1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Take rest @satchitananda. Your menu sounds yum and i can visualise the vibrant colors knocking me:beer-toast1:

shodin and satchitananda like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

They came. They have left. Had a wonderful evening. Our IL friends. They brighten up my days, whenever we meet up.

Collage - 20 Apr 2017.jpg
    Red poha, cutlets, Veg sandwiches, Obattu, Dahi wada, Aloo dum, Jackfruit, Beans, Red radish.
    Obattu, Dahi wada, Aloo dum and Jackfruit was brought by friends.

shodin, Rihana, Amica and 5 others like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wow!!! And nothing more. I was about to tell you ask them to pitch in and they have. I know il has given me many friends @satchitananda . 11 yrs have seen the good ones and bad. Some who have been with me theough these years while i recently saw an ilite who knew me then, ignoring me standing next to me at a pharmacy :blush:. Takes all kinds to rock!!!

shodin and satchitananda like this.
  4. satchitananda

Very true Shanvy. We are four folks here in Bangalore and we make it a point to meet up every now and then. This time I requested them to come home since I did not want to travel again after coming back from work.

Strange folks exist. I have gotten used to people acting weird and so don't take it too seriously. One more precious lesson learned from IL.

shodin and Shanvy like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Satchi! For a decade I resisted counting calories but in the end that was the only thing that worked. Tried it all from vinegar detoxes to honey-lemon water and boiled cabbage soups. :shakehead: After some research discovered that my PCOS + insulin resistance could be to blame. Women with PCOS tend to have very slow metabolisms. High levels of testosterone and cortisol make it worse. One paper I read estimated our basal metabolic rates (BMR) as low as 1400-1600 calories a day. With such a low BMR two extra biscuits can wipe out an entire day's calorie deficit. Only when I started counting calories, and restricting myself to 1200-1400 calories a day, did I start to see the weight shift. I've lost the weight and kept it off. I'm probably going to have to count calories forever, but I don't mind. It has become second nature after all this time. I eat out a lot and don't sweat it. But at home I do keep track. Working so far.

I've seen a lot of buzz about high protein diets ameliorating PCOS symptoms. Makes sense considering that the underlying common factor seems to be insulin resistance. My next goal is to restrict carbs to no more than 120-150 gms a day and increase protein to a 100 gms a day. It's been very tough. Indian diets are not protein friendly. I keep experimenting with food pairings but haven't found a successful formula yet. : )

shodin, Rihana, damini and 2 others like this.
  6. satchitananda

True Gauri. Somehow it is hard to have a very low carb diet especially in India where the family refuses to accept any kind of change. Cooking different foods for two people is very hard and ends up in a lot of wastage. However, I try to stick to more vegs, a lot of dals, cheese, paneer etc. I wanted to go on a keto diet, but it has not worked out for me as yet. Shall 'weight' and watch what happens. :) Sorry to hear about the trials you undergo due to PCOs. Hats off for managing to maintain you weight.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    shodin and Gauri03 like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 with reflux dd finds it hard to go on high protein diet being vegetarian, it becomes more hard. I have been telling her to reduce corn,peas, milk as we discussed in the other thread. Will be happy if i could design something that was easy with what is available in india and south for now. And she also finds it hard when she is travelling on her job. So have just told her to stick to food that she is comfortable and loads of salada minus the strong dressings.

She tends to put on weight when she is stressed with exams, deadlines. Her height keeps her bmi in check. Fingers crossed..

Hugs to all who are tackling pcos

shodin, Gauri03 and satchitananda like this.
  8. Gauri03

@shodin @parineetha Thanks ladies! I did add cream to the soup. The recipe is a common one. In short, the tomatoes are blanched in hot water and their skins removed. I roasted the red peppers in the oven and took out the skin, seeds and stems. Finely dice garlic, onions, carrots and celery. In a big pot, melt butter and soften the garlic, onions, carrots and celery without caramelizing or charring. Add the peppers and tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and black pepper. Once the veggies have cooked down, add vegetable stock. Let the soup simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Blend to a smooth consistency. Once the soup is lukewarm, stir in some cream. Reheat before serving.

Here is a good approximation of my recipe. I skipped the crouton part.

shodin, satchitananda and Shanvy like this.
  9. Gauri03

shodin, damini and Shanvy like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

You bet those meringues waffles, cakes and icing...:blush::dizzy:

Will it not be salty due to the brine??

shodin likes this.