1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationship Hijack And Banter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:smirk::p
    I posted to that greedy MIL thread something similar before seeing this !!

This happens a lot to NRI's.

But the NRI's must remember what a grim lot:anguished: it is to be here with all the pesky problems of life, and relatives. Some far away golden goose* is laying eggs for us, and it is a thing to protect, sustain and occasionally even brag about.

*GOOSE or GEESE - "A foolish or ignorant person is called a goose because of the alleged stupidity of this bird." "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition).​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did read your post there and thought you copied the thought. Wondered why you'd do that. Then, put it down to your innate queerness. So, you posted before seeing this. Good. Good girl. Though I have to ask, 'are you this coffee-perky all day long?' It's sometimes fatiguing to read your mostly effervescent responses.

With time, comes age, and with age, comes wisdom. Did you know today is Sigourney Weaver's birthday. I like this quote by her:
    "When you're young, there's so much that you can't take in. It's pouring over you like a waterfall. When you're older, it's less intense, but you're able to reach out and drink it. I love being older."

Good one, no? Here's a pop-quiz-question for you. Who observed thus:
    "Each person has something he can do easily and can't imagine why everybody else has so much trouble doing it."

You have heard of the person.

Amulet likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Coffee-perky all day long? No dearie... we just have a big time zone difference. When you are ready to put your head down for the night, and browsing the forum on your i-thing, and saying to yourself "good god.. how can they?" when you look at my banter with @Ouroboros, I am just having my freshly roasted, just-ground, thick first decoction degree coffee. And I do sound coffee-perky. And then I have only the routine scheme to get the cohabitante off to work, listen to some music, walk on the treadmill, and have a wonderful day with nothing on the critical path of any project.

Yes. Weaver was wright. It is OK to be older; but better to be young. When you get old, it is good not to get to a point where you had to lament: "youth is wasted on the young".

Is that quote "Each person has something he can do easily and can't imagine why everybody else has so much trouble doing it." from Slaughter House Five ? Another Indiana author I like is Booth Tarkington. His novel Penrod (about a boy named Penrod) should'a been as famous as Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn, but somehow there'd been a marketing mishap, and that novel is not all that well known.

You, Poovai, and I all have real estate non-resident "ownership" stories. After you've heard enough of those stories, you'd just figure it is one more of those investment-gone-awry things, and move on. You can not stress the heart too much in old age.

I want you to be young and carry on.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Just carry on? No reaching off-scale happiness?

Amulet likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Finally, every poster on the forum seems to have come to a consensus!

We can all agree that DH's are not great driving tutors. We all seem to be wanting to disown ours by the time we got our own car. Buy your own car, abandon your hubs!!!!

If somebody comes and says mine encouraged me to drive and calls me WW you are going to get pounded by the rest of us.

Rihana and Amulet like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:smilecat: People abandon their hubcaps... not their hubs.

A hubcap, wheel cover or wheel trim is a decorative disk on an automobile wheel that covers at least a central portion of the wheel, called the hub. An automobile hubcap is used to cover the wheel hub and the wheel fasteners to reduce the accumulation of dirt and moisture.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

For you, I can send some chashmé baddoor stickers for the cheek
    Chashm-e-Baddoor (Persian, Urdu: چشمِ بد دور, Hindi: चश्म-ए-बददूर ) is a slogan extensively used in Iran, North India and Pakistan to ward-off the evil eye (which is called nazar in the region). It is a Persian language derivation which literally means "far be the evil eye."[1]

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

^^^ Thank you but black-dot nakko. Keep it. Have had the luxury since childhood to express disdain for consolation prizes. Started when I was awarded a Wren & Martin as a consolation prize in an elocution contest. W&M is a tiny bit like a desi Strunk & White.

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

^^^I am sure there are threads about how miscomprehensions, misconstructions, and other mis-es within a family escalate high enough into everybody declaring "you're dead to me" and going off to their corners.

Eventually after everybody gets a break/breather they can play it all back, and chuckle to themselves.

Why isn't someone asking for such stories in a thread, stories where everything is quite ordinary, life is placid, and suddenly there is a big problem, all manner of words and phrases get tossed out*, and there is all around heartache and misery. Eventually all is vell, and the situation gets much better than it was ever before. This was called a "Man in Hole" story. I like such stories.

*Wren & Martin might teach what words to toss where, how and when. A critical book, when used right, could lead to that off-scale happiness.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. Rihana

I watched that Kurt Vonnegut video in your Never Mind thread. Nice. He is funny! Sad that he faced so much pain in real life.

Talking of miscomprehensions, misconstructions and other mis-es, I received a most delightful offline communication cautioning me that our dash of Amul is quite likely a ram in ewe's merino wool, and I am to not get too chummy. I thanked the shubh-chintak and assured him/her that I am no Sigourney Weaver but old enough to reach out and drink it safely.

Am touched when people take the time to send such alerts. Another sweet member sent me a link to the dangers of using copper mugs for drinks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.