Raman amidst boisterous celebrations all around the Empire about the arrival of the new Emperor and Queen.

A year passed away for the newly wedded couple in bliss. Queen Kundavai was pregnant. Anticipating a son, Emperor Mutharaiyar was ecstatic.

“I want to gift my son the kingdom of Kalyani and Vatapi.”

Krishnan Raman understood. Mutharaiyar wanted to avenge the attacks made by Kalyani and Vatapi during his father’s journey to Mount Kailas. He concurred with Mutharaiyar.

Queen Kundavai was not so pleased.

“My Dear, we have to keep the legacy of your father the great Emperor Elangovathiarayan. We should use our Army only to defend our territory.”

Mutharaiyar was not convinced. “We must strike first at the heart of our enemies in such a way that they can never hit us back. What is the use spending on needless Art and Architecture. We must strengthen and expand our Empire instead of letting our enemies bleed our Army.”

Krishnan Raman agreed in unison. It was the beginning of the ruthless Era of Empire Mutharaiyar. Queen Kundavai let them have their way only on promise that they won’t take anything away from the beauty of Art and Architectural marvel of the Empire, so carefully built and nurtured by Emperor Elangovathiarayan in their quest for trade and conquest. The Emperor Mutharaiyar and his friend had other ideas.

To be continued...
    [The above story is purely a work of fiction and any resemblances to characters are purely coincidential]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

2. sureshmiyer

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Good one Sureshmiyer! I loved reading this chapter. Can't wait to know Mutharaiyar and Krishna Raman's plans to conquer the other kingdoms!

By the way, you can continue the story in the same thread, no? It would be easier for the readers to follow the story in one thread rather than reading each chapter in a separate thread...just a suggestion

4. sureshmiyer

Thanks Sofea. I am writing this as a series for a reason. The story is in writing. I had a rough draft. So I am fine tuning each chapter and releasing it one by one to see the response.

Sofea likes this.
  5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Okay sir! Please carry on! Positive response thus far from me!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. sureshmiyer

7. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

oh..wow..going good!

8. sureshmiyer

Thanks a lot

9. sureshmiyer

10. sureshmiyer