1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Afresh for that info. Must start barley water once again. My foot is fine now. It's just the back which gets worse.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Afresh likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is the best thing on the internet today. You have won a huge victory @Shanvy! Brought tears to my eyes. My goodness, time surely does fly. All my love and prayers to the young man. May his every dream come true.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh no Satchi. I wasn’t aware. I would hire a yoga teacher to come home and teach some specific yoga for back strengthening. It’s low impact and can help with the pain.
    Regarding gerd, you probably need the prescription Rantidine daily. It really helped my DH. After a while, with regular exercise and meals on time with two snacks in between, it completely went away. He’s not on the med now but even now a small change in diet or lack of activity triggers it. I’ve been trying to get him to do yoga. My fil tried it after retirement and his gerd is under control with just diet and exercise.
    For gerd, looking at MFP and seeing if anything you eat is triggering it will be helpful. For my DH and DD, it’s completely triggered by certain foods. In fact, my DD now tells me that she can’t eat something because it hurts her tummy. She is off milk and most milk products(other than one particular brand), beans of all kinds, potatoes, spinach, chocolate, quinoa, too much wheat - you get the picture right. There definitely is a correlation with food so the MFP logging can help!

Get better soon. Hope you can get some respite!

4. snithya

snithya Silver IL'ite

Hi to all.
    I am a silent spectator of this thread. I am also having heart burn often and having Ranitidine every day since 1997 for hiatus hernia. But I won't take it regularly.
    Try this. It works excellent.Take some ajwain and black salt in a glass of hot water and consume it. You will gwt a relief immediately. Take care of your health Sachi and Shanvy Madam.

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good to see you back @Shanvy. Sorry to her about the accident but glad the worst is over. Take care of the hand.

@satchitananda My chronic upper back problems have really benefited from regular yoga. Back pain is rooted in weak back muscles. Start with an easy low to the ground routine and build strength. Your pain will definitely ease up. I second the ajwain for acid reflux. It works faster if you masticate the ajwain thoroughly before swallowing. It burns while chewing but I have found it to be effective for all kinds of stomach and acidity issues including menstrual cramps. I take about a tablespoon at a time.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda may your pain killers are the cultprit...they erode the gut on long use..
    while stress is another reason for acidity.. stress hits the digestive system more than we can believe.

my dh has gerd a residual from peptic ulcer and you know i have gut issues plus more .. anyway what helps dh and what helps me..will just share a few of what i follow, while i have listed many tips in the earlier pages..

eating a couple morsels of rice mixed with angaya podi.. ( it is age old rice mix powder that helps in aiding digestion..it is a little bitter..but hot rice, with ghee or sesame oil and this powder is a age old remedy to aid digestion.. a post partum must.. chitvish mam and krishnamma both would have listed it..if not you get it readymade from your neighbourhood maami stores)

liquorice or adhi madhuram is very good to help in acid reflux. liquorice tea, or just add a couple of pinch into your mouth..it has a residual sweetness. it also has other benefits too.

fennel tea ..no wonder we have mukhwaas with roasted fennel..try chewing a spoon of roasted fennel with a mishri.. should help

i believe juicing has helped me a lot personally.. aloevera is good for the gut.. wheat grass, celery juice.. i do celery juice weekly twice..

if you can get hold of ashta churanam and eladi churanam.. this a 1/4 spoon into your glass of buttermilk helps a lot..it is a regular with dh. helps him a lot.

hope it helps.. keep away from citrusy food for sometime..and do not lie down after eating.. or sit still after. move a little.. helps..

take care buddy...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 agreed on the weak back, but our satchi's back has already taken a few surgeries..and she is still adventurous and riding on those roads of her city..everything adds..

satchi, a good physiotherapist definitely helps and you know better ...yoga does help, but my dutch physio therapist, says modified yoga and not the traditional once your spine has a mind of its own.. btw she was very much interested in isha yoga and sadddhguru...during my recent visit.but she is a miracle worker...

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the ashtachuran i mention has hing, ajwain and black salt,long pepper, cumin and few more ingredients..and helps in relieving.. ..because it is collectively carminative, antispasmodic, antiflatulent...am i selling it..lol..have been using it for long..and have benefited from it.

go for a quality product..

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@cheenu123 welcome .. and there are not short cuts to curing pcos..it takes a lifestyle change, reducing stress, eating healthy and exercise.

moderation on dairy, and having a watch on the food that could interact with your insulin.. pcos many have it because of stress and weight gain, while some have insulin resistant. so you know your body, you need to work with it, and not against it.

one thing i have learnt in the last 9 years of my moving to be fit, is that you cannot succeed if you think i am fat, oh whatver i do , it does not budge.. it is more about telling your body, soul we have got it, we did not go this route overnight, we messed up a lot for lot of reasons..but today i am my first priority and my body needs my longest committment as i need it for many purposes..here is the deal, we work together, one day at a time

it is definitely hard for some of us, while it is a cake walk for many each of us is differently made, if not won't all 5'8' 70kgs look similar.. lol. that is something i told my daughter recently. we have a body shape, and the best thing we do for ourselves is accepting it.. i am curvy, and i am proud to be curvy, though the new fashion industry would love to still call me fat.. the fashion industry has a underlying reason to make us feel so.. let us raise above it and work towards being healthy and fit. and be proud about how we look.

the dutch physio i referred in my earlier post is 6'1' and very huge when you look the first time, but then when you are in her close proximity, you realise her shoulders are broad and her frame is different, but then maybe that is the blessing she has to heal people with her hands..oh boy. i am thankful for that and her strength, she can get pops out of my spine..lol mean me..

just saying hang in there, and if your nutritionist has given you a generic diet for pcod without doing a thorough bloodwork maybe you need to ask her.. no two people have same solutions., but use the advice as a framework under which you observe what works for you and maintain a diary.

will come back with more later..

10. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Shanvy ..yes its a long road but I'm determined to deal with all the symptoms of my PCOS with compassion, patience and lots of hard work..

kaniths, shodin and Shanvy like this.