1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

My first container Moss Garden using Japanese techniques

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Rakhii, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Of late I had been fascinated with Buddhism. The simplicity of it is so profound that I often wonder if I am missing something. While exploring more about Japanese I have comes across one of the finest gardening techniques in the world.
    While I do know that Japan is famous for gardens, I haven’t really realized how beautiful their techniques are.

Here is an attempt at my very own Moss Garden temple; I know, it’s an insult to Kokedera to even talk about it here, but the inspiration to make this derived from that temple in Kyoto. It’s an attempt to pay tribute to my new interest, Buddhism and my evergreen hero, Lord Shiva. Can they co-exist? I have to find out. I have tried my best to make it look natural, while carefully making sure it doesn’t look wild. Did I succeed? Please let me know.

IMG_7698.JPG
    Below is how the pot looked like before I started making this temple.

IMG_7684.jpg
    The elements that I chose to make the temple are:

Water: From my research, I have learned that Japanese gardens always have water in them. In case of rock garden, water is represented by white sand and they call it a Zen gardens. Water and stones are the opposites (ying-yang) which complete each other. Just like in Hindu Vastu shastra where they recommend that a home face east, in Japanese gardens too the water is expected to flow from east to west. Its supposedly takes away the evil.
    The waterfall is also called a Cascade.

IMG_7688.jpg

Rocks: Rocks and sand also are an important part of a Japanese garden. Different kinds of rocks represent a different thing and the flat rock you see here represents earth. The vertical stones represent 8 Immortals.

They are expected to be firmly placed in the soil to represent permanence. Usually, odd numbers of rocks appear in a Japanese garden and in my garden I chose 7.
    IMG_7692.JPG

Trees: No garden is complete without trees and Japanese garden isn’t an exception. Plants/trees are chosen according to aesthetic principles. In 16th century a new technique, o-karikomi, was developed where you trim the bushes/trees into balls or round shapes. I used grass here, which is not a traditional Japanese shrub. I hope you forgive this transgression. I also used moss ball. I simply made a ball out of some moss and tied it up with green thread. You will see that beside the cascade.
    IMG_7697.JPG

Moss: The shy (like me...no?) and shade loving greens are a major part of Japanese gardens. Moss is a symbol of age, harmony and tradition. You cannot step on them, quite literally, without spoiling them. How amazing a concept this is! You really cannot step on age; harmony and tradition now can you? From what I had learned, the coexistence of this visual strength and the physical fragility is what makes it appealing to Japanese gardens…human beings if you will. The tiny details of the moss/ realms take us back to the basics of Buddhism. You need to ponder and think and usually nothing is what it looks like, unless you look close. Open yourself and meditate…

Lord Shiva: He doesn’t need an introduction. I was hoping He would find Himself comfortable in His surroundings and I hope He liked His abode in my very own Kokedera temple that I made for Him. This one is given to me by my grandmom.
    IMG_7698.JPG

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is such an awesome post Rakhi! Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading the various aspects of this lovely moss garden that you have created - it makes sense. Is your fountain active there? It looks so cute. I can only imagine sitting in meditation to the gentle fall of water! Now, i am tempted to try one but got to hold off...so thank you for that virtual treat!

3. Rakhii

Thanks Srama for the feedback. I started wondering if the garden is awful and that's why no one is responding. Actually, the garden is in accordance to the prescribed designs of a Japanese Garden. So, I could not incorporate more foliage without compromising the design. Of course, one might argue why bother with it, if its not pleasing but I just wanted to see how a design will look like, if made with techniques in mind.

Yes, the fountain is active. I did not switch it on and I dont think I will unless I buy another fountain. The problem is, it was drowning the moss when I switch it on. So, I tend and fill it up everyday but cannot keep it running.

If you have any suggestions on making it more pleasing, I would love to comply.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am sure there will be others soon! I saw just about 10 mins ago! I am sure you will figure out a way of keeping that water away from the moss. Do update when you do that. And as for adding foliage, I can already see the green that is already there growing more and to keep the integrity, some compromise is needed! I did have one question though? Is it okay to keep more moss balls, they look cute - I was only imaging different sizes!

5. Rakhii

Srama, from what I have found out, traditional gardens use odd number of things, specially in small spaces. Like 3, 5 etc. Come to think of it, I should have made 3 instead of 1. Something to do with absorbing the negative impact.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Yay! Go for 2 more now :)

7. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

it is looking so divine..!your little garden is really good!like it!
    got to know new things about budhdism and your rare interest..thanks to you rakhi

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Ya Srama, will make a couple more. I might have to wait a bit though as I am out of moss...lol
    I am planning on adding a few silver flowers. Not sure how its gonna look like and I am not sure if artificil stuff is allowed in traditional gardening. Have to see :)
    After I add the flowers, I will post another picture.
    Thanks lucky. Until as recent as 2 years, i was under the impression that Sushi is the best gift which Japanese gave to the world. I was sooo wrong. lol

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

there is a flow controller in the submersible pumps these days rakhii..maybe get one that has a probablity of smaller flow../controlled..

a few succulents that would make the whole thing more beautiful breaking off the monotony of the green??? just a opinion.

i do love this moss garden.. i have been eyeing a terranium, bonsai and this garden, while a friend has been asking me to make a pond for the common apartment area.. let me see..

How about getting a few bigger stones, maybe a little sanding and a coat of just clear varnish to give that shine (if allowed)

even bamboo can be set along?? just thinking loud..

i think layers of pebbles (the flat based ones) are part of zen...and there is a theory to the layers and the number..i have read that sometime back..can't remember..:hide:

check this one too. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/150393-small-but-cozy-indoor-garden.html

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame