1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Quick fix yet healthy recipes and tips for working Moms

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Laks09, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,
    I had a busy morning today and didn't find my usual hour to cook. As I ate lunch I remembered those busy days dropping kids, driving to work, putting in an entire day, getting back with kids and then beginning the evening rush of cooking/dishes etc. I sometimes ate just oatmeal at night being ultra tired to even find something to cook and eat. Over the next few years, I found ways to minimize my workload in the evening. I'm sure all of you have such handy tips. Lets share that here for the benefit to each other.

Some stuff I can think of -
    1) when ever you find time, cook dals, cool and store them in ziploc freezer quart bags, in single use servings. I used to cook a batch OT tur dal( for those yellow dal only days) and one of mixed dals. Channa and rajma can be cooked and frozen too. Anytime you need a quick subzi, cook spinach/broccoli/squash/frozen veggies of any kind on a pot with Haldi/salt/chilli powder. As you coom the veggies, get the dal out of the freezer and thaw it in the microwave or under running water. I did under running water and added the dal to the veggies half thawed. It will cook in no time. I just season this and one subzi is ready. I also love unseasoned dals so I would eat it without tadka.
    2) cook quinoa over the weekends. I make mine in the rice cooker(1:2). Wash it well before putting it in the cooker. This keeps well in the fridge for a week(I've kept it longer too). Quinoa can be eaten as is with subzis or make it into a salad - 1/3 cup cooked quinoa, some salad mixes, some boiled channa/rajma, some feta cheese, 1/2 tsp olive oil, 2-4tsp vinegar, pinch of Italian seasoning and some black pepper powder if required. This salad along with some fruits is a complete meal.
    3) keep bags of spinach, broccoli slaw, stir fry veggies etc handy. In a rush, use a mix of these veggies, along with peppers/beans/peas etc to make a quick stir fry. Just add it to a pan(or microwave first) with very little water, salt and chilli/pepper powder and keep it covered for a few mins. It takes 5-10 mins to cook. If you over cook or use too much water it will become a mush so add about 1-2 tbsps of water. Once cooked top with 1/2 tsp olive oil and stir fry it for a minute or two. I also add garlic powder and onion flakes to this. You can add garam masala/ jeera powder/ Italian seasoning etc to this. I sometimes make it Chinese by adding soy sauce/chilli sauce with water. Frozen bagged stir fry veggies are ideal for these stir fry. Just don't add any water.
    4) I used to make aata into roti dough and refrigerate. I would get the required quantity out and thaw it for 30-40 mins before using.
    5) Make an easy minestrone. This sits in the fridge for a week. Good with salads. I cook whole masoor dal, tur dal, moong etc with 2-3 cups frozen mixed veggies, broccoli, celery, spinach, carrots etc in a cooker. You cooked add barley or other grains, I even add whole wheat elbow ronis to this while cooking. Add salt/Italian seasoning/ fresh herbs and cook in the pressure cooker for 2 -3 whistles. This is your base. If you like your soup without the veggies, blend it. I like to eat mine as minestrone itself. Before eating this can be seasoned with garlic/jeera etc roasted in olive oil. I eat mine without seasoning so I add garlic powder while cooking the soup. Can add croutons to this.

I'll add to this thread later. I'm hoping others will pitch in with their ideas as well.

Cantdecide, simpleMom and Rakhii like this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

awesome tips laks! Love the ministrone soup idea. I always buy it outside and somehow never really thought about making it at home.

I can add one:
    wild rice with MTR pulihodharai powder tastes great. Several dinners were made using these with some steamed veggies on side.

2 people like this.