1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ditch the mfp @satchitananda if it is stressing you not worth it.

Amica, Gauri03, maggi32 and 1 other person like this.
  2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I was calorie counting skeptic. Like a 100 cal from cookies or 100 cal from fruits - how can they be the same? And how accurate is the reporting firstly? - Can you put in how many calories for that one spoon of coconut chutney, milagapodi and 1-2 servings of sambar? Not all idlis are equal - some idili are bigger than the others. and so on

Looking at some in IL singing praises of MFP I started just for the heck of it .Been doing semi diligently for past 10 days - it has made me realise despite the approximation, despite the inaccuracies, it does give me a sense of what I am consuming and why I cant lose inches despite working out. I have a desk job but dont drive and I do walk quite a bit ( 9-10 K steps ave), I do 2-3 cardi/strength classes and 2 yoga/pilates sessions a week.
    My limit is 1320 cal without exercise , on average I have been eating less than that. Looks good, but no, no no. The culprit i realise is the carbs I consume. i have been exceeding my carbs by 5-30 grams per day most days - And it comes more from from my snacks, tea with sugar and fruits - bananas, pears and papayas are almost a daily thing.

That has made me conscious of my snacking. Since i dont want to reduce fruits, I have to really look at the sugar( I use naatu sakarai) in my tea - something I wouldnt even have thought of cutting out.

Looks like there is some truth in the saying what gets measured...
    Lets me try and see if my waist measurements go down :sweat:

Amica, Gauri03, maggi32 and 2 others like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

SunPa, I have been trying to work this one out. As far as I can see, calories out > calories in, no matter from what source should be good enough for just weight loss. The other macros count more if you want to control say diabetes or high BP etc. E.g. I need to have more protein in my diet, but the allowance shows excess protein intake. I was not a great fruit eater, but of late I eat more fruits so that I don't feel hungry and end up eating junk. Then carbs show high.

The other issue I face is that I am not sure of the cals shown in the database for each dish. Various recipes, various sources, various calories for the same dish. Homemade items would vary in preparation. I use very little oil in my cooking, about 1 - 2 tsp (in case of vegs such as bhindi) for each dish (8-10 servings). So I don't know if the recipe in the data base is showing the right amount of cals. I tried entering my own recipe, but it asks me for the cals. If I knew, why would I go to mfp?

I have a suspicion I am eating far less than 1300 cals which is what they have allowed. I don't know if I am wrong. Today I have switched off even the macros and just stuck to the total calories. Let's see how it goes.

Amica, Gauri03, maggi32 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Amica will one day write a post on what all i sneak in and how. :imp::tongueout: Meany me.
    Lauki/bottlegourd is full of vitamins c,k and minerals and has a lot of water content. I juice it once in 15 days. It is good to flush toxins. It helps when therr is water retention, good as a coolant and helps in bp control. Water retention and bp are linked in a few cases hence beneficial.

Peel, cut and blend it in the mixer with a little ginger and mint and strain and drink. Ash gourd has similar properties and more but will write about it later.
    Most of our remedies are in our kitchen according to a few friends i conversed with over the years.

Amica, Gauri03, Indhradhanu and 5 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

No, Shanvy, let me see how it goes. Probably I just need to stick to it for a few days and play around a bit to work out my comfort level with the app.

Amica and Shanvy like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati girl please continue and i think you and, my kids will make a good combo. For a pure veg family my kids watch masterchef and discuss cooking non-veg as if we eat everyday. passionate about food, the way it should be presented and the right accessories. I see it in my dd, taking efforts to use the right glass the right plates and all even when she is real hungry. Tender,al dente, pungent and others adjectives are part of the dining times at home. Ds is a foodie. We will discuss more

Indhradhanu and satchitananda like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@maggi32 yes it was fasting yesterday and for the family it is rice,rasam, carrot capsicum sabji and salads.

And the movie was good only i could not take the sound effects. I can't tolerate loud noise.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 lovely lovely colors. I love the beetroot raita and kheer just for the color ( same with pome)it gives especially when it reminds me of my dd's addiction to that pink when she was a kid. She now hates anything to do with that pink other than paints:blush: and i am left with memories.
    I have discussed many spices in these pages. Maybe will try to condense the benefits when i can.
    Kohlrabi i make the same but with regular cold pressed oil and in a pressure cooker with some carbs added and nothing else. I top it with somw buttermilk and salads. Makes a full meal.
    With the greens,stem and tender veg i make it as kootu( it is semi solid) with moong dal and coconut jeera and red chilly and temper with mustard,urad dal, hing,cumin and curry leaves. Goes well with dosa, rotis and mixed rice or simple dal and kootu.

Sambhar recipe is just substitute the veg. Shallots and knolkhol.

A tip for the people who don't know how to check for fresh and less fiber in veg like knolkhol or chayote. Just use your nail, if it slides in it is freh and tender.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

If I am passionate about food, you know that I am paranoid about my weight.

I will go berserk if I cannot fit into those skimpy skirts. Why? I don't have the inclination and patience to shop so I better squeeze myself into ant-sized garments that fit two decades ago.

Taken 5 minutes ago ..

W789.png

On spices, will write later.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. satchitananda

Wow! Iravati, not an ounce of it shows.