1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My terrace garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Kudos!!!!! lovely greenary my friend.Begonia catches my attention.
    Plants are the Real soul mates for us.
    Thanks for sharing and keeping us COOL.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear yashikushi,
    Only those who love nature and its beauty love gardening. Wherever they are they try to keep their surroundings green. When we moved to an apartment from our independent house our heart was bleeding for the plants which we nourished with so much care. Of course we had shifted all the potted plants, but the ones grown on ground are neglected by tenants. When we see that we feel very sad and dejected. In fact the beauty of the house itself diminished!
    Thanks for your appreciation,
    Love,
    PS

3. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

For the first time I'm seeing henna plants grown in pots...good try!!!

4. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

i was very happyand pleased to see your terrace garden with floweers and vegetables, i am a great lover of plants wether beautiful blades of grass, tiny plants or large trees. thank you forr posting the lovely pictures the aralia was fantastic i have nearly 50 pots on my terrrace for 7 years it is heavy work ,changing mud adding fertilizers removing dead leaves cutting infested braches and applyning some pestiside not to mention watering sweeping the terrace of dry leaves :spin.i have a maid now dont know how long can i continue,but i am really happy after visiting my babies and showering love and care they pay back me with smiling bountiful they are really god gift to mankind so cherish them even in small pots they will wait for you to appreciate them.:cheers
    malligashivaram

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Malliga,
    You are right. Maintaining a garden whether it is on ground or terrace is a tough job. We have to keep a constant watch on the Plants. Plants recognise the person who tends and if they miss them they show it on their growth. Even watering the plants need at most care. But we rejoice to see even a single flower blossoming in our plant.
    Thanks for sharing your experience,
    Love,
    PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Ubellah,
    Thanks for peeping in. We tried growing henna in a pot and it grew nicely even in the pot. It is still growing and we planted in a second pot also and every month we are plucking leaves from the plant.
    Love,
    PS

7. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Mam!

I am eagerly awaiting for your reply for my query on 28.11.2009.

Thanks & Regards,
    Uma

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Uma,
    I am very sorry for I have not visited this thread for a long time and so did not see your post in the thread. Now for your queries:
    1, Please check up weather your plants are affected by any insects. If you find leaves affected by insects pluck out the leaves. You try to change to farm manure instead of chemical fertilizer. For flowering plants like Jasmine, Nithyamalli, for almost all flowering plants you use groundnut cakes(kadalai pinnakku) You soak the cake in water overnight and next morning you can put it in the pots near the root.
    2.I have used big polythene bags for tomatoes. You have to make holes at the bottom and fill it with soil and then you put it in a cardboard box. You can use jute bag also in the same way. These things could be used once only. After the season you have to throw them out.
    Wishing you all the best to grow healthy plants of vegetables and flowers,
    Love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,
    Thank you for your compliments.
    Dear Raji,
    Wishing you a happy gardening. If you plant climbers like bitter gourd and ridge gourd you have to put pandal. Then only they will grow up nicely. This is the right season for growing these plants and beans as the weather will be nice during these December to April season.
    Love,
    PS

10. uma_vijayakumar

uma_vijayakumar New IL'ite

Dear Pushpa Mam!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't use any chemical fertilizers for my plants. I use only neem cake manure and bio fertilizers. Even then the growth is not at all good.
    I spray panchakavya 3% daily in the morning or atleast 3-4 days once.

Have you ever planted ash gourd and pumpkin in pots or jute bag. If so, please tell me which size of bag/pot to be used. And what type of pot mixture to use.

Thanks & Regards,
    Uma