1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

I have many questions about RotiMaker..Please help me :-)

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by swaran, Feb 23, 2012.

1. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

Swaran

My experience is very good with roti maker. I use tortilla brand. Roti comes out nice almost most of the time.sometimes it does not, but with hand also it dosent come perfect all the time right.yes the dough has to be loose to get soft rotis. for me,roti maker has made my life a lott easier.
    If sometimes i feel like making roti on tava,i press roti shape in roti maker and then transfer to tava.that works good too(but yes you need to switch it on to be able to press).I have made pooris also with it. Just pressed it in rotimaker with heat on and kept a bunch and then fried in oil in tava.I use it to press parathas also.
    It saves a lot of time and makes kitchen a lot less messy.I would say go for it.
    You should try it. I wold like to mention- my rotimaker also had some troubles 2,3 times..called the concerned person and it was fixed.I also keep my rotis in casserole lined with tissue and eat it within 2,3 hours.
    hope it helps.

1 person likes this.
  2. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hahaha preeti...you are right... :-D :bonk
    sabari,read the feedback given by pinksugar ;-)
    mmmmm lets see.......
    oh first positive feedback for roti maker :-D
    thanks for your detailed feedback pinksugar :)

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the thread swaran and the frank replies here..I mean nice of us to warn each other,isn't it?:):)

I have one more funny story to share..my mom bought one and was praising it for the first six months asking me why I also don't buy(usually all at home tease me that I buy any advertised product:hide:) but somehow this was a lot of work,I felt and the consistency of the dough has to be perfect..no adjustments ....easier to just roll out if you make the dough and keep for one or two days.

Then coming back to the story ..each time my mother used it the whole fuse in the house used to trip( in namma bengaluru)..so it became a question of light or roti maker and she chose light....
    LoL.

Now it is lying in some corner of the kitchen...

3 people like this.
  4. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

OMG.. Finally after a long time.. Thank you so much..
    Can you please tell me how to make the dough so loose?? Sorry for the innocent question. But please explain.

5. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Swaran,

Even I planned to buy a roti maker and posted a query in IL. Similar to yours, the thread was full of negative remarks. Seeing the red flag, I dropped the plan of roti maker and instead went in for food processor. If the dough is of right consistency, then you can make soft roti's in a jiffy. I almost roll out 8 roti's in 5-6 minutes with the dough kneaded in a FP and use maida for dusting. No regrets choosing an FP over a roti maker, I also chop, shred the vegetables for a week and store in fridge.

6. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

DO NOT BUY ROTI MAKER...puri press is better if you just want to press in it and cook on tava. My DH's taste is very high so he does not like ELECTRIC taste of roti and mine is sitting in the box packed. For those who dont find time to make chapatis or lazy enough to roll out large no. of chapatis, start making Bhakris. Two rotis = one bhakri. Just my 2 cents. I am Gujarati so i suggested.

Maybe, i dont have enough knowledge to make good roti with it.

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindian,
    Thanks for stepping in with your valuable feedback :)
    thats really a funny yet SHOCKing story...BTW which brand of roti maker was that??...hehehe
    thats really one thing that i really love in IL...ladies here really advise us as if they know us since a long time,i mean thats a wonderrful thing i have never seen in any other social discussion forum.. :)
    thanks sherin..i believe i would have went through your thread in IL too..hehe
    thanks ...will defenetly consider that option too :)
    can u please elaborate a little more about your food processor,like brand,cost,how many years have you been using ,what and all can you use it for...how good is it?. etc etc :)

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

9. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

upfsabari,
    To make the dough loose you need to add more water and knead it very well.The dough should absorb as much water as possible.Slowly keep on adding water and kneading till it absorbs max possible water.And then keep the dough closed for sometime to get moist before you start making rotis. When you press the dough,your fingers should just dig in easily. Also,adding a spoon of oil and a spoon of ghee in the flour makes the rotis soft.One more thing
    which i do is after taking out the cooked fluffed roti i smear it with a little ghee and stack in casserole.this also keeps it soft.

I would like to add-One more advantage of roti maker is we can keep it anywere and use it. I use roti maker while watching tv. My dh also sometimes makes roti in rotimaker in front of tv!

As someone had mentioned that fuse occurs while using it,well,we too faced that problem but it happens only when you keep it in a point where invertor works and if the power goes off. the invertor could not pull the load so fuses.
    So what i do is use it on some other point which is not connected to the invertor or switch off the invertor while usng rotimaker in that point.

I am really surprised why so many have bad experiences with roti maker.May be you must be making really super tasty rotis with hand!! In my case,few months after marriage when i was getting comfortable with cooking and still learing the art of making perfect rotis,i purchased rotimaker and i am happy with it since then.
    I read somewhere that you need to practise making rotis on roti maker.with practice..the rotis improve with time..

10. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks pinksugar for the detailed explanation :)