1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tathastu (may Thy Wish Be Fulfilled)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 1, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala,
    Nice to read your snippet about Kaliyuga. If you honestly ask me I would say again that all these yugas live side by side alternating at times. It's like hell and heaven on earth itself. It's like good and bad being the two sides of the same coin. There is Ravana and Ram and Kansa and Krishna in me. Sometimes one prevails over the other, other times both remain neutral. While it is a good idea to see the positive side of the coin all the time but unfortunately it is the negative side that keeps haunting all the time. We are used to crying over our misfortunes over and over. We don't do the same when for the happy moments of life. We go and bow before the lord asking for help in bad times but do not thank Him for good times. This is the practical side of day to day life.
    The teacher was talking something about Kayamat (annihilation) will come in x number of years. The back bencher could not listen properly and so asked after how many years Sir? The teacher replied after 5 million years to which the student replied okay, that's fine with me. It's consoling to know about one year of Brahma but for humans one year has a definite span and they do not have many such years in their quota for life.
    It's necessary to set things right in this life only. It's necessary to understand the true meaning of those three instructions about flourishing, nourishing and sharing in this life only.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:LOL. YOUR ABOVE quoted message received at IST 6.30.AM. If you had responded from India’s Capitol, it is really great as u could think In terms of humour so early in the morning. you must be an early bird.Thanks and Regards. :clap2::grinning-smiley-048::beer-toast1:
    GodBless Us All.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for the second interference.

The word thathaasthu reminds me of my grandma who respected by one and all in the village.She was out to help anyone and she was an expert in conducting safe deliveries to women, when there were no medical centres or hospitals in villages.
    Though she was widowed at when she was just 26, with 5 children, she was considered the most auspicious woman in the village.Even in the remote hut, the newly married
    couple waited to do propitiations to her first and get her blessings.

please listen to how she blessed in Tamil !
    1.Thaali peruga!( Let you mangal sutra get cut!)
    2.Pottu azhiya!( let your kunkum Tilak get erased!)
    3.Poo uthira!( Let the flowers that adorn you hair get scattered and fall down)

Every body belonging to Hindu religion knows how inauspicious these words are and these are being rituals while the husband dies.
    But why the villagers were longing to hear these inauspicious remarks from the grand old lady of the village?
    As per the grandma's own word

1.The first blessing means that the girl would give birth to a healthy child.When the baby sucks his/her mother with all happiness and enthusiasm, the baby would get hold of the thali thread in its hands,( many mothers would have experienced this).When the baby pulls the thread ,it may get cut off.This is not inauspicious,but is indicative of early motherhood, the health of the baby.

2.When the baby is seven or eight months old, it gets attracted with the big tilakam on its mother's forehead,tries to bring the tilakam in its hold and in the process the tilak gets erased.This again is indicative of the intellectual normal growth of the baby.Now a days it is even easier for the baby to remove the sticker tilak ,hold it for a while and keep it in whichever place it desires.

3.Refers to the next stage.When the child becomes a toddler,it goes round and round the mother, pulls the flowers in her hair as a play and the big strand of flowers gets loosened making the entire area filled with flowers.The mother becomes happy and hugs the child.
    People who who had realised and experienced the real meaning of the inauspicious expressions would throng our house every now and then,touch her feet and happily return with these three blessings.This continued for nearly 50 years and proved to be a real blessing.
    Now tell me,if Aswini Devathas too interpreted her words correctly and said'Thathaasthu!

Jayasala 42

4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank You. First passage read like a dirge but the second 1,2 &3 marked paragraphs reveals what was hidden in those lines. I guess those lines uttered by your grandma not intoning dirge but in some lullaby raga like Dhanyasi (express ecstatic) or neelambari (sleep inducing).
    2. I wonder how at your age these decades old scenes could be rewound and replayed. you are memory is green.
    touchwood.
    Regards. God Bless Us All.

5. HariLakhera

Dear Thyagarajan,
    I am some 10000 miles away from the Capital. In the USA. That's why the it looks that way. My time with Internet is in the evenings here which is as you know mornings there. In Delhi I do get up at 6 in the morning but as far as internet is concerned, it's only evening times. Thanks for your observation.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Jayasala,
    Something new but very convincing as usual. People trusted Grandma and their trust was based on experience of the many villages she blessed. We come back to the the same truth called faith. I am just wondering how the first listener of these three blessings would have reacted. May grandma be happy where ever she is. She has many many grand children obliged to her .

7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you.