1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Objective of this Sub-Forum

Discussion in 'At Home' started by Kamla, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

house smells of sambar and sambrani

Hi ladies,

Nice to see this discussion. I also have this problem and as Kamla says, the coats and scraves hanging in the doorway get particularly affected. Often, not just us, but colleagues can also guess the samayal at home. In London, we were once refused a house in the Mews since the Brit landlord did not want Indian cooking smells to waft down to the regals who might pass that way.
    But here in Holland, everyone seems to love the way our house smells. I do feel embarassed and keep the house well-aired, with bathi, pot-purri, aromatic candles. Sometimes, I feel the plain cooking smells are better.My husband says that even if I live in a desert, in a few hours, there will be an air of sambar and sambrani around me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Spell on a smell:)

Ha ha...reading all our troubles with the smell of the curry, I really wish we could put a spell on it and make it go away.."aabracadaabra...roam away aroma".
    Okay...I will stop with this!
    Well, the English landlord was just being snooty Vidya. He should be talking, considering that curry has become the national food of England!! But on an aside, he is simply right, apartments occupied by our folk do leave a tell tale smell!!
    And Meena, american houses too smell, only if they cook, first of all! Secondly, their cooking does not involve the variety of strong smelling spices like ours, so .....
    Besides, those of us who are complaining here are all 'good' and proud home makers and are very conscious of our homes..or else, we too may not have noticed this aspect of our homes;))

L, Kamla

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

How can I not butt in ?

As a present Chennaite ( though basically Maduraite) , let me share my experiences here. There are 4 floors in our building & cosmopolitan with regard to inmates.
    When I enter from outside, the flavour of basmathi cooking in coconut milk greets me, everyday - the residents are from Indonesia.
    As I go to the first floor, Syrian Christians live there & everyday fish is fried just when we sit for lunch.
    Opposite our flat is U P Agarwals & the predominant smell is masalas.
    Third floor is occupied by Bohra Muslims & everyday they cook mutton.
    I always feel our apartment has a " national flavour" ! I also keep agarbathis in the foyer twice daily without fail. Anybody who enters my flat first enquire, what brand I use. So in all probability all smells are diffused due to good ventilation in all the flats & in ours, only agarbathi smell permeates !
    Ah, advantages of living in our own country !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Am I glad or what for starting this Cooking smell question.... Its so nice to read through everyone's experience. National flavour from chitra is the highlight..

:-D

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Decorating Styles.

Dear ILites,

I was wondering if we could shares ideas on decorating our homes in various styles. For eg: most of us Indians decorate our homes in the traditional ethnic style, by having brass or gun metal figuries, durries, traditional furniture etc.. Some might like to go contemporary by having glass and metal giving the Space age look. The other styles could be Victorian or African or Moroccan or Javanese or whatever, it could even be our own invention or an amalgam of different cultures.

Please let ideas pour in. I shall share some of mine too.

Regards
    Vidya

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Chitra,

May I also ask...what brand of bathi do u use? :mrgreen:

Love n regards,
    Jay

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My brand is ....

Dear Jay,
    I use Ambika Heaven always. This is totally allergy free, always available & has a pleasant smell ! Most brands induce cough !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Saare jahaan se achcha....

Dear Chitra,

Your post brought a smile to my face. But then, your posts always do!
    I enjoyed reading this, this is what I meant in my earlier post where I said that India has multitude of ethinicities and all are Indian. Your post proves that.( And so what if one is from Indonesia..after all, 'Indo' it once was!!)
    So amongst other things, my hunt for Ambika Heaven will start now:))

L, Kamla

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Looking forward to it!

Dear Vidya,

After getting a glimpse of your table, it is obvious that you are one stylish lady!:) Good taste in the art of living makes life that much more pleasant. Hope your posts will meet with lots of responses. I am also looking forward to them. Please do add your input and that might encourage the others and I too shall contrubute my two cents!

L, Kamla

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sofia Kirupakaran

sofia Kirupakaran New IL'ite

cooking smell

hi all ,
    try this one.hang a wet towel in the kitchen while you are cooking.it absorbs all the smell.believe it or not it really works for me. i do it especially while doing fish fry or any veg or non veg items.

sofia

Thyagarajan likes this.