1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My terrace garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shanvy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Neesha,

I had to have that yellow hibiscus. it was like beckoning me for the last one year and i just did not feel right about the cost. but well when dh was here he got it for me saying you want it take it..(well being a kanjoos, i need that push i suppose :rotfl:rotfl) but i am happy about the plant. the next color is a rare pink/red combo, i saw and was told it would cost me around 300rs per plant..so will have to decide after the vacation

yes, i have around 10 varieties of roses. dd loves them. and jasmine and the works..but the squirrels find the buds sweet and are feasting on them.

thanks for the wishes dearie. i am keeping my fingers crossed for my plants.

2. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Its cool dear shanvy

Do send us some pickles of your neighbour's mangoes:cheers

Its looks tastyBig Laugh

3. tom&jerry

tom&jerry Silver IL'ite

Hi santhi,
    Your terrace garden looks lovely. The yellow hibiscus is soooo beautiful.
    i too have some plants in my mothers place. like jasmine, mango in pot and betal u put jasmine and chambarthi also.. nice smell comes..

4. sabibala

sabibala New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

your roof garden is sooo nice. I too have a terrace garden. i had about 10 pots of tomotao palnts (each pot 2 plant). some white insects attacked and I wanted it to be 100% organic and so I applied asafotida + neem leaves + garlic soacked in water for 15 days. This i did as per the advice of Mr. Indrakumar( a well known exnora member). not a single plant survived. I felt very bad and now i have only palms and few other crottens. I love flowering plants. I shall upload a few pictures soon.
    I would like to know the procedure for compost. have you explained it in any other post. pl share.
    sabibala

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

Your terrace greenery looks exactly like what we had in our home in India , over a decade ago ! Only one difference .. the mango tree(s) were ours . :)
    Isn't it difficult to maintain in Chennai's heat & with water problems ?

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Shan.. thats awesome garden.. quick question... is the mangoes from a pot too .. :shock: hope not :mrgreen:

u hv omam.. eppadi eppadi eppadi?

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Prettina, i completely forgot about this thread till i came back to check out all your threads. your roses are so awesome.

thanks tom and jerry. i have three varieties of jasmine and 4 of hibiscus. yes jasmine definitely gives a pleasing smell.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sabibala,

how are you plants faring now. the white insects should be washed down from the plants frequently. i use a neem oil+dishwashing liquid combo in a spray form on the leaves now. it helps.

crottens and palms do survive any manipulation but don't take too many chances. with the chennai heat.

i have take picture of how i have started composting just now.

i had seen in one paper a double bin like container for compost long back. i am trying to find if i can get that in chenna..

till then this is how i am doing. i keep two pots. one on top of the other. the top pot has holes on all the three sides apart from the bottom. this helps in draining out all the gooey liquid as it decomposes. i keep mixing the mixture frequently. right now being orange season, the orange flavour masks the smell completely.

The second picture is of the mud prior to drying.

Attached Files:

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

GRace
    it is too too difficult to maintain that too in the place where i am it is water shortage 6 months of the year. i somehow give them their quota of water come what may twice a day during the summer. i try to cajole my maid to water the plants for the 2 months i go on vacation.still some of the plants don't survive (i tend to think they missed me.)

Nandu, omamvalli was what i was referring to. thanks for the compliments.
    i have tried chillies, tomatoes, banana in pot. mango, lime will take years to give any results. so have not tried them.

10. madhupreeth

madhupreeth Senior IL'ite

you are really inspiring us to have garden....:thumbsup