1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

most of the people visiting the thread were comfortable with the names or guess they would have googled or whatever..never realised there were people who did not understand...sometimes simple things just go out of your radar.. so it was nice that manali talked about it.. and we could sort it..

if it is in the store, it is edible..it is all trial and errors.. i would not mind trying those rocket leaves, and few more i see and read about.. unless you try it or do it albeit even with mistakes or small issues, you will never know..and it is better to try rather than leaving it unknown...

so bring it one..i am sure somebody here would have tried it....

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

karanu i forgot and made ragi koozhu.. so until i try it again..

this is how i make..it is similar to ragi..but with a simple twist. i don't use rice.

i take the half broken grains and cook it..allow it to cook until 1/2 then i add the well mixed flour.. follow the same as my ragi koozhu recipe..Ragi, benefits and a farmer's breakfast/dieter's whole some food - Blogs - IndusLadies

some people who don't like the taste of ragi (finger millet) like kambu more..pearl.
    millets

When i was 5/6 years, i used to supervise the labourers who used to work in our fields..they used to bring kambu nicely cooked in mud pots without mixing anything else. being hot they will just add a little buttermilk. eat it with murungai keerai (drum stick leaves) that has been cooked dry..called murungai sundal..or with fish curry or something..if nothing a few shallots and fresh groundnuts of the fields..life was so simple..

hmm sneaking a glass of that buttermilk from those pots, eating sugarcane off the field, eating just plucked urad.. even kambu from the plant as it geting ready for harvest tasted so sweet and milky.. and yes before i forget the workers used to burn some wood and roast tapioca and sweet potatoes off the field..and that was bliss..sadly we don't have any of those things nows..life moves on..and changes happen all the time.

2 people like this.
  3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

mam thanks!

1 person likes this.
  4. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shan,

do you make your own instant idly mix for DH? If so can you please share the recipe? I would live the health mix too, though my brain tells me first I should check your blog.

1 person likes this.
  5. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

hi shanvy
    ragi benefits are really very nice
    Now i will also try ragi flour varities in my kitchen
    thanks for sharing the benefits of ragi
    share more recpies from ragi if you know

1 person likes this.
  6. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

Thank you shanvy for sharing that table...I now understand better :) I will definitely ask if i don't understand something... :)

2 people like this.
  7. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

haha yea the same way north indians are programmed to eat rotis...I eat roti everyday and can never get bored ..but if I eat rice continuously for 2 days also I feel like I have had enough for months!

2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome sujatha, realised i did not reply to you. yes varagu sambar sadham, puliyodharai, even pulao and biriyani come out well. so does barley, oats and others too. the trick is to fulfil our cravings healthily.. and before i forget eating millets does not mean they are less in calories.. so eating a whole cup of ragi can be the same or more calories than rice..

and keep joining us and discussing. yes keep following there is so much people share..and sometimes we don't even realise that ...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes i make an idli mix, adai mix and rava dosai and regular dosa mix for dh. the only issue is it will be mostly lying in the freezer and one fine day he will call up on how to make it..he has very long hours at office. .so by the time he is back he has no enthu to cook for himself.

will give all the proportions..have not blogged on it.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

My version of health mix flour

100gms each of

finger millet - kelvaragu
    horsegram - kollu
    greengram - paasi payaru
    pearl millet-kambu
    wheat - i use samba wheat here.
    jowar - chinna solam

50 gms each of

maize
    soya
    barley
    roasted chana dal
    Peanuts
    sago

10gms or a fist of red rice
    10 almonds
    10gms of flax seeds - you can avoid this if making larger quanities using the ratio because it could turn the flour rancid.
    5 gms of cardamom if you would like to have it as sweet one or giving the kids with milk and honey/brown sugar or jaggery.

(We take it with yoghurt and salt..so we mostly avoid 5gms..just 2/3 of cardamom)

you need to clean every thing...more so the millet, wheat, finger millet. you can soak it overnight allow them to sprout and dry..a little tedious for me..so i clean everything.
    roast them individually..each takes a different time cool and grind it at home..or give it to the mill..if to the mill for safety purpose i grind half kg of roasted ragi so that there will not be any other taste contamination..

This flour can be used to make porridge. then adai by adding caramelised jaggery. laddoo just like rava ladoo.. i also bake cookies with this flour..and also a version of this cereal bar
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/shanvy/hungry-pick-up-healthy-cereal-8400/

if maintained well it can stay fresh in the normal temperature for around 3/4 months.. i have not kept it for more than that...