1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Tanjore Empire - Series - Chapter 2

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Oct 27, 2018.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

PROLOGUE

The Tanjore Empire was an important center of Culture, Art and Architecture under the caring eyes of the Great Emperor Late Elangovathiarayan who was viewed as the reincarnation of Lord Shiva. The Muthuraja clan controlled the fertile plans of the Kaveri Region and they were great devotees of Lord Shiva. The Emperors of Muthuraja Clan were hailed as the descendants of Lord Shiva Himself by the people. The Tanjore Palace located at the mouth of the Cauvery River was a majestic palace with vast labyrinthine buildings, enormous corridors, swanky and artistic halls, watch-towers, moat, fort and courtyards. A rare precious Diamond gifted to the Late Emperor Elangovathiarayan during his visit to Mount Kailas occupied the center of Palace and was the symbol of the Pride of the Empire. The entrance of the palace had a large quadrangular courtyard. There were big gateways to the northern and eastern walls.

The present Emperor Mutharaiyar wielded considerable power and respect all over South India and South-East Asia. Unlike his father Elangovathiarayan, Mutharaiyar did not like to rest on his laurels and was not much interested in Art and Architecture. He was keen to establish Tanjore Empire as an important center of trade owing to its vicinity to rivers and seas and extended his foreign trade and maritime activity to China and South East Asia. Yet the aura of the Great Emperor Elangovathiarayan was such that Art, Architecture and Culture continued to be the showpiece of the Tanjore Empire Mutharaiyar was an ambitious Emperor, who used his might to annex more kingdoms down South under his control. He let the kings ruling under his states to administer their subjects as long as they were submissive to the Empire. He married Kundavai when he was crowned as Emperor at his young age after the passing away of his father Elangovathiarayan. Kundavai looked after all the activities around the Palace and was viewed as Goddess by her subjects. They had a son Kulothunga, who was viewed as the beloved Prince of the Tanjore Empire by the people and was held with great respect. Emperor Mutharaiyar's childhood friend Krishnan Raman was appointed as the Commander-in-Chief by his father the Great Emperor Elangovathiarayan under the promise that he would act as the Guardian of the Empire and Royal family. Under the mighty military led by Krishnan Raman, Emperor Mutharaiyar strengthened and established his Empire further and almost the entire Southern part of India was under his control.

It was during this time, Emperor Mutharaiyar waged a fierce attack on the Sinhala Kingdom across the sea, which was ruled by Sinhala King Vikrama Raja Sinha as he wanted to extend his control across the seas too. Despite valiant defence of the Sinhala King Vikrama Raja Sinha, Emperor Mutharaiyar’s mighty army led by Krishnan Raman defeated the Sinhala King after an intense battle. The Sinhala King was forced to surrender and sign a peace treaty. Emperor Mutharaiyar was besotted with the beauty of Valli Mayil, the daughter of Vikrama Raja Sinha and asked for his daughter’s hand for marriage. Valli Mayil was a headstrong and tenacious woman. She agreed to marry the Emperor on the condition that he restore the full reigns of the Sinhala kingdom to her father Vikarama Raja Sinha, else she will sacrifice her life. Mutharaiyar was so smitten by the beauty of Valli Mayil that he was willing to do anything to attain her. Emperor Mutharaiyar handed over full control of the Sinhala kingdom back to Vikrama Raja Sinha and married Valli Mayil. He built a separate Palace for her which connected with the Palace of first Queen Kundavai. Kundavai was the most beloved Queen of the Tanjore Empire and the people of Tanjore did not like the arrival of Valli Mayil as the second Queen. Emperor Mutharaiyar had his way and Valli Mayil acquired equal prominence in all the Royal events and ceremonies. On the advice of Valli Mayil, Emperor Mutharaiyar toned down his ambitions of annexing more and more kingdoms under his control. He also started giving more autonomy to the kingdoms under his control on her advice. To the joy of the Emperor, Valli Mayil gave birth to twins. Mutharaiyar named one of them as Hiranya after the precious diamond and the other one was called Hiranmaya.

Kundavai took all these events with grace and never questioned Emperor Mutharaiyar. Her only worry was her son Kulothunga, who was a man of unruly habits and vices. He was addicted to wine and found pleasure in the company of women. She was very much worried for him as he was destined to be the heir to the glorious Empire of Tanjore. Emperor Mutharaiyar overlooked the habits of Kulothunga as he spent most of his time with Valli Mayil. It was during this time, the Diamond which was the symbol of the Pride of the Empire went missing. The Emperor Mutharaiyar could not get over the shock of the missing diamond and fell ill. His commander-in-chief Krishnan Raman assured him that he will find out the Diamond and ensure that those who did the act not go unpunished. However, Mutharaiyar was deeply concerned by the missing Diamond rather than his own health which was making his recovery and treatment difficult. The Empire was being run by Krishnan Raman on the advice of Queen Kundavai as Mutharaiyar was incapacitated. The other Queen Valli Mayil did not take kindly to Krishnan Raman being given prominence as he did not belong to the Royal family. She felt Hiranya should take over the Empire if Kulothunga was not ready to take over the reins of the Empire. Krishnan Raman felt sad over the growing dissensions between the Queens but apart from being a Guardian of the Empire on behalf of Emperor Mutharaiyar, he did not like to meddle and make matters worse within the family in the interest of the Empire. He was concerned more with the lost diamond and had to retrieve it soon, as that can only help restore the health of Emperor Mutharaiyar.

CHAPTER 2 -The Mystical Diamond

Krishnan Raman remembered the great Emperor Elangovathiarayan and repented that he broke the vow given by Emperor Elangovathiarayan that he was told to keep.

A broken vow is like a broken mirror. It can never be pieced together again. Krishnan Raman remembered the glory of those days when his father Airavata was the most trusted Advisor to the Emperor and the main Architect behind the Art and cultural splendor of the Empire. Airavata was a devotee of Lord Vishnu. Buddhist monk Bankei who travelled from Sumatra to the Tanjore Empire has chronicled the glory of the Empire under Emperor Elangovathiarayan in such a way that even the Gossip among the local people related to the Art and Sculpture or devotion to Lord and the same used to be rendered by their Court poet Bhalanetra. Krishnan Raman was not much interested in Architecture and spirituality despite persistent efforts of his father. He was more interested in martial arts, riding horses and sword fight. He was often seen playing with young Mutharaiyar. His father was disconcerted with his son’s lack of interest in their family profession. When Emperor Elangovathiarayan came to know about this, he called Airavata.

"Krishnan Raman is such a good natured boy. You should be proud of him."

"You are magnanimous in praising my son, O Lord. I am worried about his future."

"He is destined for bigger things. He will lead the Empire in a big way"

"How can he? He does not belong to any royal blood"

"We are all Lord Shiva's children. It is due to the Lord's will that I have the opportunity to serve this lovely Empire and my people. Krishnan Raman is a courageous young man. Didn't you see how courageously he stopped a wild boar from attacking my son. Krishnan Raman and Mutharaiyar will learn the art of warfare and governing together. "

Airavata was in tears. Where was the need to worship the Lord when he can worship Elangovathiarayan in flesh and blood. Elangovathiarayan was like a pure flame of fire. You can light a thousand lamps from that flame of fire but nothing can diminish its radiance and bliss. The bond between Airavata and Elangovathiarayan ensured the glory and culture of the Tanjore Empire. Unlike them Krishnan Raman and prince Mutharaiyar aimed to extend the Tanjore Empire and stamp its authority across the world.

At the peak of his powers, Elangovathiarayan thought of visiting Mount Kailas the abode of Lord Shiva. He embarked upon a year long journey to Mount Kailash, the abode of Lord Shiva with a hundred and eight trusted soldiers on horseback. Nine of his trusted soldiers accompanied him on the way up to Mount Kailas while the rest were stationed at the base camp till they return. They kept disguised themselves as servants to him who kept himself dressed like a wealthy trader and called himself Elango. He spent few days in a Ashram serving Maharishi Sivananda Yogi.

As a part of his daily routine, he sang the song on Lord Shiva rendered by Appar Tirunavukkarasar, noted Tamil Sava Saint poet which was usually sung by his court poet Bhalanetra.

"Why bathe in the river of Kaveri

Why seek the waters of the sounding sea

Why chant the Vedas, hear the Shastras' lore

Why roam the jungle, wander cities through

Why climb the mountains, doing penance harsh

Enlightenment is theirs, and theirs alone

Who call at every place

Upon the Lord of all

Om Namah Shivaya"

He was an Emperor, certainly not a poet or singer so skipped many lines as he sang but his heart was pure with devotion.

The Maharishi was touched by his devotion to Lord Shiva. After spending few weeks, Elango asked for his permission to make his way back home, the Yogi smiled and said.

"I am touched by your devotion towards Lord Shiva. You belong to a royal clan. Who are you?"

Elangovathiarayan realized that the Maharishi recognized him.

"Forgive me Master. I am the Emperor of Tanjore."

Maharishi spoke very little. There was an eternal smile in his face and his whole body radiated with bliss.

Elangovathiarayan hesitated a little as he paused to ask

"I came all the way from South to the Mount Kailas but couldn't see Lord Shiva. Can I ever see the Lord."

Maharishi smiled.

"Don't worry. You may not have been able to see the Lord but the Lord has seen you."

He handed over a Diamond to the Emperor.

"What is this Master"

"This will give more power to you. It was granted to me by Mahavatar Babaji after my yearlong penance for Lord Shiva."

"Mahavatar Babaji?"

"He is the eternal yogi and beyond age and time. Very few can see him or receive his blessings."

The Emperor looked quizzically at the Diamond.

The Maharishi smiled at his reaction

"This may be a small ornament for your wealthy Empire. It holds a secret"

Elangovathiarayan folded his hands in utmost devotion and asked the Maharishi about the secret.

"This Diamond gives power to the one who is in possession of it with the knowledge of the secret it holds."

"What kind of power Master?"

"One who knows its secrets and owns it can never be defeated in his mission. No one can steal it unless he knows its secrets. If not properly used, it can be self-destructive. It does not bestow immortality. The Lord knows all. Everything happens by his design and will. Mahavatar Babaji chose me. You were destined to meet me and receive this Diamond. "

Elangovathiarayan was pleased with the boon he got from the Maharishi.

The Maharishi blessed him and said, “Everyone is bound by their actions. The secrets of this Diamond is God given and can only be shared in the interest of the people.”

As he proceeded back to the base camp to accompany the rest of the soldiers stationed there he was amused to see his network of informers awaiting his return. They were in with some bad news.

[The above story is purely a work of fiction and any resemblances to characters are purely coincidential]

Ramya2912, Sofea, peddadas and 3 others like this.

2. sureshmiyer

Do read my story series and give feedback

Sofea likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Got a private message from this author to go and read this effort. So I came.
    Hard slog of a read. Not my cup of tea.

If chapters were short, crisp, and have a hook for the next episode, people might come.
    Title is also too provincial ( I went to elementary school in Tanjavur) and plainly suggests that it could be history -- that could ward off many.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. sureshmiyer

Thanks Deepika for liking this story

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@sureshmiyer
    Got your message and I think after studying History for a long time people become averse to History and Historical stories. People are interested in day today incidents and like to read short snippets. Thi is my personal opinion. Please bear with me.
    PS

6. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Story was well narrated. Initially i thought that the story was from historical book after reading your comment that its your own story am very much interested on this. Pls do continue

7. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for giving us a story @sureshmiyer .

I like mythological stories too, not all people from Royal family are Royal by heart, looks like Elangovathiarayan is one among few.

What is the bad news that King has to listen ? :confundio1::confundio1:

--PS

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Stumbled upon this story by chance! What a gem of a story! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: You brought me back to my Ponniyin Selvan reading days with your narrative on the royal family and secrets. Wonderful narration. The first few paragraphs was a little dry as the writing was more in the line of a historical narrative but in the later half, the story suddenly gained momentum and came back alive! Very vibrant and intriguing.

Please do continue the story Sureshmiyer! Can't wait to read more of this!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. sureshmiyer

Thanks, will notify when i post the next part

10. sureshmiyer

Thanks a lot Sofea, writing the third part. Will post it soon :)