1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Starving Versus Dieting?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

During a recent family get together, the topic went to weight loss..one aunty was saying she eats little oats porridge for breakfast, 1-2 chapattis with dal for lunch and one roti with sabji for dinner..just one cup tea in between..one more relative of my age group said that she just eats a little oats or muesli for breakfast either with milk or yoghurt and little fruits or dry fruits..and lunch and dinner are just soups and salads with yoghurt..and one or two cups tea I.e one morning and one in evening without sugar and low fat milk...this relative has a very enviable figure..
    I was wondering how these people are able to survive with so less food intake, don't they feel hungry in between? I did consult a dietician for weight loss and the diet plan she gave me included a lot more calories than this..
    If I try reducing my food intake beyond a certain limit, I get acidity and I also feel weak and dizzy and I get headaches..
    Maybe a more practical idea is to have more smaller meals at shorter intervals through out the day? I.e once in 2 hours?
    Pls give suggestions for healthy snacks to avoid hunger pangs in between meals..
    And pls provide me some good online links, either IL or outside IL for sample diet plans for weight loss..I would like to go through and follow whichever is best for my daily routine and food habits.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

FYi. I eat only vegetarian food..

3. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Your BMI tells you basically the calorie intake. Eating less calories is not a great way to loose weight. If you eat right , your metabolism is better. You don't feel sick while you are loosing. You can have consistency as well. How long can one eat like your aunts and survive?

Start you day with good amount of water. Eat a healthy breakfast . Eat a fruit Mid morning. Noon start your lunch with a bowl of salad. Then have some rice and veggie of your choice.( Keep a watch on oil). Evening you could try sprouts/Makhana/ whole wheat crackers/soups of your choice..... Dinner can be boiled sprouts, sambar, mung dosa,Mixed veggie and salads so on...

Along with this you can try a lot of detox waters which is very good to keep you hydrated throughout the day ( Add diced apple and cinnamon sticks in hot water , sip it throughout the day ... You will have many more options .. It will serve as flavoured drink instead of plain water ) .
    If possible eat your dinner 4 hours before going to bed. I lost a lot of weight following this and I still easily continue this diet plan. Any sort of yoga/exercising/walking for an hour at least helps.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Does your aunt seem “hangry” all the time ? I wouldn’t be surprised.
    I don’t snack because of my work schedule but have a decent breakfast , early lunch and dinner as soon as I get home and one fruit and milk 2-3 hrs before I go to bed. I have rice once a week or even less but mostly have dalia upma, dalia puliyogare , oatmeal with fruits , chapati,paratha, wheat pasta , dalia dosa. Even my idli’s are made with dalia ( very little rice rava ) . No butter/ ghee ever. Everything is loaded with vegetables ( carrots, beans , spinach are a big fav). But the point is I have decent sized healthy meals followed by a fruit right after. That keeps me satiated and works well for my schedule and health .

For snacking option i have seen others eat fruits , carrot sticks, cucumbers , wheat crackers. Don’t over do nuts ( 11 almonds a day max), they cause weight gain.
    Agree with Archana , check your required caloric intake and plan accordingly. And yes some physical activity , even if it’s a walk is a must.

Good luck !

Thyagarajan, salad, shravs3 and 2 others like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Resistance training
    Cardio
    Have nutrient dense food
    Do a calorie deficit
    Healthy fats
    Complex carbs
    High protein
    Water
    No processed foods
    Eight percent diet and 20 percent exercise

Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.
  6. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

Every 'body' has its own lifestyle with respect to eating habits. Diet doesnt work permanently unless one makes its their habit,atleast for me. I eat less in quantity but pretty good in quality- become a mermaid when it comes to drinking water-also intake a lot of fluids. I use stairs and play badminton. I really dont rely on labels/calories rather portion control in whatever I eat. I would say I'm fit. So far so good!

7. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi all
    First I will like to share what I feel
    Starving s consuming very less calories beyond the minimal required range so nutritional deficit diet.this type of diet will make u loose weight and it will not stay longer.once u try to consume your regular pattern all the weight will come back.
    This starving s unhealthy bcos we don't give essential nutiemnut which our body needs.it may lead to health issue in future like iron and calcium deficiency etc
    Dieting means consuming balanced nutritional food and creating calirca deficit.iif you consume 1200 calories you have to burn 1500 cal(300calories is deficit perday so after 10 days you will reduce 1kg of weight) in this diet consuming little amount of food but throughout the day.taking 3 main meals and 2 snacks along with milk etc.this will reduce the fat and not the muscle mass.so the lost weight will not come back once you try to increase the calories after your desired goal.you will go to Maintenance phase.
    In general there s no end day for you to diet,it's a life style change.try to maintain healthy diet through out your life.this is the idle way to maintain weight under control

Needtobestrong and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Oh my God! I am going to be the first male person to respond to this weighty yet mighty problem (especially for eves!).
    2. Irrespective of the gender and age, the best course to follow for maintaining current figure is to have king size breakfast, Prince or princess like lunch and pauper like supper!
    3. Weekly once one should have only fruits with less sugar content.
    4. Strict No No to siesta or afternoon nap.
    5. Begin every morning drinking in instalments or in suitable intervals only lukewarm water. All liquids stop clear two hour before going to bed.
    Simple cost effective easy to follow easy to remember to be at ease with every activity.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God grant good metabolism for those who exercise at every 24 hours at same time no dancing to music mindfulness suggested.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Needtobestrong likes this.
  9. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

For snacks - carrots almonds cucumbers, raisins, tomatoes, coconut pieces/ instead of fried snacks.
    For dinner - bowl of dhal, fruits and vegetables. And a cup of milk. By 8pm.
    Rest of the day time - try to avoid short fried munches and u can have meals as usual. Drink lots of water and walk for half an hour a day. Hope this balances out. I cannot survive more than this plan.

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame