1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Tell My Brother

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Aug 1, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I am back with another siblings issue. Both in india live with parents.

Brother who is married and wife is working away temporarily and brother recently moved back with parents.
    Sister - recently engaged.

My parents are very emotionally sensitive and always looking up to my brother since i am away. But my brother has been little immature & irresponsible and he did absolutely nothing at his wedding and did spend no money. All arrangements were done by father and he was away, going on dates and friends and unavailable on phone even on his wedding day. But my SIL is smart and mature and got him into good terms with her family. She has huge family and he talks to each everyone on phone everyday.
    He loves his in-laws, goes there for week and stays. So SIL knows her responsibilities towards her family and makes sure he does it and attends marriages, function etc everything.

Now at my place, my mother already bothered by all this, partly with mothers insecurity, she feels bad. I tell her no matter what he is her son and will come back..
    Now with sisters fiance he does not show much liking. From childhood, my brother and sis kind of never on same footing. They are close to age and probably some insecurity. He was more always about himself.

Her fiance (same age as brother) is very outgoing and extrovert (like SIL). He talks to everyone and calls himself. He calls my brother, tells him not to feel formal and plans outing and spends money too.

My brother, inspite of me telling him so many times, hesitates to call him. He does but not very happily. My brother does not drink or eat meat ( he stopped because of his wife's beliefs, which is fine with us. It was love marriage). But I think he does not like that sisters fiance drinks/eats/indugles when they go out. My brother asks money from parents and never gave money at home.

He goes to his inlaws, spends money his big family there, take all gifts he needs to or give money/cash or take them moves/ theaters which is fine. But when comes home, he is so irritating. He tries to compare them that mom cooks bad. He tells parents money on things he spent on house..what. He never gave penny to house.
    Problem now is.. my sister sometimes feels bad and share with me. At this point, fiance has started feeling/telling the weirdness/disrespect of/from my brother.

Mother/sis tell not to talk to him as he will know somebody told me. I feel that too.

I do not want to attack him with - you are stingy or do not want to spend money or you care more about your in laws or never want to bring his wife But he needs to learn his respo now.

Fact is - we did not like his wife and family before marriage but we accepted whole heartdly and started liking her. Same he should be doing. My H does not like him at all but problem is with him too.

How can I help the situation now? My brother has to learn now. I live in US and my brother never sent an rakhi gift to me ever in last decade. He was kid. I never demanded but now when he is much older and settled and knows responsibilities toward in-laws, takes gifts for wife's sisters and tells parents about right- wrong, equality b/w parents and in-laws, I feel that too.
    Then he has just 1 sister (younger) to worry about, spend money on but he does not like it. He never goes to our dad- side relatives or does all those customs ( after marriage etc) or even care about it. If mom asks her to go to this place or that ( religious place) as a custom after marriage, he will not.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

OP...short answer. u cannot do much.
    Here is a post from an old poster. It hits the nail on the head. In most homes the social calendar is maintained by the lady of the house. I can tell u from my own experience how easy it is to 'forget' birthdays /annivs /or schedule get togethers with DHs side. As the years go by the involvement becomes less and less unless the guy takes the initiative. Some men do but most dont.
    The best way I think is to let go. The desire to keep in touch with siblings or parents has to come from within. Its hard I understand but the harder u try the more u will distance urself. Enjoy the time with ur sister and her fiancé.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

problem is not my mother or mil at this point. it is my brother. I want to have him know about his responsibilities and be mature. I do not care he moves in with his in-laws but as long as he carries to my parents surname, inheritance, he needs to inherit responsibilities too. My parents (75+) are running everywhere to book marriage palace, hotels for marriage. He does nothing for his wedding and now sis.
    then mother calls me to relief her burden on me and I get the load.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

A son carrying the family surname , getting family inheritance does not automatically make him responsible for the family. A lesson to be learnt here is that the inheritance should be divided equally amongst all the children, irrespective of their gender. Sometimes men have to be told what to do, so give him specific tasks with specific deadlines. Your parents have to do that if they are the ones running around.

pinkgal, sindmani and Amica like this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

75 + hmm that is insensitive. I understand where u are coming from. It is frustrating. Talk to ur mom and list out the pending tasks see if u can handle things from here . Most of the catering /booking function halls etc can be done these days through whatsapp/online. U will be surprised how tech savvy some of the priests are. Yes some of things will require personal visits ..may be ur sister and her fiancé can handle that? I know its not the norm..but if her fiancé is an extrovert he might enjoy this time together with ur sister and ur family.
    In short ...discount ur brothers help and involvement completely.

Responsibilities sadly do not always match inheritance rights. If its not too late..I think ur parents should rework the will so they are well provided for in their old age. Let them not make any assumptions.

6. Benitapaul

Benitapaul Silver IL'ite

OP, let me tell you from my point of view as I married a guy who has an elder and younger sister. If you want your brother to see to the responsibilities of your family, Have a talk with your brother and SIL and explain them. Make sure you include her in the talk because as the person before said , the lady runs the house everywhere. So if you really want your brother to change then your SIL is the girl who can help you now.

I get the feeling that you are happy with your SIL and accepted her as a person into your family. So let her be involved and tell them you two are the ones who has to take care of things now. Even if your SIL had any problems with whatever happened in past, she would definitely reconsider and will try to talk to your brother and make him understand the responsibility he needs to take care of.You can try that and I hope that willl bring a change in your brother's behavior for sure.

Sandycandy likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Such people who let old father do their wedding's running around, will not listen to words or preaching.( Laaton ke bhooth....) He needs to feel the pinch where it pinches the most. That pinch cannot be delivered by you while living so far away. Your parents have to rein him in. Continuing to give him money is not right. Though, countless old parents do it and at that age they cannot be judged for it.

Does he contribute in any way to the household? If he and his wife are living with your parents, they both should be contributing money and in other ways to the running of the household. Many young adults don't realize the convenience of a well-run household and take it for granted. If they have to independently arrange their work life and social life around the schedule of maid servant and take care of household nitty-gritty like grocery shopping, repairs, paying bills, take time off to wait for service-man ... then, they will understand.

As long as they get a well-run house so easily, he will not learn.

Your mother's insecurity, you not getting rakhi, are valid issues too, but the most important one right now is your sister's fiancee learning about this part of your family. Such weirdness cannot be hidden for long. Depends on many things, but if your sister can share a few unfortunate family details with him, it will help. Just enough so that he can put some context to your brother's behavior.

Your mother and sister are right. You better not bring it up with him. The only way he will learn is if he has to work harder for the life he has. Some straight talk about money and household responsibilities, along with enforceable consequences is needed from your parents. Tough thing while the bigger task of your sister's wedding is there in the to-be-done.

Your parents are older than it seemed from your posts. The best you can do is provide an ear willing to listen. It is a deep sorrow to see son behave like this. They need someone who will listen; who will sometimes listen without offering a suggestion.

It is tough, such times in a family. I hope you find some peace and so do your parents. For you, you have to find a way to go about your own life while all this is in the background too. Such siblings and the sadness they bring to family extends into decades.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Ask your parents to stop financing him and to save their money for their own needs. At this point, it doesn't look like he will care for them when they need him most.

Your brother does not sound malicious, he sounds immature and thoughtless. He needs a bit of tough love. You can't provide that from here; it's up to your parents and sister to stop catering to his needs and help him grow up some.

This might do the trick. Ask your parents to give him a list of things to do. Taking on responsibilities and chores will help him, too.

Don't try to lecture him yourself from here. It never goes down well when phoren family members try to solve problems in India. People get resentful and understandably so.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  9. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Living so far away, I dont think you can do anything to change your brother. If your parents are financially well off and can afford to outsource all the wedding arrangements to an event management company, please suggest them to do it. If not, if your sister is working, let her handle her wedding arrangements and expenses.

But then, your parents should be willing to have a conversation with your brother and let him know that he cannot continue to be a burden on your parents forever. He should take care of them or he doesnt get a share in your parents property. You cannot do much here.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  10. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Op,
    Your brother seems to be a spoilt kid and a pampered one. Did ur parents give him or teach him responsibilities while growing up? If no, then he cant suddenly change. He was under umbrella of parents and now under his wife. He is comfortable where he is.
    Also, being a guy or male child wont entitle him to taking all the responsibilities. In this generation of equality, all the kids need to pitch in. What are u and ur sis doing in helping ur parents? Instead of blaming, go to india early and help ur parents.
    Also, i dont think u whole heartedly accepted ur sil. More than half of ur post talks abt how ur bro is favoring sil.

sindmani, Sandycandy and Rihana like this.