1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post Weight Loss - Lessons Learned and Staying on Course

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Gauri03

A big bear hug to you!!! please hang in there THIS TOO SHALL PASS...

I have been in your shoes when my DH started traveling job around the same time last year and was so overwhelmed as I was handicapped without his help on weekdays, with 2 kids(8 and 1.5yrs old), full-time job, i got so much tired and used to be cranky all the time and didnt get time to cook something healthy and with so much of added guilt, I was just tired both physically and mentally. Went through a lot of blog posts for time management both in IL and online, collected many tips and implemented which suited us.

The first is the meal prep, I spend saturday afternoon to shop groceries in costco/indian store as per our menu for the following week, and used to spend almonst 7hrs just for cooking and packing our lunches and curries for dinner with parallel laundry and folding the clothes. I took help from Dh and my elder one in the process and that helped to feel less guilty on weekdays, we used to return home in the evening for clean home, stocked folded clothes, healthy meals in the refrigerator all 5 days. I am so glad that I started doing this.

I took advantage of my appliances like IP, Ultra grinder, KA, india pressure cooker and cusinart food processor. I always feel like I am doing marathon on sunday in the kitchen but it is great help for me during weeknights and also I am getting time to include 45mins of workout everyday after 1.5hrs commute.

hope this helps

Thanks
    Sravani.

Rihana, mangaii, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I just realized that posting this today would be better. If the recipe appeals to anyone, they can buy the ingredients on the way home tonight or the weekend.

Here are the pasta that I have begun using.
    20180209_105648-800x610.jpg

This aimed at less prep work.
    Ingredients:
    Pasta -1 cup
    Onion - 1 finely chopped
    Garlic - 1-2 tsp finely chopped (optional) Can use bottled garlic.
    Frozen veggies - Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, peas, carrots, spinach .
    (Can omit any veggies. Fresh veggies are good too)
    Salsa- Any variety - 2 cups
    Shredded cheese - cheddar mozarella blend - 1-2 cup
    Salt to taste.
    Oil - 1 tablespoon.
    Method
    1. Bring water to a rolling boil. Add pasta.
    2. while pasta is cooking. heat pan, add oil.
    3. Saute onions till translucent, garlic for a few seconds.
    4. Add the vegetables, one by one. you can use as much or as little veggies as you want.
    Saute them till they are partially cooked.
    Add just a little salt. Remember there is salt in salsa,and cheese.
    5. Cook pasta, al dente, strain.
    6. Preheat oven to 325 deg.F.
    7. In a baking pan, spray cooking spray.
    8. Spread the pasta, then spread the veggies, spread a cup of cheese, then spread the salsa.
    9. Spread the second cup of cheese over this.
    10. Bake for 30 minutes.

Make adjustments to cheese and salsa depending on your taste.
    Zuchini, bell peppers, Squash - are other veggies that can be added too.
    To increase protein - tofu, paneer can be added.

That takes care of one meal.
    This is my Indianized variation.
    For this omit salsa.
    In addition to other ingredients get canned navy beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans.
    Use a half cup of each or a cup of any one or two.
    Cook the pasta a little longer than al dente.

In the pan after sauteing the veggies, add the canned beans, then add chilli powder, turmeric powder, and then add the cooked pasta. Add salt to taste.
    Fold and saute the mixture for a couple of minutes. Add chopped cilantro.
    Sprinkle the cheese, switch off the stove, and cover the pan.
    Leave for some minutes for the dish to "settle" and cheese to melt.

No need to bake in oven.
    Tip. you can cook pasta in one batch and freeze one half for later use.

Hope this helps some.

3. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish: I tried Banza elbows. But was not too crazy. May be I should try thr Indianized vesrion. I like your first recipe too. But that is when boys come home. We have cut down salt in our diet. So not in aposition to add that much cheese though I love cheese.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the feedback @ChandrikaV
    This product review is helpful.
    I did find the taste different, can call it weird even, when I tasted it plain.
    However, that is to be expected when the ingredients are different.
    When eaten with the medley of vegetables, sauce, and cheese, I did not find it any different from the regular pasta.

My family did not even know the pasta was different. I have not told them yet :)

Sure, try it when your young ones are home.

ChandrikaV likes this.
  5. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks fo rthe quick response @kkrish. I will give it a try. I have not seen the green lentil pata. Let me look for it.

kkrish likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks JAM. I do have the rotimatic and it has become indispensable in my household. We eat rotis everyday and I haven't made rotis since last March. Agree about the rotis not being like the handmade ones but in my current state it is an enormous convenience. Can't imagine how I made rotis nearly every day before that! The cut veggies idea has been echoed by others and I think I definitely need to embrace that.

7. Gauri03

Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply @mangaii . I love the snack ideas. I have tried apples with salad dressing but not peanut butter. Definitely going to try that. I made a trip to TJ's and Costco this weekend and picked up a few frozen vegetable blends and the frozen berries for smoothies. Going to try veggie fried rice or stir frys to tide over this week. Also found individual hummus packs at Costco. Hopefully paired with some crackers it takes care of my kids' snacks.

About the airfried tofu, how do you prep it and how long do you cook? Temperature? I tried to airfry paneer and I never could get it crispy. It wasn't terrible but turned slightly chewy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. Gauri03

Oh I'd love to see some menus. Often I know what needs to be done but in moments of stress the mind just goes blank. Then it is pick up the phone and order something. I realize meal planning is the only way out from this predicament. I used to do it fairly regularly but thanks to the holidays, then flu, I have been playing catch up with everything for a while, and food is the first thing to suffer. Thanks for the tips. I did make a menu and buy the essentials. Didn't get much prep done but I will work on it one day at a time. One pot meals like BBB are a good way to go. On a positive note I am feeling a whole lot better. : )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  9. Gauri03

I can't thank you enough for walking me through that. It was very very helpful. I made the dish you suggested on Friday night but used frozen peas and potatoes instead. I didn’t have canned channa on hand. It was so much more satisfying than the stuff I've been eating. You hit the nail on the head. My all or nothing mentality is a big roadblock in getting things back on track. Either I make elaborate meals or I do nothing at all. That needs to change. Thanks @kkrish. It is a relief to have someone else tell you that it is okay to start small and build up from there.

10. Gauri03

Thank you Sravani! I think I needed to hear some reassuring words more than anything else. It helps to know that things fall apart for everyone at some point and do sort themselves out again. I've been doing this careful dance with home, work, kids and meals for a while but it takes so little to have things start spiraling out of control. I'm too hard on myself. Need to develop more self-compassion. Everyone seems to agree that meal prep is the solution. I will definitely make that a priority again. Now that my health is on the mend I am not feeling as overwhelmed as I was last week.